1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Sportscenter:four team trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Kam, Jul 22, 2003.

1. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Van Horn showed a lot of promise too in his first couple years. Then the injury hit, and he's been inconsistent since.

2. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I think people around here give Van Horn the short end of the stick too often. The guy is a great player whom I think will be an excellent fit for the Knicks; certainly better than Sprewell. He and Allan Houston should both be in for great statistical years.

3. mfclark

mfclark Member

I don't know that Van Horn can stand the media pressure in New York. He's been rather fragile in that respect over the past few seasons, and now he has to try to replace the fan favorite in NY. That, and the fact that the Knicks have about 50 other power/combo forwards on the roster.

I just can't see big things for him (or the Knicks) this year; they'll miss having Sprewell to keep up with the multitude of swingmen in the East. Houston and Van Horn are both subpar defenders at the SG and SF positions; who is going to keep up with Pierce? McGrady? Kobe? Ray Allen? Even the lesser yet quick swingmen?

Still think that they are going for that lineup of undersized combo guards and combo forwards. Just need to deal away Allan Houston and maybe Slavko Vranes to make it happen.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Holy crap they are stacked! A scorer at every position. 3 solid shooters, 1 great shooter in Sczerbiak. 1-4 can run. That is gonna be a fun team to watch.

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

um, at power forward, his natural position. ;)

6. joeforte40

joeforte40 Member

Minnesota is going to win it all.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Minnesota is proving that cap space is overrated.

8. mfclark

mfclark Member

But, he's undersized there...and Robinson isn't quick enough to guard the threes of the NBA. I don't think the two are a good fit.

9. mfclark

mfclark Member

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

KT is undersized there by what? 1 inch? In the east? I don't think so. Just because he can play some 3 doesn't mean that's where he belongs, esp offensively.

Robinson's speed, while not freakily athletic, is fine, it's a question of motivation imo.

11. mfclark

mfclark Member

CriscoKidd - there are many players motivated to play defense, they just can't keep up with the quickness. Robinson has been exposed time and time again on the defensive end by the quicker swingmen of the league, and whether he has been motivated or not, I simply don't think he can do it. KT can't either. I just see the two as redundant and question to move considering the recent long-term committment to KT.

12. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Well I disagree. :)

I like the forward situation for the 6rs now. I didn't so much with KVH - KT.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if it improves them or not.

13. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

T-Wolves can now hang with anybody in the league. They are defintely doing everything possible to make a KG happy, hes an FA next year, if I remember right. I defintely cant see him leaving that situation now. If he cant get out of the first round now, than I agree with his critics that claim he is overrated.

14. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Well, the 76ers until last year with Van Horn have been going w/ defensive minded/scrappy type players at the small forward position (George Lynch and Matt Harpring). I guess they decided they wanted more offensive punch at the spot which is why they brought in KVH last year and now Glenn Robinson.

15. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

have so many overpaid players ever been involved in one trade?

and was that article posted by mfclark trying to imply a keon clark for kurt thomas switch with the matching salaries comment? why would nyk do that? just b/c kt is a FA next season? or they really think clark is that good.

16. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Twolves just upgraded from a V4 to a V8 this offseason.

17. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

That's what I'm talkin' about. This league needs more 4-team trades. (5 would be a dream boat.)

18. mfclark

mfclark Member

Well, it hasn't worked...they took a step back last year with Van Horn, and I don't believe Robinson will help them, either. They were better off with Harpring and Lynch...and would be better off had they kept Harpring in the first place!

19. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

All together: "Fi-err Lay-den!" clap, clap, clapclapclap

20. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Maybe it hasn't, although you can't really compare the previous 76ers w/ Lynch or Harpring along w/ Mutombo to the latest version w/ KVH and Derrick Coleman in the middle. I was just commenting on the Sixers thinking of using the three spot for a scorer to complement Iverson instead of the defensive minded/scrappy players they had in that spot in years past.