1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Rockets to pursue Andrew Bynum and Josh Smith if Howard rebuffs them

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 9, 2013.

1. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Pretty much sums it up

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Must be at least brought up in meetings, 2nd time in a month this has been mentioned.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

In Morey We Trust.

5. conquistador#11

i'd rather develop our own fours if we can't buy divaman dwight. That's why it's so important for the lakers to not make the playoffs.

6. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

Lakers can give Dwight 30 mil more than anyone..Dwight's staying in LA...

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The 2013-14 salaries for both Delfino ($3 million) and Brooks ($2.508 million) become fully guaranteed if they are not waived on or before June 30. Given that the Rockets won't really have a chance to even talk to any major free agents until July 1, and given their need for cap space this summer, I doubt that either Delfino or Brooks are on the team next season . . . on their current contracts.

More likely, you will see the Rockets either (a) work out a draft day trade of one or both of those guys for SOMETHING of value (maybe a present or future second round pick?) or (b) they will find a taker for one or both of them, which may or may not be consummated after the July Moratorium (depending on the destination team's cap situation).

As basketballholic suggested in another thread, the Rockets could still possibly bring back Brooks (or Delfino) this summer using their Room Exception ($2.652 million) or their remaining cap space, if any. My guess is that Delfino may have outplayed the Room Exception amount, though, and could get more than that in free agency.

8. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

I'd rather just roll with the team we have now. Let them learn and grow together. We don't need that ME mentality on this team and that's all Howard or Bynum will bring. Josh Smith only if its not a max contract.

9. jimbo0488

jimbo0488 Member

With the way Parsons is playing he could be a 3rd star with Harden and Smith/Bynum in your scenario.

10. jimbo0488

jimbo0488 Member

I would be okay with Josh Smith but I do not want Howard.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

NONONONONONONO to Bynum.

NONONONO.

NONONONO.

12. dje243

dje243 Member

I'd take Josh Smith over the others.

13. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

After seeing the ending of the fourth quarter of the hawks vs Celtics, I saw smith make some really stupid plays. Behind the back bounce pass to a player surrounded by 2 celtics? Yeah i wouldn't want him at the max, but at his current contract I'd be ok with him.

Out of the three players, I'd want Howard. No way to Bynum unless it's for one year only (pretty much what everyone here has said)

14. dje243

dje243 Member

Yup. Smith + Trob/Dmo could be enough to get it done.

15. AlbanyFan

AlbanyFan Member

Asik is better than either of them. I like the team just how it is. No changes.

16. pass_to_Hakeem

^^^^^ no thanks to Howard unless he grows the F#%* up!!!!

17. AlbanyFan

AlbanyFan Member

I'd much rather develop talent than sign it. The Rockets are great as they are. No changes. Just let the team learn to play with each other. And get rid of McFail.

18. cml750

cml750 Member

^^^^^ This!!! I just don't understand why so many want Howard after seeing what kind of whiny baby he is, not to mention his injuries.

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

While ultimately I would want Howard - I am still not sure if he will leave LA. That will always be Kobe's team until he retires -- i dont think that is going to change. Here it would be a combination of him and Harden but we'll see.

I think Josh Smith would be an excellent addition AT THE RIGHT PRICE -- if he is looking to get a max deal or near max no way -- around 8-10 a year? i am there. The guy is great defensively, but is way too inconsistent on offense and doesnt play to his offensive strengths as much as he should.

I think Bynum is the most intriguing of the 3 though -- he is right now the ultimate "high risk, high reward" guy and his stock is at an all time low right now. If his knees are good again after surgeries and all then he has a much better offensive game as dwight and is a great rebounder and shot blocker on the other end. The problem is everything about Bynum screams immature - I have no idea how hard he has worked so far during his rehab to improve (it seems very little from reports) - Bynum to me appears to be a better DeMarcus Cousins at the moment (talent both ends of the floor but a knucklehead). Bynum wanted to be much more involved in the offense in LA but was never allowed to and it effected his game on both ends. I think he can be a better player here or on a team where he is featured more on the offensive end and thus plays better defensively. Again the big Q is how will his body hold up.

Honestly I think if the Rockets want a stop gap and not hurt their 2014 cap space with a larger FA class -- they should pursue Pau Gasol and send back the lakers a large TPE and future pick and terrence jones. Gasol is the perfect player for the Rockets right now - can hit the jumper, great in the post, very underrated passer and a very solid defender, shot blocker and rebounder. More importantly a guy they can run their offense through when Harden is off/on the bench.

1 person likes this.
  20. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Bynum just missed a whole season do we really need to explain why this is a no?

And Josh Smith?.... no