1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN sources say Nets have made D-Will, Brook Lopez & Joe Johnson available via trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by swyyyguy, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You want to get Jack off the Nets? I don't.

2. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Lol now is the time you get punished for those horrible contracts. lol

3. basketballholic

How about just sign him for the minimum after he clears waivers or simply claim him when he goes on waivers with part of the TPE instead?

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Pass on all.

But this is a good example of why you maintain flexibility.

5. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

oil market in the dumps.

6. Classic

Classic Member

That whole roster looks like one big pile of stale trash relative to the contracts.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

Their contracts aren't nearly big enough.

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

So the owner is finally admitting failure?

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

KG hates losing more than he hates Dwight.

10. anchel

anchel Member

We can't match salaries for Garnett, Deron. And we have our Jack in Terry. Pass.

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

lol at the nets.

I always wondered why they paid joe johnson that much money. $20+ million!!!

$190 million roster..*faints*

12. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Only player i truly want is teletovic...

I would like kg as a backup big, I just don't like the thought of losing terry and/or kpap to make it happen.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

I think Garnett is capable of more too. I suspect if he was a starter, was asked to play, and got the minutes he could deliver 15 and 10 much like Duncan was asked to contribute last year.

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

KG is the guy I'd want off the Nets. Having a solid veteran big man like him would be HUGE for this team. But isn't he still paid a ridiculous amount?

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

As brought up in the game thread...

Vivek going to get his jazz director?

#75 J.R., Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  16. shawn786

shawn786 Member

$12 Mill

17. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

18. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

He can still help any teams defense and pick and pop.

19. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Of Deron, Joe and Lopez, heard most likely to be moved is the point guard. Also, talks with the Kings are not dead, just in hibernation</p>&mdash; Stefan Bondy (@nydninternets) <a href="https://twitter.com/nydninternets/status/547577109506699265">December 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Simmons and Lowe talked about Brooklyn and well, how they're pretty much screwed.

As you know, the BS report is free flowing, so stick with it.

BS: ...If you had to pick New Orleans or Phoenix to make a run, either or neither?

ZL: I think the playoff race is over. OKC is in 8th, put them there and they might get higher than that. Barring injuries, I don't see anyone falling apart. Phoenix is a better team but New Orleans is a game ahead with a tougher schedule so far. I guess I'd pick New Orleans but don't think either has a realistic chance.

BS: You're looking at those teams like they're finished products. Not sure New Orleans is.

ZL: They have no assets left.

BS: You're right but they have one move to make. Where they take on more salary for a slight upgrade that you only do if you're slightly panicking and you're gonna lose your pick if you don't make the playoffs.

ZL: I don't know. I'm in suspense.

BS: It's a team close to where you live. A guy who makes a lot.

ZL: There's at least 4 guys.

BS: Joe Johnson.

ZL: A lot of people have mentioned the Gordon-Johnson possibility but I've been told no, no, no, no repeatedly from both sides. I guess?

BS: Johnson for Gordon, Salmons and Austin Rivers. They could get there. There's a lot of stuff going on about Prokorov. He's not there. He goes to like 3 games a year. They have to swap picks with Atlanta this year, Boston gets their pick next year, swap with Boston in 2017, and Boston gets their 2018 pick. Blowing it up makes no sense but paying a ton for a roster with no chance makes no sense either. I think Deron ends up in Sacramento and Joe gets traded and New Orleans makes sense. Johnson on New Orleans, that's an interesting team now. Johnson, that dude can make crunch time plays and can still do things.

ZL: He had one of the greatest crunch time seasons last year. Johnson is good. He'd help them. They need help on the wing and balance on the roster. The Nets would save some money. That should be the Nets goal. Get out of these contracts. The Plumlee holdup with Sacramento is interesting. He's the holdup in your one chance to dump Williams.

BS: They'd save $5 mil dumping Johnson to New Orleans. Another $4 to dump Deron on the Kings and buyout KG in February to save 2/3<sup>rd</sup> of his salary. He'd immediately go to the Clippers.

ZL: I think he can be traded.

