1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN sources say Nets have made D-Will, Brook Lopez & Joe Johnson available via trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by swyyyguy, Dec 9, 2014.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I thought part of the reason he was moody was because he felt he was underpaid once Parsons and his bloated contract arrived on the scene. A bump in salary would help cheer him up at least a little, wouldn't it?

Joe Johnson doesn't make much sense to me. Not only is he way overpaid, but he just turned 34 today.

2. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources say Nets execs believe there's a trade market for Deron Williams w/ belief that some teams think PG just needs a change of scenery</p>&mdash; Ohm Youngmisuk (@NotoriousOHM) <a href="https://twitter.com/NotoriousOHM/status/615591724711288832">June 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. hakeemthagreat

Dwill can definitely hoop. He can't be THE guy on a contender. But in a 2nd or 3rd option role he can do damage. That contract is horrible tho

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

PAGING VIVEK!!!

Change of scenery???... was he not getting enough playing time in Brooklyn or something? I don't really get it, but seems to me like this is planted to try and drive some dialog about him around the league.

Any team looking to take DWill in a trade is doing so strickly because the finances make sense.

If Sacramento traded Gay, Landry, and Thompson (25.58 mil in 2015/16) for DWill (21.04 mil in 2015/16) that would make sense for them.

If Brooklyn could find a way to unload Gay off to a third team to save at least half of his salary and get some assets it works out for everyone. Maybe do a Gay for Nene swap in a separate or combined deal. That deal would make a ton of sense to them because Nene is essentially a large expiring and fits a need with the loss of Garnett/Plumlee.

Right now, NOBODY around the league is looking at DWill the player. They are looking at DWill the large contract, and ways it can be used in salary moves.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Any chance he will be bought out?

Rocket River

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think it would be stupid. I think a new owner looking to buy the team would hate the idea of having his salary on the books for another 5 years or so if they truly are looking to sell the team.

And if they are using the waive and stretch provision there is only so much you can do with a lump sum that high and with only so many years under the rules. Since its essentially only a 2 year deal, the Nets would only be able to stretch the salary out over 3 years plus these next two.

So instead of 2 years 43.372 million at 21.7 per they would owe 5 years 43.372 million at 8.67 mil per.

So a new owner looking to buy the team this year or next would see the Nets still paying Deron Williams 8.67 million dollars in 2019/20.

The smart move would be to work out a deal like I mentioned earlier where you spread his contract into multiple contracts that can be more easily moved in smaller chunks. A troubled but younger player like Rudy Gay is perfect to absorb in such deal because he can be dealt to a third team easily down the line.

It also looks like the Nets, if they resign Lopez and Young to reasonable deals, can operate over the cap but slightly under the lux tax. With the cap increasing mightily next year I think they will be financially stable moving forward.

Now will they be a contending team... probably not. But if healthy they can be a playoff team maybe. A playoff team with financial stability in New York... they should be able to sell that team easily if the new ownership sees completely salary cap freedom in as early as 2017/2018. They wont have picks then even so they need to be able to rebuild through free agency that year. A new owner will take a gamble on that being in New York.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Ballooning Salary Cap next year won't help them much then?

Rocket River

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Maybe he (DWill) can go to the Knicks? Let him run that Triangle w/ Melo