1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Rockets will not match Grizzlies offer sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BALLhog 247 365, Jul 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. codell

codell Contributing Member

R2K,

Posts like that will land you on my ignore list. If I can't read your reasoning then it must not be true!! ;) :p

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

ah byte me buddy! ;)

I debated on even saying anything over here...kinda like pissing in the wind..

and what do you mean "land you on my ignore list"? You mean I'm not there already? :D:p

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

Sound reasoning has no place here. You should know that.

There is only one person on my ignore list. Ill give you two guesses but youll only need one. ;)

Seriously, I am not too concerned about our division rivals getting better and us getting stuck in the mud. We shouldn't try to keep up with the likes of SA, LA, Minny and Sac. They are all competing for the title. We aren't. I just wanna make the playoffs. We have several off seasons to put ourselves into a position to contend for a title. The teams ahead of us, or just behind us, GS, Seattle, Phoenix, Utah and Portland haven't done anything to improve themselves. So at this point, I am not worried what all the elite teams are doing.

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Mobley can guard Sprewell and Brent Barry. Marion is tough, I'll give you that. But I'll take my chances against him. Other teams need to be concerned with stopping Ming and Francis more than we need to be concerned with stopping their 'wing players'.

5. RocketBurrito

RocketBurrito Member

ESPN's sources are better than any of the supposed "insiders" here. As for Posey not signing the offer sheet, maybe his agent is trying to finagle a s&t, which signing the sheet would disallow.

Maybe if we're lucky, he saw his bluff called & realized that he'll be stuck on a losing team full of swingmen for negligibly larger (in an NBA player's eyes) money.

That's my hope anyway - if we could somehow retain Posey + ad Piat it would go a long way in filling some of tghe holes on this team.

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

That's true, I hope you're right. The problem is the Rockets are trying to trading Mobley to, I assume if they trade Mobley it'll be for a guard who can guard other guards are SF.

7. yao ming

yao ming Contributing Member

Just to throw something else out there...what if letting Posey go would allow us to sign Pike and Stephen Jackson. Would that improve the mood on this board?

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I wonder if the Rockets can't match Posey and sign Pike simply because they don't want to pay the luxury tax. You would think since they have Posey's Bird or early Bird rights, one of them, that they could sign Piaktowski and then lock up Posey.

<b>Just to throw something else out there...what if letting Posey go would allow us to sign Pike and Stephen Jackson. Would that improve the mood on this board?</b>

It would sure brighten my mood! :)

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

1. Touche!
    2. Probably...but wont say it out loud..
    3. Agreed...anyone who really, honestly thought we were making it any further than second round(at the most) is just flatout delusional...or a bigger homer than I am......D'OH!

codell...if ya werent ready for that bit of logic...check this **** out..;)

Burrito,

Well, which side are you on here? I have seen posts fromyou this afternoon acting like this is a done deal...did you change you mind?

Have we even had reliable word that Posey has *officially* signed the offer sheet (you know, with a pen and everything)?
    After he *officially* signs the sheet from the Griz, then doesnt it have to go to the league office for review and then forwarded to the Rox?

Does anyone realistically think this has happened already??

and word from the Rox so far(since the story broke about the Griz offer) is that they would look over the offer sheet and think about what they are going to do.
    How many of yall are stupid enough to actually believe that CD and Co would make a snap decision on an issue that is this important to the team? (e..no real proven SF other than Rice-a-roni)

disclaimer: the only way I see them reaching a decision worthy of leakage to sources at this point in the game is if they are in the middle of finalizing a big trade.....doubtfull...but a guy can hope right?

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I would guess that the Rox organization has something else going down in order to let Posey go. I won't freak out yet.

11. dttd888

dttd888 Member

Easy for you to say, not your money.

12. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

So whats the deal? The Rockets go into next season with no #1 draft pick, no free agent pick ups, no roster moves except losing Posey and a new coach. Are we supposed be excited about the new season? Oh come on...

13. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Wait, we have no first rounder next year too?! Les, don't tank the season yet!

JPo leaving isn't the end of the world. It's not even sure if he's leaving yet. We're Rockets fans, right? Let's have a little bit of faith. Never underestimate the heart of a champion...or their wallet. If Les really does want to win, he will open it up, hopefully. Or else we lose Ming and possibly Franchise and have to rebuild from scratch. We'll look worse than the Bucks!:mad:

#73 tierre_brown, Jul 23, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2003
  14. RocketBurrito

RocketBurrito Member

Look, I think Piat would be a great pickup, depth chart wise, as long as we keep Posey. I'll even take Piat alone if it means were moving Rice and someone else to fill in some of our holes.

I can't though, accept losing Posey & KT over the last year, while adding Piat, and thinking this team has improved one lick.

It's just frustrating - watching a team all my life that has constantly been a playoff regular & a team that made moves needed to win, become a lottery cellar dweller thanks to CD's numbskull ways & the salary cap.

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

ah..so you didnt get to see the 70's and early 80's?

that explains it...;)

dont give up yet...this is not a done deal...yet.

16. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Read the rest of my post, if he just tries to save money on the luxury tax without making the team better, we'll miss the playoffs again, people won't show up at the new arena, Les won't make the money he expected, and if we continue to not make the playoffs, we very well could lose Yao in a few years. So as I said before, the luxury tax should be the least of Les's concerns.

17. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

we have a first next year you cant trade two first rounders in a row i do believe in the nba

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Calm down guys. Noone has seen the offer sheet yet. What makes them already decided not to match? There are several posibilities here, other than Les being cheap or CD being incompetent:

1. The Rockets are trying to bluff Posey and the Grizzlies from actually signing the sheet.

Or 2. The amount Memphis offers to Posey is too high (say, more than 5 mil. per)

Or 3. The Rockets have something big coming up.

Or 4. ESPN is giving crap.

There are so many unknowns here for us to bash the management yet. Just wait till everything is confirmed before jumping the gun on your judgment, OK?

As to choosing between Posey and Pike, there is another thread devoted to that.

19. silent j

silent j Member

Two things to keep in mind:

According to Lindsey's comments on 610 this morning, they care what effect signing Posey has on Boki, so Boki obviously figures in the plans somehow.

Van Gundy has said earlier in the summer that he could see Griffin at the 3. Remember he was drafted to be a 3.

If there is a master plan in the works, I look for the Rockets to pick up a 4.
    j

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Says who? I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. Please don't say op.