1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Sources: Aldridge to start free agency with Lakers, Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kennysmith, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Why would Port take that deal? Sure Ariza would be great for them since they lost Batum, but Papa, Jones, Dorsey, Johnson, Prigs are not worth LA, IMO. Yes, if he walks Blazers get zip, but Houston isn't the only team looking to add him and other teams might be willing to actually offer some real talent on par with what they're losing.

I just don't see Portland taking that deal.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I agree that SAS and LAL are the likeliest destinations. If I were a betting man I'd say he's San Antonio bound.

That would make DAL more attractive. But personally I don't see Jordan leaving the Clippers.

We'll see how it all plays out. I'm not claiming insider info and I'm probably more often wrong on predicting these things, but I see Jordan staying with the Clippers and Aldridge joining the Spurs.

#62 Haymitch, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  3. jacoby

jacoby Member

Teams can offer all they want, if LaMarcus doesn't want to play with them then the Blazers also get nothing. Better to get SOMETHING than to lose a superstar for nothing.

4. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I hope the Lakers get him, or goes back to Portland.

5. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

You don't need to retain Josh Smith, if LMA becomes your starting PF. I'd rather keep Ariza and let Brewer/Smith walk.

6. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

*sigh* Really? Are we still explaining this to people?

Pap's contract is fully non-guaranteed. We took on the team option for the 2nd year recently, but the contract is still non-guaranteed (I think until October, but I'd need verification on the date). That means we can cut him or trade his contract to gain cap freedom.

Signing Pap to the contract Morey signed him for was a thing of beauty. It has not and will not hurt us in any way. It was on completely team-friendly terms. This has been explained so many times in more specific Pap-related threads.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's non-guaranteed until October 4th.

8. thedude077

thedude077 Member

No it's not happening. He won't be coming here and I hope the Rockets don't get him.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

LA has a huge shot, IMO.

He lives there....they'd only be bad for one more year, then they'll be right back among the best..and its the Laker, one of the most recognizable names in sports history.

SA also makes just as much, if not more, sense.

10. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Mood killer ... :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  11. PhiSlammaJamma

I'd say we have 50/50 odds. We have the most short term and long term value to offer out of all of the teams. This is the optimal choice for winning, fit, stats, and location for him. I'll be honest, it seems like a no-brain decision unless he has a personal interest in the other teams or wants the sunset life.

12. rezdawg

Getting nothing and 100% cap flexibility for next year is better than taking on players that do nothing. Plus, why would they cater to LMA? He can go F himself for all they care..

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

[​IMG]

14. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Is there anyone else that thinks we might be better off without LMA? We have a lot of talented forwards, obviously none as talented as LMA but DMo has potential and Smith is pretty good. It just seems like to me we can compete with our current roster if we can add some talent at the PG spot.

The only reason I like signing LMA is if we think DH is leaving in a year or so.

I will say though, a post rotation of LMA, DH, DMo and Capella is pretty sweet.

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I like Aldridge as much as the next guy but he's not a HOF type of talent and the Lakers need at least a couple of players of that caliber on the roster to be "the Lakers". Signing Lamarcus would represent a significant financial commitment and they would still be without that HOF type talent unless one of their recent lotto picks really pans out and they both scream "solid" more so than "franchise". Maybe they get Westbrook in a year but does Westbrook/Aldridge+ a couple of young assets make a contender in LA?

16. rezdawg

With Kobe coming off the books and the increased cap money, theyll be able to add two significant players on top of LMA....and all free agents will listen bc its the Lakers. Their ability to add players will be easy and theyll have all the money to play with.

17. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

SnT would have include Dmo, Tjones, Ariza, and fillers/draft picks.

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

It's a long shot, but I'm glad we're meeting him. He's the best FA available, IMO. If he chooses us, Portland should be willing to do a SnT because we're the only team that has to give up assets to get him. If he chooses LA or SA they'll get nothing.

Our main selling point should be Dwight. Harden is the MVP of our team, of course, but LMA has played with Brandon Roy before. He's never been able to play with a center of Dwight's caliber. Having a bruising center like Lopez has been a godsend over someone like JJ Hickson and Dwight is that much better. Aldridge can't anything comparable to our stars in LA. We can offer him the stacked team he was supposed to have with Roy and Oden. So can San Antonio, but for how long? Duncan is on the verge of retirement and Parker already past his prime.

If it's about the money, he should choose either SA or us considering the state taxes. If it's about winning, again it's either SA or us, but we're the ones coming off an appearance in the WCF. If he wants to play with a washed up star followed by a lengthy rebuilding process in LA, then he can rot for all I care.

19. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Obviously, that still doesn't mean Portland will accept our deal. They will most DEFINITELY demand Dmo or Capela.

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I don't doubt they can be good to really good via FA but my point is, "the Lakers" get that reputations from multiple dynasties and I don't see that happening in the near future there. I don't see the personnel, the coaching, or potential HOF type FAs being available to them in the near future. Thinking about guys like Wiggins and Anthony Davis - the top couple of under 25 type guys.