1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Rockets to pursue Andrew Bynum and Josh Smith if Howard rebuffs them

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 9, 2013.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'll agree about the future trade chip (see also: Love, Kevin), but a lot of people here seriously undervalue Josh Smith.

OK, it was a loss (barely), but in the game against the Lakers, toward the end, he made a couple of sick passes/assists. Granted, he can turn the ball over, too.

But for a player who can score, defend, pass....hell, I'll be glad to have him. Although we'll need yet one more player who plays some serviceable D. Our guys are just this side of atrocious. In that regard, they make Kenny Smith look like Scottie Pippen.

2. basketballholic

What is underrated about Josh Smith the most is his defensive impact and his ability to run the floor in transition.....which is a serious critical component that we are missing.

The downside of Smith is he is a flake job, a mixture of Demarcus Cousins, Matt Barnes, and JR Smith all rolled into one. And that is what makes him so risky.

I can see us going after him if we can't get Paul, Howard, Love, or Gasol.

3. robinjaswal23

robinjaswal23 Member

Go after Paul Howard if not sign Smith (not max) and a center like Al Jefferson or maybe Iggy as well add some wing defenders or cheap VET and then trade Smith later if he doesn't work out for Love or LMA.

4. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Member

Either way, the future for this team hasn't been this (how) "sweet" (it is) in a long time.

5. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Then we really need the Lakers to miss the playoffs and fail badly. That way Howard might want to leave the Lakers and go to a young winning team. But I still doubt he would want to come here though, but there can be a chance if the Lakers miss the playoffs.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Does Josh Smith make questionable decisions? Yes. But he doesn't approach Cousins for immaturity, Barnes for his douchy aggression, or JR Smith for his knuckleheadedness, let alone "all rolled into one".

I don't list CP3 because we won't get him.

Howard? Very slight chance. I think the lure of L.A., even if he has to endure Kobe for two more seasons (and for a fifth year at $30,000,000? s*******t) will be too much to pass on.

Gasol? Is he worth a (likely) one-year rental, which would cost us at least one Dmo and Trob, who will likely never approach his talent but also have many years left in the league?

Kevin Love, I think, is the ultimate target. I'd love Morey to snowjob---er, induce---Minnie to take Dmo + Trob (and cap space) for him (and hell, give them a future first). Love and Harden are practically BFFs. Practically.

But to get him, we'd likely have to sign Millsap or JSmoove and make a trade for Love in a year or two.

And that's the one thing I'd ask as a free agent visiting Houston: Look me in the eyes and tell me you want me to sign here because you ultimately want ME on this team. Granted, the ultimate decision is the guaranteed money anyway. But I'm sure Morey has earned his reputation as "YOU aren't the next best thing, but you're as close as I'm gonna get.....til I trade you."

7. basketballholic

Love is definitely one of Morey's ULTIMATE targets. But so is Paul. To wrote off the possibility of getting Paul before he signs that 5-yr deal in the Clip joint is being way too pessimistic.

Joah Smith has some of Cousins' attitude, some of Barnes volatility, and some of JR Smiths bad decision making all rolled into one. Maybe that's mild enough for you to swallow.

Josh Smith is a fallback option if one of our other options doesn't work out.

8. jocar

jocar Member

9. DBRox

DBRox Contributing Member

Guess he feels nothing wrong with being honest although home team fanatics don't forgive that stuff easy, sad since its his hometown.

10. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

I actually still hope they dont make the playoffs at all. It would make dwight leave even faster. But im sure as long as LA doesn't creep into the 6th seed, they will be eliminated in the first round.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Josh Smith and Andre Iguodala would be an amazing off season.

12. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Don't need either one, I just saw Josh Smith shoot 86 jumpers against the Heat and play like he doesn't care if the sun comes up tomorrow. Andrew Bynum is baby Yao Ming an injury waiting to happen.

Thanks but no thanks to either of them..

13. larry cook

larry cook Member

nooo to Bynum, those are some scary knees:eek:

14. CertifiedTroll

Get Howard, and trade J Lin for Mike Conley, then pick up third star

15. thedude077

thedude077 Member

This news is false. I ask this on the radio today and they said this is a fake rumor. Rockets are never interested in Andrew Bynum. They do have small interest on Josh Smith but they're not high on him.