BS: I don't know how accurate this is. $91 million right now, they can get under $80 with 3 moves. LT is $76.9. Those 3 moves would get them under the tax. That's their plan. Johnson has been defined by his contract but is better than that.

ZL: Expiring contracts aren't worth much. Savings is nice. Their only path to becoming interesting is in free agency. They have to get off this money first. Even if you take back crap for D-Will, it doesn't run as long as his. You can start being active and getting new guys in there but it almost doesn't matter. They have no avenue to being good in the next 5 years. Even if they do dump this money, Durant isn't coming here.

BS: Can't remember a team not having a future while also not having a present. It's unprecedented and can't believe Billy King has a job. He won his power struggle with Kidd, who I admit made a lot of jokes about but has done a great job with the Bucks.

ZL: He's a good coach. If the Nets miss the playoffs, I do think, even if they get the 8th seed, I don't think King survives it. We'll see. He's survived everything else. It's bad, they're bad and have no avenue to be good.

BS: The Garnett-Pierce trade and everything they gave up is on the short list of worst trades ever. I don't know if majority of NBA fans know they're swapping picks with Atlanta. Atlanta is 20-7. Atlanta is under the radar, starting with the Joe Johnson trade, another one of the worst trades.

ZL: How did they get pick swaps? Just ask for stuff to see if you can get it?

BS: King gave up the 2nd and 3rd overall pick for Williams, 6th pick for Gerald Wallace...

ZL: That's an all-time bad trade. We'll be talking about that 50 years from now. That and the day of the trade, he said we only think there are 3 good players in the draft.

BS: That was incredible.

ZL: Portland could not believe that trade was available.

BS: There were 2 Joe Johnson pick swaps(2013/2015). Celtics got 2016 and 2018 unprotected and pick swap in 2017.

ZL: Danny Ainge is praying no one gives them a life raft.

BS: My dad is upset the stockpiled picks. Danny doesn't think about it that way. He thinks about them as assets and can I turn them into better assets?

ZL: Let's not understate the importance of ownership. Celtics owners are smart. They give him the green light to do whatever for a championship. Nets wanted to be good right away at all costs and we'll fire you in 5 seconds if we don't think you're executing this. That's how you end with New Orleans trading all their picks to get to .500 as soon as possible. That stuff matters.

BS: They slid under the radar with that. Tragic about the team they put around Davis. It's like what Cleveland did around LeBron those first few years. A race to be good vs. what OKC did. It's a marathon, not a sprint, let's take lottery picks.

ZL: You don't win the ship when you're best player is 21.

BS: I liked the Asik trade but they're gonna lose that pick. You also need luck with this stuff. If you're the Bulls and you watch Mirotic, you would have had Carmelo on this team and no chance of anything other than Carmelo, Joakim, & Rose vs the team they have now and flexibility they have? That is one of the all-time forks in the road and they would have happily signed Carmelo. You need luck.

ZL: New Orleans is getting slammed left and right. It's not all fair. If you want to get good fast, best thing is to trade picks for established players. I like Holiday, good NBA player, they've signed young guys, they could grow into a team but Gordon is a disaster and Robin Lopez and Vasquez for Tyreke...Tyreke is okay but he's not worth his contract and because you traded Lopez, you gave up a pick to get Asik to replace someone you had on your team. That's where you see the trickling of assets that isn't optimal. You could've spent the Tyreke money elsewhere.

BS: We both know why they did that. (Tyreke)

ZL: Arn Tellem, doesn't he rep half the team?

BS: I hate giving up assets so I can then overpay Tyreke Evans. I despised it when it happened.

ZL: Timing is everything. Portland should consider a first round pick, if they can get a first round pick and like Myers Leonard for Wilson Chandler to beef up your bench, that's an asset play that makes sense. Portland has a chance to win the championship. Portland will sniff around deals like that. Portland has won me over.

BS: I like Portland as well and the #1 Jeff Green candidate.

ZL: Portland will sniff around for sure. I don't see them downsizing.

BS: They have Robinson and Wright expiring, Joel Freeland, Myers Leonard(2 yrs), McCollum.