1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Sources: Aldridge to start free agency with Lakers, Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kennysmith, Jun 30, 2015.

1. photojoe

photojoe Member

Just saw that LMA is going to meet with the Heat tonight.

Really? They want to play Bosh and Aldridge together? The two of them are really similar players.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

My point stands though…why cancel the meeting with the Knicks because he's not interested…but grant the Lakers a 2nd meeting?

He's always had some interest in going to Lakers, and apparently, that interest is still there.

3. Down19

Down19 Contributing Member

Not sure how that work cap wise when they're trying to resign Wade to around 20 million while already paying Dragic 18 million, Bosh 24, Deng is around 10.

4. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

I don't think he's interested in the Lakers. If he doesn't want to be a C so bad, who do the Lakers have at C? Him being charitable, IMO, is more of him (and/or his agent) trying to save face after word got around of what LMA said about the Lakers. He doesn't want to have a negative reputation around the league.

One of Wade/Bosh/Deng would be S&T. If it happened, it would most likely not be Bosh or Wade, but Deng + others like McRoberts, Whiteside, etc..

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Here's my theory:

Aldridge wants Houston. He knows Portland won't do sign and trade unless they are convinced he'll sign elsewhere outright. The Suns and the Spurs and Dallas have the money to sign outright. He tells Portland he'll sign with one of those teams outright if Portland doesn't work with Houston; they'll lose him for nothing. If Portland says no, he signs with one of those three.

is that plausible?

#765 Aruba77, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  6. rezdawg

I mean, I think if anything, his reputation was increased around the league because of that. Dont really think he should be too worried about the Laker's feelings if he doesn't care to play there. LMA did nothing wrong to feel bad.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Perhaps because he publicly humiliated the Lakers and one of the largest sport stories has been how inept the Lakers were when meeting with Aldridge?

8. Nook

Nook Member

It isn't smart to unnecessarily isolate teams and I am sure his agent has a part in this.

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I hope you're right.

It boggles my mind how Portland could be so against a S&T deal if they know he's 100% not returning. Which, let's be honest, sounds like it's the case.

10. rezdawg

Yeah, and every team/fan in America absolutely loved hearing that…except for LA.

Same thing that has happened in previous years with Kobe at the meetings…not sure why LMA would have to have a "charitable" meeting when no one else in history has done that.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Houston can jettison players to a team like the Sixers to get in a position to sign Aldridge without help. The fact he is meeting with the Heat possibly means that he isn't 100% sold on anyone or that he thinks he is doing the proper thing listening to everyone interested.

12. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The blazers will do sign and trade. Don't fall for their gimmicks.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Really? What cases? Dwight Howard? When he flew back to LA to tell the Lakers in person he wouldn't return? That was courteous.

What other cases? Melo? Nothing negative was said. Nash? Nothing was said.

Contrary to what you think, these players and more importantly agents, don't want bad blood with any franchise, especially one in a major market.

14. rezdawg

Dwight Howard spent an entire year with the Lakers organization…that is a totally different situation than what LMA is facing. Plus, Dwight returned to tell them face to face he wasn't going to return to the Lakers instead of doing it via phone or text.

LMA is returning for an actual meeting to see what the Lakers have in mind from a basketball perspective.

Again, players don't spend hours meeting with a team because of charity purposes. If they don't want to join that team, they let it be known…just like what LMA did to the Knicks today.

And there shouldn't be any bad blood…LMA did NOTHING wrong. If the Lakers are offended, then that's their issue. This is a business and LMA had already given them a chance.

15. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Is there any inside feedback on how the meeting with LMA went the other day? I can't find anything other than the LAL meeting feedback.
    I gather we didn't create a poster with LMA in a Rockets top with Ariza or someone elses number?

16. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

anyone know what's a realistic date that he announces his choice?

i feel like deja vu last year with the bosh fiasco. i'm not staying up late for this ish anymore only to be ripped off like last year. nope. not worth it.

17. ZomgZ

ZomgZ Member

Aldridge has no chance signing with houston. That would mean Gutting the team. Ariza would have to be shipped. Who is going to put d pressure on the stars? Ariza was a big key last year, i dont think houston needs another ball scorer who shoots only in the inside paint. Frankly i dont even see why houston is even trying to get this guy. They need a assisting poing guard who can knock down the three if harden is tripled team.

18. Nook

Nook Member

You are not getting it.
    The Lakers feel that Aldridge embarrassed them. Their squeal box Ramona even was talking about it.

Did he have some level of interest in the Lakers? I am sure he did and he may still.

However you are projecting the hell out what is going on.

For all we know the Lakers ASKED for the second meeting and he agreed as a courtesy.... We really don't know.

19. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

well...looks like LMA appears to be gone for sure:

LILLARD, BLAZERS AGREE TO EXTENSION
    PG Damian Lillard has reached a 5-year extension worth $120 million to remain with the Trail Blazers. Lillard averaged a career-high 21 points per game last season.
    31m

20. sabesque

sabesque Member

That's an interesting point. Lakers all emo about the news coming out of this. A big part of this could be about letting the lakers save face.