1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Rockets over/under 47.5 wins

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by scola4, Oct 22, 2010.

?

Will the Rockets win OVER/UNDER 47.5 games this year?

1. OVER 47.5

459 vote(s)
    93.9%
  2. UNDER 47.5

30 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think I said we'd finish with 47 wins and the 7th seed, so I am going to with under.

2. MingMingDynasty

Putting the Rox at over 47.5 is the easiest money you will ever make. Barring a major injury, we win 49 or 50 games. The West got easier once Amare bolted and it looks Melo is gone too. Also, Portland is injured and we're competitive against LA until Bynum comes back -- if ever. Anyone who bets less than 47.5 is probably an undercover Jazz fan.

1 person likes this.
  3. thekad

thekad Member

4. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I think people on here severely overrate the Rocks at every season's beginning. However, that said, I'd still take over, just barely.

50 seems a pretty reasonable number for this squad unless one out of Brooks, Martin, or Budinger makes a quantum leap past current expectations.

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I agree with this, even with an injury bug (not including Yao Ming). We still managed to get 42 wins and were in the playoff hunt for a good bit of the season, we were even near the top Western Conference, before the injuries happened in December-January.

Yet, you add a 2nd year Jordan Hill (I don't know why he is given up on so much); Brad Miller; Kevin Martin (for a full year) ; Courtney Lee (subtract Ariza); a 2nd year Chase Budinger; and returning Yao Ming (who seems to be doing fine at the moment and with reduced minutes to start the season).

Not winning 5 or more games, unfathomable, unless you add a devastating injury or catching another injury bug, which could happen to any team.

6. pge71188

pge71188 Member

I guess there banking on YAO getting injury somewhere along the season. Without Yao for a long period a time would have us around that number.

7. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

It should be noted that over/under numbers for the Rockets last season ranged from 30-37 wins. They bested that easily despite Trevor Ariza.

EVEN if Yao has another season ending injury, this team will likely still be strong enough to contend for the playoffs. I'm going to bet he stays healthy this time around, and the Rockets are at least in contention for home court advantage.

8. nebula955

nebula955 Member

over ... 55

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i would take the over, but not by much.

10. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Why do y'all worry so much about what those stupid ESPN analysts say??

Predictions mean NOTHING. Who gives a damn about what others think??

11. Felece

Felece Member

Thinking just 1 or 2 games over 50 wins. Wont have home court. Yao not being playing 30+ minutes a game and missing back to backs is going to hurt our chances to get homecourt.

12. platypus

platypus Member

This seems about right, two years ago, IMO out best season in current times, we won what... 53 games? 47 this year with a "Limited" Yao seems about fair. Besides as long as we get into the playoffs and have a strong home record W/L does not necessarily matter...

13. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

I'd worry about Lee who is a young guy trying to make his next contract and has both held a starting slot and has stated his interest in winning a starting spot on the Rox.

3 - Also, why do people assume that DM is going to trade Brooks? Just because DM has been playing the trade game recently to create this wonderful team doesn't mean the he's going to continue trading ... he'd be foolish if he did!
    [/QUOTE]

DM is a numbers guy and numbers guys know that the best value contracts are those set by pay scales that impose artificial ceilings on contracts rather than the ones that are set by the market. That's why he's all for rookie contracts and max contracts. Mid-level to just-under-max contracts are generally worse value (with the exception of contracts like R Lewis who is not a max player with a max contract). Brooks' contract this year is really valuable because he's on the rookie scale and is capable of putting up 19 and 5. Next year, his contract will be set by the market and Morey has shown he's a value investor. I suspect he'll look to parlay Brooks' contract into a max contract in a S&T if there's anyone available. Unless we get to the WCF, I can't imagine Les would re-up Brooks to the tune of 7-8 mil per year. If we do make the WCF, Morey may have to re-up unless he can swing some deal for someone like Paul or a good swing man like Iggy. Either way, Brooks won't be happy w/ Morey next summer.

14. On Top

On Top Member

47.5 wins is accurate for a prediction. It's always better to prove people wrong by going way above predictions anyways. Us as fans are always going to want the most possible wins because we actually know what this team is capable of.

15. clos4life

clos4life Member

I would put that over 47.5 if I was a betting man. I don't ever bet money but that's what I would do if I did.

16. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I seriously don't understand where this complete lack of respect comes from. Two years ago this team went toe-to-toe with the Lakers in 7 games. They were 1 game away from the 2nd seed in the West... and that was with a less experienced AB and a highly inconsistent Ron Artest.

I'm not saying this team is going to win the West. Hell, 3rd in the West is probably too high... but there are people on ESPN saying that this team won't even touch the playoffs, and I think that's completely bogus.

17. Marteen

Marteen Member

It's better if they underrate the Rockets. That way they aren't prepared against them much. Everybody will have their eyes on the Heat, while the Rockets sneak up on teams. ;)

18. J-Man

J-Man Member

We gotta hunt down those 24 people who chose under.....

19. TimBly15

TimBly15 Member

50 wins easy

20. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

47.5 wins is not "total lack of respect."

i'd call it conservative but not unreasonable give our injury history.