1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Rockets not trading Dwight, planning all-out Durant pursuit this summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Honestly i like our chances with Durant, i think that with Dwight we had a better shot on paper, but non by that much. At the end we may get KD, we may not...nobody knows (except perhaps Harden), but at this point why not try? We have nothing to lose, and if there's a team with a decent/good chance to sign him next summer, i think that team is Houston
    without counting the Warriors :p

We have a good organization, good players, young guys with talent, some nice assets to go all in in any moment, a good market, an mvp caliber player which is also probably his best friend around the league...

I think the main point in this situation is, does he just want to win easy? Because if that's what he thinks, he'll chose the Warriors, no contest. But if he does want a challenge (and i remember him talking about something like this when Lebron joined the Heat), and not just play as the second of Curry, i think we may have a really good chance.

Btw, hi everybody, long time Rockets fan here, finally on clutchfans, sorry for the poor grammar but english is not my language, have mercy :grin:

2. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

If Durant joined Houston, we would jump the Thunder on the standings

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Smoke screen

4. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I doubt he ends up here, but I've never gotten this impression.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

While I agree it's a long shot, I do think there's a chance. For one, this season has absolutely no bearing on what a player will do next season. The Heat were very mediocre before Bosh and LeBron got there. Also, a player like Durant might like being heavily involved in the coaching search, so not having a coach right now doesn't necessarily indicate a negative in free agency (as long as there is a list of candidates worthy of garnering Durant's attention).

6. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Durant-less OKC is better than the current Rockets? Okay, we're that bad then.

7. Play07

Play07 Member

Big thing I saw in the article, I wonder for who ?

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Sorry, but Durant ain't coming here. I'm sure that was Morey's plan all along, but he royally screwed himself thanks to the coaching disaster. The p-sspoor preseason and start to the regular season under McHale and the mediocre .500 ball under JB has left this team in limbo.

We have no idea who'll be coaching next year. No idea if Dwight will stick around. No idea what the situation at the 4 will look like with everyone but Harrell being a free agent. Contrast that with the situations in OKC, Golden State, and Washington. All far more stable than here. What incentive does Durant even have to sign here? Because he likes Harden? Big whoop. They'll hang out in the offseason and during All-Star weekend.

The only scenario in which I could see our chances improving is if the Rockets make a late season run and then win at least one round in the playoffs. Especially if they move up to the 6th seed and upset the Thunder. Of course then that would call into question how good Durant is.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Did you guys see Dwight and Durant smiling and chatting it up when we played OKC?

Yeah. I'm sure they hang out a lot, but it seems more like a "we're all in OKLAHOMA better stick together" kind of thing.

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Probably, but then again we all thought the Rockets would compete for a top 4 seed this season and look at them. Do you really trust Morey and Les to make the right decision regarding the head coach this offseason? Personally, I have my doubts.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think if Durant were to join the Rockets, there is no doubt he would pick the coach and I trust him to do that.

He's an intelligent dude who's well ahead of the curve on stats and has already experienced

Generally I'm opposed to Thibs, but if it means Durant I would be ecstatic about it. Having Harden and Durant would completely negate Thibs' weakness on offensive philosophy.

Would Durant come here if Thibs were his favorite coach? Howard, Harden, Durant, Thibs. Quite a team.

12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Durant has praised Kevin Ollie.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

They were 45-37 last year basically without him.

14. thekad

thekad Member

The Rockets have some strengths: Harden, allowing Durant to hand pick a coach (Scott Brooks).

But nothing can outweigh the fact that the team isn't good. And J.B. Bickerstaff isn't smart enough to figure out how to improve the team. Morey has some moves to make over the next couple weeks to make this a realistic possibility. It's just too bad he hamstrung himself with the Montrezl (and Brewer) contract.

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, wait, it's 1000% better!!! Hahah

I'm all for Durant coming, but with the **** play houston has displayed I don't know if anyone would want to come... Hopefully by the time FA rolls around houston does a 180, figures out the coach situation, and has a true identity (not the one where they're barely in the playoffs).

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Zero percent chance he comes here

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Ouch, now that really stings :) haha, what's even better is if the west was playing like it was last year Hou would miss the playoffs just like OKC did without Durant.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Durant should ball hog more and not Harden

19. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

The rockets are better than last years okc which did have Durant for almost 1/3 of the year.

There's still 31 games left so who knows what happens.

Who's to say the rockets don't go on a tear after the break end up with 48-50 wins? It could still happen.

Who's also to say that the rockets don't face okc and beat them first round and push SA to the limit in the 2nd round? That could happen also.

A lot can change between now and July 1st.

We would be a bad franchise if we didn't try and sign Durant.

We have harden possibly dwight and Max room. What franchise wouldn't try and form a big 3 under those circumstances?

20. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

It's weird how many of you are certain Durant won't come here.

Humility. Try it.