1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Rockets to pursue Andrew Bynum and Josh Smith if Howard rebuffs them

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

But they've been saying this about Bynum for years.. if, if, if he can be healthy..

2. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Dwight to LA: "Im signing with Houston."

LA to Dwight: "But, but we can give you 30 mil more!"

Dwight: "Signing with Houston. Sign and trade or lose me for nothing"

Most of the time the teams take something rather than nothing. So that 30 mil doens't matter in the end bc they will just sign and trade him for a **** pick and he still gets his 30 extra.

3. SwellyExpress

SwellyExpress Member

Dwight or nothing. If we cant get him then we just need to play another season, build up more chemistry and then sign kevin love in 2014. He is the perfect fit for this team.. a big elite rebounder who can score in the post and shoot the 3. He is literally tailor made for this offensive system, and he'll give us some size on the defensive end that we are badly lacking.

Of course im not murray so i wont be making the decisions, but i think a lin harden parsons love asik line up, plus some solid bench players, is a contender.

Best case scenario for this summer: cp3 and dwight take less money to play with us

Worst case scenario: we sign andrew bynum

4. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Why would you want Gasol. The dude is slow as hell. And he's not a great 3pt shooter. Just doesn't fit this team and he's going to be exploited w/ pick n roll...teams are going to take advantage of his slow ass lateral bs....i rather play Motij rather than Gasol.

5. dje243

dje243 Member

You could win a Championship with Asik at center. This is why I prefer Smith over Howard and Bynum. Asik is on his way to developing into a top 5 center and he's only in his first year as a starter with no real injury history. I think you look at PF for another star... And long term the best fit would be Love. You have to put yourself in position to deal with Minny when they realize love isn't going to resign there. If we get j smoove you can be a high playoff seed in the present and build a trade package around him for Love when the time comes.

6. dc1985

dc1985 Member

I don't understand why the talk about getting a center. I love Omer Asik and think we should stick with him. He is young and will only get better. I can see him being a 15/15 guy once he fully develops. I would get Josh Smith but not at the max. If it has to be a max deal I save the money and go for Kevin Love in 2014. We got a second star in the making in Chandler Parsons. Our players are young and will continue to develop.

Asik
    Smith
    Parsons
    Harden
    Lin

That starting 5 along with a solid bench can compete. Don't forget Beverly, D-Mo, T-Rob, Terrence Jones, Royce White. They are still developing and will only get better they can contribute for us or we can flip them for someone who can. Plus the role players like Delfino, Garcia, Brooks can be solid off the bench. We can compete with what we got it might take a year or two to fully develop the young guns but we have the talent to do this.

Dont spend money just to spend it. No Bynum, Josh Smith at the right price or wait a max out for Kevin Love in 2014.

7. SirKen

SirKen Member

This.

I mean Asik is already pretty good and he keeps improving. What do you want from your center? You guys really want to replace him for the slight offensive edge one of the other centers could bring at the expense of team chemistry?! I don't get it. Isn't it better to just see if one of our PF candidates pan out and then try to trade for that position?

Then again, some people just love brand names...

8. mattlivin05

mattlivin05 Member

I think the idea is to just add a center with Omer. The last few games Omer has gotten a double double in just 23-26 min, bring in Howard, Bynum or a josh smith to play small ball center ala Thomas Robinson at center. Have Howard or Bynum start and have Omer come off the bench and still get his 23-26 mins of his usual production.
    If Omer doesn't mind playing late in games in the 4rth quarter I'm sure he won't mind not starting as long as he gets his usual workload.
    Or get josh smith to start at PF and slide over as a small ball center when Omer is on the bench and Bynum in foul trouble.

9. Habs

Habs Member

I'd honestly rather have Paul Millsap or Al Jefferson.

With Jefferson, you know he's giving you 18 and 8. Plus, he won't b****, cry, and whine to the media. Then stab his teammates in the back like Howard. Dwight's too much personality like McGrady, not enough like Duncan.

With Millsap, well he won't cost near the max. He'll fit well next to Asik. Unlike Bynum, you know he's giving you a full season -15 & 7. Same with Josh Smith - who would actually be the perfect fit.

