1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Rockets will not match Grizzlies offer sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BALLhog 247 365, Jul 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

There are different numbers out there about Memphis's offer but I seriously doubt Posey'd go for $3 mil/ yr.
    We've already offered him rock bottom price of 2.4 mil. I think we would match up to $4 mil for sure. Don't know about any figure higher than that.

2. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I think this just might push the Rockets to trade Rice. They have to do something, just to assure themselves of making the playoffs in th West. The luxury tax should be the least of Les's concerns right now, if this team doesn't make the playoffs for 5 straight years, no one is going to show up at the shiny new arena, meaning Les doesn't make money.

3. mrgoubople1

mrgoubople1 Member

r****ded!!!!!!!!!:mad:

hey les, tanking for lebron should have been done last year!

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

You don't know that. It has not yet been determined that there will be a luxery tax for next season. The luxery tax as figured is for the 02-03 season.

Plus I would much prefer that we blame the extra 3 mill (if there is a luxery tax for the upcoming season) on Moochie, Taylor and Malony.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/grizzl...2128741,00.html

Grizzlies pick free agent Posey
    Added: 23rd July, 2003 8:03 AM ET

It is believed that the Griz offered Posey more than half ($3-$3.2 million for the first year) of their $4.9 million midlevel exception.

The Rockets made Posey a qualifying offer starting at $2.445 million.

6. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

The rockets need to be placing a call to TMO, with the Spurs signing Horry they will have no room for him.

7. Thanos

Thanos Member

Ridiculous. Completely ridiculous that the team has become THAT cheap that it cannot match a freakin 3.2 million offer for a player of Posey's caliber.

You know what? If this turns out to be true I hope the cheap bastards are outbid on Pike by someone else and we end up with neither.

CRAPPY offseason!

When a team like the Wolves, that happen to be located in a much smaller market than Houston and doesn't have the cash cow that Yao will turn out to be can improve their roster like their did and we end up losing players like this, well, it's time to analyze Les the Yankee indeed and label him a cheap sonnova.

You guys are blind if you blame this one on CD.

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well Damn.

I'm gonna wait until the details come out, such as the actual value of the deal, but this just doesn't make much sense to me. If it's this 3.2M figure, Piatkowski is not going to be much less.

The Real Shady- We don't even know if there will be a luxury tax, and even if there is, how much less will Posey cost than Piatkowski? I don't expect Piatkowski to be getting much less than half the MCE, which would be 2.5 mill. If these figures are within a mill, color me confused as to why we're doing this. Like I said in my other thread, this could be about the fact we already have about 35 million dollars in salary earmarked between 4 players 4 years from now. We'll see.

Also, I don't consider Bucher the end all be all...considering the Rockets haven't even gotten the official stuff, I don't think they'll be so hasty as to make a decision not to match more than 2 weeks before they have to.

#28 NIKEstrad, Jul 23, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2003
  9. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I like our chances with Steve / Moochie; Cat / Hawkins; Posey/Rice/Boki; Taylor / Griffin; and Yao Ming / Cato. I was sad to see us let T-Mo go away.

If we lose Posey without doing anything significant by way of a trade or FA signing (sorry, Pike is not significant), then we can look forward to another lottery year. :(

10. nene

nene Contributing Member

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

"P*ssed off" doesn't even do justice to how I feel right now. So we replaced KT and James Posey essentially with Eric Piatkowski. Brilliant! I hope he knocks down 10 3s a game, because that's the only thing that is going to offset opposing wing players absolutely BUTCHERING us! Posey helped our defense big time. So you trade defense for perimeter shooting!? The Rockets better get a quality wing player because if our SF core is Piatkowski, Rice, Nachbar and Hawkins we are in serious crap. I mean SERIOUS crap because this team is going to get abused on the wings like you've never believed. The Wolves add Sprewell and we respond by getting rid of one of the few players we have that can guard a man like that? I give up.

12. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Jaz wondrin how we can employ JVG's DEFENSIVE System if we let go of our best defensive minded player?

13. RocketBurrito

RocketBurrito Member

Head to Head

Posey

2002-03 Statistics
    PPG 10.8
    RPG 5.1
    APG 2.2
    SPG 1.28
    BPG .18
    FG% .411
    FT% .833
    3P% .306
    MPG 30.3

Piat

2002-03 Statistics
    PPG 9.7
    RPG 2.5
    APG 1.1
    SPG .53
    BPG .15
    FG% .471
    FT% .828
    3P% .398
    MPG 21.9

Posey is better all around and much better on D. Piat shoots almost 40% from the 3 vs. 30$ for Posey. Posey played more minutes. Piat is about 7 years older than Posey. Who is worth more?

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If indeed Boki is our future 3(big if), Posey would be just another overpriced backup. Most likely Pike will take Moochies minutes while Posey would take Hawk's and Boki's minutes. So the question is "Is Posey-(Boki+Hawk) greater than Pike - Moochie?". I would say "no" so I think this is a better deal.

15. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

I am glad you have your priorities straight. Les's tax-subsidised, Yao_Ming-generated millions are more important than the team!:rolleyes:

16. RocketBurrito

RocketBurrito Member

Guys, even w/ his career stats - Piat isn't exactly Larry Bird as far as shooters go. Hell, Wes Person might be a better addition if all we wanted was a spot up shooter.

If this is true, the only one of our starters who can play a lick of defense is Yao, and most of that is through sheer physical dominance.

17. BALLhog 247 365

word

18. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I'm thinking we'll still make one more move. either a trade or another free agent pick-up. I'd rather spend our MLE for 2 quality players for 1 player. Well I hope that's the way we go.

19. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

1. better call Tmo.

2. boki better be ready to start.

this is just horrible.

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

"P*ssed off" doesn't even do justice to how I feel right now. So we replaced KT and James Posey essentially with Eric Piatkowski.

Almost the exact words of a post I was too disgusted to push the submit button on.

Maybe there is another trade going down. It is the only rationale I can think of.

:(