1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Rockets will not match Grizzlies offer sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BALLhog 247 365, Jul 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Please tell you're kidding. PLEASE! Look at the numbers, Posey puts up better numbers all-around then Piatkowski. How is Pike better then Posey!?

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

FG% .471
    3P% .398

Shooting.

3. RocksMillenium

Man I hope so. Miami's trying to get Odom, maybe Eddie Jones is available, even though I would suspect that Jones makes more then Posey. Then again letting Posey walk allows them to sign Piatkowski and also get Jones. I can dream can't I! :(

4. RocketBurrito

RocketBurrito Member

A move HAS to be in the offing. Over the course of the last season & this summer we have subtracted KT, TMo, Collier, and Posey & are apparently adding Piat.

WTF?! Is this not na step backward?

Wasn't Rice supposed to be our spot up shooter? Nachbar? Why ditch a younger, taller, more defensive oriented swingman, for someone who is shorter, older, and is only a marginally better shooter (and certainly not a better shooter than Rice).

Someone HAS to be getting moved & I'm thinking it has to be Rice & his contract + Cat or Eg or MoT or Cato.

Otherwise this makes no frigging sense unless Les wants to pull a Drayton McClane and just make $ from the people going to see the shiny new stadium, not the team...

5. Franchiseclutch

I think its good for the rocks because with Yao backing him up Piats d will not be a problem, and hes a consistent shooter. exactly wut the roxs need

6. RocketBurrito

RocketBurrito Member

Yeah, why don't you post Posey's #'s too again, Piat is only marginally better at shooting AND HE'S NOT BETTER THAN RICE AT IT!

7. RocksMillenium

Piatkowski's shooting off the bench = outstanding. Piatkowski's shooting in the starting line-up = getting abused by opposing wing players. I would love to add Pike's shooting off the bench, but not at the expense of a well-rounded SF, especially in the West where wing players are in abundance.

8. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

H_O_R_R_I_B_L_E!!!!!

Les, screw you cheap b*stard!

Pika guarding opposing SF/SG means one thing: Yao Ming gets dunked on 5 times and has 4 personals before the end of first quarter each game. Finally the big fella gets fed up and leaves for NY or LA (post Shaq) and Les losses his cash cow for a measly couple of mills. Enjoy!

9. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Rocket Burrito I have to agree with you, I think a trade could be very coming around the corner. We have a hole at the SF position and Pike basically will be backing up Mobley.

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I don't understand the comparison to the Wolves. Garnett is already in his prime. They're contenders. Ming is only going to be entering his second season and the Rockets have yet to make the playoffs. The teams aren't playing for the same things right now. The Wolves aren't the Rockets' competition.

11. RocketBurrito

RocketBurrito Member

I once again point out that this doesn't make sense alone unless he's being brought in solely to back up Cat. Problem is that Piat isn't really a SG.

Isn't Rice supposed to be our spot shooter?

Is he gonna ride the pine while Piat starts?

Doesn't this bury Boki?

Doesn't this make us way worse defensively?

How does this solve our backup PG & rebounding PF issue?

12. beyao

beyao Contributing Member

Everybody is over-hyping the "great" defense of Posey. Being pretty good at racking up steals does not necessarily equate to being a great defensive player. I don't remember him consistently locking guys up, a la Ron Artest. I don't remember seeing him bodying up opposing teams' top perimeter players and getting into their heads a la Rick Fox or Kobe Bryant. On the offensive end, he was a decent slasher but had a tendency (as do many Rockets) to confuse activity with achievement. Getting open only requires a hard fake one way and going the other, not telegraphing where you want to go and then attempting to sprint to that spot before the defender does. I also remember him at times thinking he had to shoot the ball everytime he touched it, though I suspect he did that out of survival mode due to our guards' ball hogging tendencies.
    Pike is actually a better slasher in the half court; even on the Clippers he was able to leverage his deadly outside shot to fake defenders out and get to the hole unaccosted. Pike is a more disciplined offensive player and will make teams pay for doubling down on Yao and helping out on Stevie. Pike is also a smart veteran who can provide some much-needed leadership. So if Posey wants to play for Memphis and they're willing to play him what he wants, I say bring on the Polish Rifleman!

13. RocksMillenium

My point isn't about the Wolves being the competition, they're not. What I meant in that post is that the Wolves added Sprewell, adding another big time wing player to the West. Losing Posey makes us vulnerable to teams like this that keep adding wing players. Look at Seattle and Phoenix who ARE our competition. Their wing players are going to destroy us if we run Pike out there. That's what I mean.

14. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

ok.. if Jeff Posey get's away for 3 million dollars then Les Alexander is about as cheap as Drayton McClain Jr which isn't easy to do.

I'll believe the rockets won't match that weak offer in 15 days. It just doesn't make sense not to.

New Arena = More Money = Cheap b*stard of an Owner

15. Franchiseclutch

The way i see it, everyone on the team will be good at Defense from now on because of JVG

16. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Especially since we didn't have a 1st round pick!

Guess that stupid saying "Takes one to know one" is right.

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well, I can't really be too upset because I knew they were hamstrung by the salary cap. Also, I felt that with the Rockets essentially staying put while everyone else improved their teams, they would not make the playoffs anyway and so far I feel confident in that assessment. With Posey gone, they now have severe matchup problems with the teams in their conference and division.

It's going to be a loooooong year. For the first time in years I'm considering not getting Directv's NBA League Pass because I no longer have any real enthusiasm to watch the Rockets this year. Their games were so godawful to watch I don't know how much more I could stand.

18. Thanos

Thanos Member

EXACTLY my thinking, Kayman. Call me an alarmist if you want to, but we are witnessing the future of the franchise unraveling before us. Fail to surround Yao with quality players and make him suffer losing season after losing season without making the playoffs and expect both he and the chinese brass to move him without hesitation when the time comes. The chinese take Yao's presence in the NBA very seriously, and they won't accept such a thing.

*******, I feel like I'm hallucinating. Maybe I have wandered into the Clippers board somehow, as they are the ones who have a frickin history of losing their free agents without any compensation whatsoever...

Oh. Wait. They just signed Brand for 82 mil, offered 60 mil to Arenas and are going to match Spaghetti... which leaves us with Les next in line to be the NBA's cheapest owner...

Just wait when that shiny new arena of yours becomes the barren land that the Hawks arena is after Yao leaves. Just wait. The man is just getting his new arena and he can't bite a contract for FEARS of a possible future luxury tax?

Spare me this nonsense.

Ok. I'm rambling. Enough for now.

19. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Two things...

First,
    Wasnt today the day that Posey was suppose to sign the offer sheet?

Second,
    If that is true, how the hell has the Rox organization had time to even see the offer sheet to make the decision not to match it?

another question...how often are ESPN's "sources" correct? Would you say they have been better than 50% correct?

I know that most of you knee jerking chicken littles out there wont even acknowledge the voice of reason I am tryin to present here...
    but what do the rest of you think about the likelyhood that the Rox have even had time to make the decision whether or not to match yet?

I say Bucher's sources are full of it.

20. land_sharks

land_sharks Member

They (Rox management) know something we all do not. BOKI is going to be a stud? They've committed to him, and lost their hedge in the process. We may be wishing for a POSEY by mid-November. Pike is a great guy off the bench, but I see him playing a lot, A LOT, of minutes next season.