Go for Jefferson (18 and 8, points in the low block are crucial). But either Josh Smith or Millsap would be an excellent consolation prize that would work out better for the Rockets than Howard/Millsap.

10. teebone21

teebone21 Member

ESPN=trash

11. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

and you are one of the Lin haters, you and ilJames have no credibility when it comes to talking about Lin. Look when you registered and your name, obvious Lin fan troller.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

He won't get that extra 30 million in a S&T.

5 years ~117 million(Lakers only)
    4 years ~88 million(If he walks or in a S&T)

13. Akim523

Akim523 Member

At this stage, knowing how ****ed up both Dwight and Bynum are, I'd take Smith in a heartbeat

14. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

What's this obsession with Bynum? I know you can't teach size, but if that size is in street clothes, is harmful for your team. Big guys are no longer the same, after they continuously had foot/leg/knee problems.

Do we really need this super high risk, and maybe above average return? I thought Morey is a math guy.

Why can't we just live with a defense oriented 5, just like every single other team out there, which by the way, Asik has been doing a terrific job, exceeding everyone's exception? Why can't we get a better 4?

15. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Bynum--NO (because of injuries--derp)

Howard--I really really like Asik as our center. I get that Howard is overall better but would he fit in our run & gun style of play? He and Asik are equal on the rebouding front but Howard gives you more points---this team isn't lacking for scoring, so I don't think his additional scoring capabilities does ANYTHING for the team.

Smith--I like Smith but not as a max player. He'd be a good #2 or #3 to Harden & Parsons...but at the right price. I still really like the potential DMO and Robinson bring and just because Smith is a recognizable name, people want to jump all over him.

My sense is Smith will be offered a max contract somewhere, and it won't be with Houston because Morey won't overpay, especially if our young PFs show signs of life.

Howard will stay in LA--too much money and glamor for him there.

Bynum will stay in the hospital. How did his potential pay off for the 76ers?? Completely not worth the risk if you are only marginally 'upgrading' over Asik (points not rebounds or defense) and that upgrade may or may not play a day for you in uniform. no thanks

16. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

In Murray we trust.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Listen, at some point you have to use your cap room on somebody. Sure, Bynum and Smith have some serious red flags, but endlessly waiting for the perfect player to show up (who never does) is just as bad as signing injury prone or flawed players.

I don't particularily care for Bynum or Smith as people or really as safe buys, but just straight up adding them to our current group of players certainly makes us a better team for the next couple of years.

If you sign them both to 3 year deals with the third year team options, you really aren't killing that much flexibility as they could be gone (via team option) by the time Love and Aldridge hit the market after two years.

You can sign one to a 12 or 13 million dollar deal and then have the other one SnT'ed to us for say Garcia/Trob. I don't think losing Trob is so bad when you consider this potential lineup:

Lin / Beverly / Brooks
    Harden / Delfino
    Parsons /
    Smith / Dmo / Jones
    Bynum / Asik / Smith

With that I think we move ahead of Memphis as the 3-4 seed in the West.

We have a really big problem when Asik is not the floor and having a front court rotation of Asik/Bynum/Smith is a heck of a lot of size and length to help out.

Worst case scenario is Bynum's career is over and he sits out the next two years.

Its really not as bad as people make it out to be.

18. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

Why OKC didn't use all their cap space a few years ago, when their young core is emerging and made the playoff?

They patiently developed the young players, and most of them improve rapidly every year. Their young stars became better than anyone they could've signed in free agency.

19. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

and blocked shots

20. Habs

Habs Member

That would actually be beyond brutal for the Rockets.

They'd have Bynum on the books as a max contract, and he'd be missing 60 games a season, being in and out of the lineup, never knowing when he's playing. It's be like the last 2 years of T-Mac's career here all over again.

Because they already had 2 max players in Westbrook and Durant. And bigger contract guys in Ibaka and Perkins, which is why they had to let Harden go. They had no "max contract to give" because they already gave them out to Durant and Westbrook.

1 person likes this.