1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN...Rox FA targets (fwiw)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NJRocket, Jul 3, 2002.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

ESPN Insider...Rox FA targets (fwiw)

I'd take Rashard for the MCE but NO WAY would I give up Griffin for him in a S&T...and given what RT thinks of Nachbar, I dont know if I'd be willng to give up Nachbar either...

Houston Rockets
    Team Needs: depth everywhere
    Cap Situation: Not bad. They have $48.7 million in committed payroll, meaning they're below the luxury-tax threshold.
    Top 3 prospects: Rashard Lewis, Oscar Torres, Greg Buckner
    The Skinny: The Rockets are pretty set. They have 12 players with guaranteed contracts and are attempting to re-sign Oscar Torres. If Tito Maddox makes the team, that will make 14 players. Free agents Walt Williams, Kevin Willis, Dan Langhi and Tierre Brown aren't expected back. However, one player still intrigues them -- Rashard Lewis. Lewis has openly pined for a return to Houston. Given the Rockets' cap situation, the most they could offer Lewis is the mid-level exception. If he's willing to take it, it's hard to see the Rockets passing up on him. They could also work out a sign-and-trade, but it would likely cost them Eddie Griffin and/or Bostjan Nachbar. That may be too steep for the Rockets. If they do plan to spend some money, Buckner is a tough defender who would fit well.

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Email from Chad Ford of ESPN Insider

I emailed Chad Ford from ESPN Insider and asked him why he evaluated the Midwest free agent frenzy and left out Houston... And this is what he sent back.

Rock,

It was inadvertently deleted. Thanks for the heads up.

Here it is. Thanks for reading Insider.

Houston Rockets Team Needs: depth everywhere
    Cap Situation: Not bad. They have $48.7 million in committed payroll, meaning they're below the luxury-tax threshold.
    Top 3 prospects: Rashard Lewis, Oscar Torres, Greg Buckner
    The Skinny: The Rockets are pretty set. They have 12 players with guaranteed contracts and are attempting to re-sign Oscar Torres. If Tito Maddox makes the team, that will make 14 players. Free agents Walt Williams, Kevin Willis, Dan Langhi, and Tierre Brown aren't expected back.

However, one player still intrigues them -- Rashard Lewis. Lewis has openly pined for a return to Houston. Given the Rockets cap situation, the most they could offer Lewis is the mid-level exception. If he's willing to take it, it's hard to see the Rockets passing up on him. They could also work out a sign-and-trade, but it would likely cost them Eddie Griffin and/or Bostjan Nachbar. That may be too steep for the Rockets. If they do plan to spend some money , Buckner is a tough defender who would fit well.

Chad

I agree with him, if Lewis is willing to take the MLE then it would be hard to pass him up... but I would not give uo Nachbar or Griffin to acquire him. Nope wouldn't do it. Feel free to disect the email but remeber I am just the mesenger.

3. Gascon

Gascon Member

Lewis is worth neither Griffin nor Nachbar.

4. Gascon

Gascon Member

I think you and NJRocket ought to get together on this one. ;)

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I hope we forget about Lewis once and for all.

6. Old Man Rock

Ah Man NJRocket beat me. I can't believe it. Well disregard this post. But NJ wouldn't have even seen it if it weren't for my email to Chad. So I'll take some credit for that.

7. NJRocket

Gimp...I think he will forget about us as well.

No way he would still want to come here for the MCE if he knows he will be platooning at the 3.

8. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

At this point if CD does go after Lewis it would be in an attempt to correct pass mistakes. It would however be a mistake to behave that way, hometown hero or not.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

OMR, I also emailed Chad Ford about the omission. Funny, wonder how many emails he got? Cool that he wrote back though with the info! ;)

Chris

10. shouldgetodom

shouldgetodom Member

I cant figure out whats wrong with you guys.Lewis is better than any sf we have had in oh,forever maybe.

You guys are literally in love with nachbar and he hasnt proven or shown a damn thing at this level.You cant be happy with rice long term,and morris cant hit threes.

I saw the highlights of nachbar,and while he is more athletic than most stiff euros,that doesnt mean he wont eat his lunch when he tries to guard butlers/jeffriee/etc.

Im not willing to put my eggs in nachbars basket of hoping a unknown euro gets us into the playoffs.Much less the finals.

If I was lewis the reason I wouldnt sign here is becuz diehard fans on this board hate him for wanting money.Excuse me,but EVERY player wants money and tries to get as much as they can.

Now that Im done ranting,lets assume nachbar is good,Id have lewis be starting sf with nachbar being the sixth man like cuttino was in 2000.

11. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Good job Old Man Rock. These national writers need to wake to the revolution.

Houston Rockets Forever!!!!

12. verse

verse Contributing Member

nachbar and/ or eddie????

how do you say, um, hell no!

i'd love to have rashard in houston, but not for either one of those players. eddie has a much higher ceiling than rashard, imo. he already does what rashard does - shoot threes exclusively. then, he has the post game that he's developing, as well. not that rashard can't develop one, just that at 6'11, eddie's post game automatically turns him into a threat at the 3, 4, or 5. rashard, at best, would be a 3 that could shoot and post. i'll take the 3 position player. plus, rashard doesn't hustle on the court...at all. that bothers me.

b-nach is in the same mold as rashard - great shooter, but has the reported ability to put the ball on the floor. that's something rashard has already proven to be reticent at accomplishing. plus, rashard's wanting big bucks. that cool, but on this team, the bucks will already be spread thin in a few years between francis, ming, and eddie. i'll take my chances with b-nach.

rashard for the MCE? in a heartbeat. and the way i see it, if he truly wants to be back in the H, he'll strongly consider it...maybe even take it. otherwise, in the words of Erykah Badu, "I guess I'll see you next lifetime"...

13. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

This is not about him wanting money. I applaud him for his efforts in getting the most money he can but he wants max dollars. If he would be willing to come here for less, fine.

RASHARD LEWIS IS NOT WORTH MAX DOLLARS!

14. Old Man Rock

Yeah Deuce it was cool. He ususally does... I emailed him several times before the draft and I think the only time he didn't respond was the night before the draft... And I imagine he was getting tons of emails... He is pretty informative... I actually like think he is more on the money than most NBA beat writers... Definitely better than Katz or Vecsey...

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Rashard wants to get paid. After getting humiliated in the 1998 draft, I think he's looking for a big payday. Seattle will probably be the only team to offer him big bucks. Other teams are scared of the luxury tax, and the ones who do have money will save it till next year for the Kidd/Baron/Dre/Duncan sweepstakes.

16. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I've been on the fence about Rashard and unsure how to resolve the question, but I've noticed in previous debates that shouldgetodom has an unbroken record of being wrong about absolutely everything. Therefore, I'm now against pursuing Rashard.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sounds like a wise ideology

Rocket River

18. ESource

ESource Member

NO WAY if Eddie is involved! How about KT and Nachbar for Lewis? Would Seattle go for this? I definitely would do this!

19. NJRocket

I think Seattle would do that in a NY minute...I just dont think we (Rox) would even consider it.

20. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Well said