1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Rockets to pursue Andrew Bynum and Josh Smith if Howard rebuffs them

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Give Bynum the min. If he don't accept then who cares?

2. AXG

AXG Member

No to Bynum. I wouldn't mind Smith as a third or fourth option on a stacked team but he's clearly not worth the max he's asking for.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Thats silly, they drafted 3 superstars.

We didn't.

4. Possum

Possum Member

I don't mind Howard so longs as we add him to the current team. Same goes for Smith. Bynum isn't worth a roster spot.

5. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

this :eek:

6. jocar

jocar Member

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

When has ESPN ever known what the Rockets are gonna do? When has any sports commentator/reporter ever known what the Rockets are gonna do?

8. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

sign and trade involves bird rights though doesn't it?

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No way in hell Gasol gets amnestied. MWP will be the guy for the Lakers to get amnestied. Gasol still has trade value (even with the injury) and will garner the Lakers something this summer . . . if they even decide to trade him at all.

That said, I agree with Gasol (assuming relative health) being an optimal backup plan. Even if the Rockets are just shy of having enough cap room, they could do something like Terrence Jones and another piece, maybe a pick, for Gasol.

Not anymore. The latest CBA disallows the "Bird benefits" of a S&T.

10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Sign Howard to the max and then offer Smith what's left. Smith is not a max player but he does deserve 10 million plus.

11. BimaThug

Supporting Member

There won't be anything left if the Rockets sign Howard. Hell, they probably don't even have a enough room right now to sign Howard to begin with (they'll have to make some moves to clear the additional space). Unless Smith wants to play here for the $2.652 million "Room" Exception, there's no way the Rockets are adding both Howard and Smith via free agency. (Now, it's still possible that one could be acquired in a sign-and-trade, but that would involve moving at least one of Lin or Asik.)

12. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

If we were to sign Howard, wouldn't we be able to then trade Asik in a sign and trade. I am sure a team like ATL would love to have Asik and we would not longer have a need for him considering we would have howard.

13. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Did you not read the last sentence of the post you just quoted? :p

Yes, hypothetically speaking, the Rockets could manufacture a sign-and-trade for Smith using Asik and probably 1-2 additional pieces. Of course, Smith himself would have to really want Houston, as S&T deals no longer benefit the player over signing outright with a team that has the necessary cap space.

14. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

This.

15. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Oops. somewhat embarrassed now.

I would think Smith would love to play for houston if we had howard signed.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'd see adding Josh Smith and Bynum as the worst case scenario.

Bynum is broken Yao version 2.0 and Smith is a volume shooting, proven loser and choker. I wouldn't want either on the team. If I had to pick, and if he'd come for a short, small contract, I'd take Bynum maybe but I'd never want Smith.

17. Little General

18. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

No, it doesn't work that way.

The new CBA explicitly states that a sign and trade contract may not offer Bird Raises of 7.5% nor the extra Bird Year.

Dwight doesn't get to keep the extra $30M if he does a sign and trade. He loses all his bird rights benefits in a sign and trade. They closed the loophole, so that he can only keep his bird right benefits (extra year, bird raises) if he stays on his previous team, not if he does a sign and trade away from that team.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

You're right. Forgot the timings of these things. That said, if Howard either through backdoor channels or officially declares that he's staying with the Lakers before June 30th, the Rockets IMO should just keep the team options. In which case, my hypothetical offer to Bynum would decrease to whatever cap amount we have left. I really doubt that'll be the best offer on the table, so I don't think he'll take it. Same with Josh Smith.

20. haydenfisher342

If its degeneration give bynumz zero contract. Roy #2 no thank you

Dhoward, max but see if he will take less to bring 1 more allstar player.

Dhoward needs a ring bad, because after the Lebron fiasco nothing going to fix it unless he gets a ring.