1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Smith signs one-year deal with Hawks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by batkins, Aug 15, 2009.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I will stand corrected if more than just a few of us remember how good he was at Maryland. Most people think of him as nothing more than an old decent journeyman NBA player. A few more might recall the tampering incident with the T-Wolves.

He was drafted 14 years ago. The majority of people here were less than 10 years old at the time. I doubt any of them need to get over Joe Smith not living up to the hype because they don't remember the hype.

2. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

I thought Joe Smith was a good fit with the Cavs, especially now that they have Shaq. He can shoot the midrange shot, can even score a bit in the post, has the size to guard the post, and rebounds and defends decently. I don't know why they spent so much on retaining Varejao while letting a guy like Smith go to sign with a competitor for peanuts. Joe Smith will be good for the Hawks. I think he still has game left.

3. jason3333

jason3333 Member

this guy has freakin 9 lives, if i die, i want to come back as joe smith. it seems like hes been around for a hundred years.

4. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I thought this was Josh Smith, was about to laugh my ass off.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Really odd thing to say.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Fair enough. I was young but I remember both AI and Duncan in college. For whatever reason I don't remember Joe Smith. My buddy is a huge Maryland fan so he occasionally reminds me of how good Smith used to be. Definitely don't remember the hype.

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

I'm 21 but I remember the T-Wolves drafting him number 1 and losing picks the next few years because of it.

8. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

The Golden State Warriors drafted him first in 1995. The Wolves thing was later when he signed 3 minimum contracts in a row with the Wolves with an under-the-table agreement that he'd get a max contract after those 3 minimum years with the Bird exception, which was a circumvention of the salary cap and harshly punished by the NBA.

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

Oh I guess I didn't know as much as I thought I did lol.

10. MisterPink

MisterPink Member

I was 9 at the time, but I lived in the Bay Area and I certainly remember him being drafted -- I went to some Warriors event one day and tried to get his autograph, but he wouldn't do it. I got some other guys signature who I don't remember.

Anyways, back on topic, I think he's certainly worth keeping around for the Vet Minimum, but does anyone have any thoughts on why he did not return to the Cavaliers?