1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN Sports Science - Mario Williams Mention

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Stack24, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Was catching the 2011 College football all star challenge when they were going through the different positions and what the prototype player in each position consist of. The mixed in old and new players.

For Defensive End I was pleased to see Mario chosen as the prototype DE for Speed and Size.

Thought I would share the video on youtube and let you guys check it out.

Basically said he ran the 40 in 4.7 and with a speed to size ratio he would rank in the top 10 RB's of the past 3 decades. Nice to see him get some props.

Amazingly though they didn't use any of AJ's attributes in the prototype WR. I know for size they picked Calvin Johnson, Speed - Randy Moss, Route Running - Jerry Rice, Hands - Larry Fitzgerald.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/soNuu2G1h7c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I say that is about right.

Thing about Andre is he is the total package. He's not too short, and although he's not really fast he's fast enough to beat most guys, his route running is probably the best in the NFL right now (but can't say it is better than Jerry), and the guy has great hands.

One attribute they could have given him is strength. Opposing CBs always talk about how strong he is.

3. conquistador#11

Not really fast? Andre was a track guy and ran a 4.35 or something epic like that. The only people faster that I can think of are Oakland raiders receivers, the human bobble head in Tennessee and Barry Allen.
    His Size, speed, hands and route running are the best in the league.

AJ is not the prototype for a specific postion but rather a prototype for what a God would like in human form. =)

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Good to see Mario get some recognition. :eek:

For Andre, I would pick STRENGTH as a major attribute.

I would also pick his ability to
    slam and punch out a-holes like Flannigan :grin:.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Thats always been a strength of his.

6. DreamRoxCoogFan

Unfortunately, that's always been a strength of his. Lots of recognition, little impact.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No, i've never really seen Andre beat guys because of his speed. Speed guys usually run straight forward routes, like go routes.

Also 4.40 speed is different than game speed. Either way Andre just doesn't blaze past CBs like say Desean or Randy in his prime. If he did you'd see a lot of defenders play far off of him but they usually try to bump him off of his routes.

Not saying he's slow, but if I was building a WR I would not take speed from AJ. I'd take his strength.

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I remember him finishing second place overall in his first pro-bowl..i think they were running 40's.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Sucks that Mario has all those tools yet doesn't get enough help to let him showcase it.

I have zero doubt Andre is fast on a go route but he doesn't have a QB that can throw the long ball so we can see it. Dink Dunk