1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Rockets will not match Grizzlies offer sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BALLhog 247 365, Jul 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. rocksolid

rocksolid Contributing Member

No doubt!

2. rocksolid

rocksolid Contributing Member

#1 can be ruled out. Grizzle signed Posey to the offer sheet.

3. wink2moochie

wink2moochie Member

Heres how i see it, we are going to not be a Nets run and gun anymore, JVG=Half Court built around the next big thing, yao!. anyways we need a guy who yao can kick the ball out and make a three, where piat comes in handy, scorin when he is needed, not when he wants. Roles players need to be built around two dominant figures, Yao and SF. No more need for big guys my friends, just people who know their job

4. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

CD is senile.

5. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Memphis tried to scr*w us by pushing us over the cap, and we just scr*wed them big time by catching them bluff. Of course, Posey was the only party got benefited.
    Start EG at 3, and work Taylor hard on 4. Teach Cato to play 4 too. Plan ahead and don't waste money on not so sure contracts. We are not going to be serious contender during Yao's first contract.

#85 canoner2002, Jul 23, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2003
  6. BALLhog 247 365

i seriously think something big is in the works for the rockets since they let go of jeff posey.

7. DearRock

Canon, are you for real? All this is because of those crazy contracts we dished out to Moochie et al. Compare what SA is doing when they lose Robinson compared to what we did when we lost Akeem

8. DearRock

Ball, the trend suggest nothing big is coming. By exposing Tmo and Posey, they are hinging on Boki who has shown jack-**** so far.

9. canoner2002

Exactly how do you know Posey will not turn into Moochie or Taylor II? This is the kind of contract that you make mistake on. A 3-tier player has a good year, and sign a fatter than fair contract, and then shows his true color. No more! We either go with big names, or cheap role players.

10. shuttle

shuttle Member

I thought Eddie was drafted to be a 4. He doesn't have good handles and he's too slow to be a three. He use to bang down low when he was in college and that was what Rudy drafted him for. He thought he was getting a physical power forward who played with passion.

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was the Texans. They decided speed OLBs for a 3-4 were dime a dozen. ;)

Here's a scenario for giggles: We never trade for Posey. KT gets a full MCE offer, and we decide not to match it for a guy based on already having Taylor long term, and having Griffin for the future. Would anyone here be in a whirlwind?

The only difference is, we lost a 2nd round pick as well.

Now excuse as I go lament the loss of restricted free agent who hasn't even officially inked the offer sheet. :rolleyes:

12. DearRock

Canon, are you comparing Posey to MoT and Mooochie? I am on record of calling MoT a punk on this bbs when he got in trouble for using weed and let his weight skyrocket to 300+ lbs. Moochie was never worth that kind of money and we paid him more than anyone offered him. Posey is a different animal completely and is worth the money. Pike cannot compare and Boki is not ready at all. The team carried MoT, KT and EG for almost 2 years. If you sign Posey and Boki turns out to be special, then you deal with it then. I just cannot see it happening soon.

13. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

A - freaking - men!!

Nothing has been confirmed. Nothing has been signed. No need to freak out over nothing. Rockets mgt. knows a HELLUVA lot more than we do.

Sit back, roll a J, and listen to some Phish for chrissake....

:rolleyes:

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Considering that the Rockets decided to sit PAT and not make any significant Roster improvement this offseason, I ask why are they not resigning James Posey, who is an important up tempo player with both defencive and offencive capabilities? Not only do we need Posey but we need Piaatowski as well.What ever happeened to the fact that Les said that the MONEY WOULD BE THERE FOR JUST THE RIGHT PLAYER.[Are they only thinking that the right player would be Jordan or Chamberlain?]

I cant believe that they are sending the BAD man back to Europe !! I thaught the USA was the home of Basketball and that he could get all the coaching he needs right here. We have Calvin and Rudy who are not involved in coaching the Team, surely he would improve quicker around NBA Players! All this makes me wonder what are they shooting for or do they have a dynamic plan to unfold over the next three years? I doubt it!

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

You guys... CALM DOWN!

Ric Bucher's sources also said that the Rockets were leaning STRONGLY towards Mike Dunleavy, and that Carroll Dawson didn't really like JVG at all. Don't have a heart attack. 'Cause that would be bad.

Instead of screaming about how we'll be in the lottery for the next twenty years, or that Les is a cheap b*stard, or that the Chinese gov't is going to force Houston to trade Yao, just wait and see whether or not this is true. This is ridiculous. Come one, this is sad, you guys are freaking out for NO REASON. Yeah, no reason, because unless the Rockets officially state that they won't be matching, or go the fifteen days without matching, it's stupid to be flipping out like this.

It's as though the offseason has made you all go nuts.

16. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yay!

I didn't want Posey back. He played his way outatown last year with a few Cuttino-esque outings. Bad shot selection, ignoring teammates, must get mine, bad shot. Bye. Ha ha Memphis. Bite me.

17. DearRock

I am watching Tmo playing right now for SA and I am saying what the hell in going on in Houston. They seem to want to clear out for Boki when JVG says he wants to win. I am very curious to find out what JVG saw in those tapes that would justifiy allowing Tmo and Posey to go and still have CD bragging that we are all set at the 3 and 4. What a flamming joke. On the other hand, the Champs are aggressively and boldly looking to improve their
    team.

18. DearRock

dha, you are right in a sense. Those guys have been acting like they have matched potatoes between their ears. This Dennis guy say that he is concerned about the message to Boki if they sign Posey long term. Give me a break! I thought Rudy T had resigned because that sounds like Rudy.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Did we watch the same player?

20. canoner2002

You know what? Every stock I picked, I thought it was a good one when I bought it. Some turned out to be winners, some losers. You may feel Posey is great now, and maybe he is. My point is we shouldn't take the risk of overpaying on possible wrong contracts. We have got Yao and SF, and we need to carefully pick what contracts we take on. Avoid similar mistakes such as Moochie or Taylor. Yes, it may hurt in short term, but 5 years from now, you have a shot at the championship. If you sign one or two more contracts such as Taylor or Moochie, you will never get there.
    The worst senario is you sign someone for 5 mil a year and he turns out to be Moochie like. There is nothing you can do. You can trade him, you can't cut him, you can't start him. Not saying Posey will become that, but we should not take this kind of risk.