1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Orlando-Cleveland Game 5. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN: Rockets spend two days trying to instill confidence

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JeffB, Nov 23, 2015.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

A lot of basketball is mental. We've been pressing. There's a lot of added pressure when things aren't going well.

I think the Rockets will get things right. All of the negative people are gonna be jumping up and down while pretending that they never freaked out.

2. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Get it all out, Clutchfans. Get it all out.

It's natural for you to be angry, to feel betrayed. It's natural for you to lash out even after reading positive signs of change and progress. It's natural for you to be irrational about everything the team is doing now, from coach to player, owner to gm, whether it's good or bad.

Just know in the back of your head that this is a good sign. It's a glimpse into some of the things this team is doing differently to turn things around. You may not like reading it because it isn't what you would do if you were in their place, but that's ok. There are more knowledgeable people than you responsible for figuring it all out.

So be irrational now. Be upset. But once we find a little success after taking steps in the right direction, from practice to in-game changes, try to relax. Try to enjoy the parts of this season that aren't all bad. One day we're going to break out of this mess. Then maybe you can start thinking rationally again.

Then again, this is Clutchfans...where you are smarter than everyone else, so why isn't anyone listening?

2 people like this.
  3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Y'all are really convinced JB has said "the hell with defense" based on this blurb? o_O

4. joeson332

joeson332 Member

[​IMG]

5. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

What the hell happened to this team??

6. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

this team is going to the lottery baby, enjoy the ride

7. RoxxxPhan

RoxxxPhan Member

[​IMG]

Mediate Sun!

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Slowly but surely, Rockets rebuilding their confidence

Taking - and making - shots in practice instills confidence in Rockets

#108 J.R., Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  9. thejav

thejav Member

If they just started to practice at game speed than this is one ****ty franchise.. you would think getting paid millions of dollars to put a ball in a circle would instill the confidence needed to atleast play hard..

10. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

They need to dust off that Old Rudy T Playbook! Inside out.. Dwight needs to be the first Option inside and he needs to dominate! then kick out to the open 3 point shooters, Harden and TY can either slash to the hole of dish to the open Man and of course Harden take the 3.. then get back and play hard nose Defense!

11. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Certainly sounds like practicing at game speed is new. Have these fools just been shooting around at practice, or...?

12. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

you would think its that easy but its not. they step on the court and suddenly become r****ded as f***!

so i should keep dreaming that'll never happen! rockets gonna chuck those threes like ww3 bout to start! have to get there 3pt totals up.
    isnt ariza close to breaking the record for 3pt bricks in a career?

13. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Does anyone here believe that if our shooting from 3 increases from 29% to 34%, it will cascade over and fix the rest of our offense? Serious question. I don't believe it. But maybe I'm wrong.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If anyone follows my posts for the past however many years, I think you'd generally the one calming everyone down, and being somewhat rational.

But if this piece doesn't make you roll your eyes, and chuckle a bit, I don't know what to tell you. We don't need pieces coming out to tell us "Now we are going to try hard"... just freaking show us. Wasting effort with puff pieces about how we are going to practice hard, and talking about getting confidence back are just insulting to the fans who are actually following the team and investing their time & effort into the team.

Your confidence, and your effort in practice just doesn't do anything to validate the blatant lack of effort on defense (or just straight up giving up on that end), the lazy turnovers, and the lack of being able to hit wide open shots, or at least take better quality shots when the three's aren't falling.

Its just insulting that we hear this from the team as if to tell us "Applaud us... we are NOW trying hard, and getting our confidence back"... just show us that you care on the court during game time.

1 person likes this.
  15. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

dobro is absolutely right. i mean wtf, there's no sensible reason for every single shooter to be so terrible at their job.
    terry had a good start shooting the three now he's contracted w/e the **** these guys have

look at the %'s, they dont lie. wtf is that? jones is the only guy shooting a good % from three! TERRENCE JONES! and im pretty sure thats a fluke, begginning of the season high

"instill confidence"? :mad: i dont have the words for how terrible this team is
    its like they became so bad they got stupid as hell and decided to put this crap out

this team is un-f**kin-believable right now. thats one word i can think of
    and dont get me started on dwight. 5 shots first half, 0 2nd half. do they even know who he is? :mad:

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Its a big cluster****. This is what happens when management belittles coaching. We ruined Harden, we spoiled him. We made him into the Indominus Rex and now its known and hes outta of his cage. Cant hold him accountable, responsible or tame him.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This has always been one of my biggest gripes. And it stems from an offense that hasn't evolved.

The Rockets took the league by storm last year primarily because of Harden's improved game. The cross over dribble paired with the step back jumper. All year he exploited teams with that. But it got exposed by the Warriors in the playoffs and now more teams are sagging back and crowding the lane.

There is no weakside action and everything is stagnant.

Further, the Rockets "fast break points" have dried up. Rockets NEED those points to succeed. I personally feel fast break points should be considered "value add" to the offense and not core. This over reliance on FBP just highlights the shortcomings in the half court offense.

18. NeonTiger

NeonTiger Member

Tank for Ben Simmons

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It will fix the offense to a certain point via better spacing. But for this team to take it to the next level in the playoffs the Rockets must continue to evolve their offense in the half court set. Harden ISO generating all the points will only get you so far.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I guess we could assume it would get us back to last year, but no real improvement from last year. And our defense is worse.

I suppose one way to look at it is just look at Harden and Lawson. If Harden can start shooting 40% from 3 and Lawson can get close to his 40% in his first two years in the league, then ask yourself what would that do to their game. I can't really ask myself that question without first thinking it's a chicken and egg proposition. Can they shoot 40% in the current offense, or would the offense first have to change to get them better looks?

My answer would be the latter.

10% of our FGAs are contested 3s. That is the highest in the League next to the Lakers. Although we get the most open 3s as a % of total FGAs, we scramble too much and are too predictable on offense such that the defenses got our number and are created many contested 3s. That has to change.