1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Rockets not trading Dwight, planning all-out Durant pursuit this summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Feb 3, 2016.

1. malakas

malakas Member

1. Harden was a rfa not a ufa. Let's see what he does when he is ufa..and he will have his choice.

2. Tell me how Dwight Ariza Lawson and Bev and a broken back DMO having played no games this year, is better than Ibaka, Adams, Kanter and that up and coming youngster Payne who is looking like at least a good starter (not to say a star that soon but yeah. Possibly a star).

Whatever. I hope it happesn. If you want to believe we have a chance believe it. I don't .

2. Nook

Nook Member

This is absurd...... add Durant to the core of the current Rockets and they are easily better than the core of the current Thunder. I have said I don't see any reason he would end up with Houston ..... But the Rockets current group + Durant and a new coach is far better. As for Howard, he is still one of the best centers in the NBA and that isn't likely to change over the next few years... He isn't as good as he was 5 years ago, but he is still very good.

3. malakas

malakas Member

so you believe that Howard in two years age 32 with how his game is based on athleticism so much (not entirely) will be one of the best centers. Like top 5?
    So better than Cousins, Drummond, Gobert, Towns , M.Gasol?

I think people here underrate or don't know how good Adams is, how effective Kanter is as a postup threat strictly off the bench dominating the other backups, and how promising Payne looks.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Okay

1. I'd bet he'd take the most money, which would be with Houston.....and it's not like Houston is a small market like OKC is so it's just not the same thing. Could he leave as a FA? Sure, but I don't think it's likely.

2. Really? That should be obvious. Dwight is a lot better than anyone not named Westbrook or Durant on the Thunder, Westbrook and Harden is a toss up, and no one else on the Thunder really matters.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

If Durant is ring chasing...there is really ONE choice...and that is Golden State.

If Durant wants to go back home...He has to consider that the players on that team are often injured and struggle to stay healthy. Wall and Durant mix might be very intriguing...

If Durant wants to come to Houston, it would have to be a very major reason. 1st, they would have to convince Dwight to take less so that the max will be available. 2, Durant has to see something for these Rockets during the course of the season showing that he can be that missing catalyst to push this team over the top. 3. if a major coaching hire convinced him that Houston would be a desirable place (ie. Tom Thibideau, Rick Adelman, JVG OR Mike Krzyzewski).

IMO, Durant stays put in OKC. He finds a way to succeed this year against a top level threat in the West and gives them ONE more season, ala Lebron James.

Lets just eliminate Los Angeles, and New York teams...He wont leave. There is one dark horse I'd like to mention...the Spurs...A trio of Durant, Kawhi, and Lemarcus could force Greg Popovich to remain put. This would allow Duncan, Ginobli, and Parker to retire from the game...Dont underestimate the Spurs front office, and their ability to draw talent. They are a winning organization, and surely are trying to create their next dynasty.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Lotta chirping between Thunder and Rockets right now. Kevin Durant repeatedly to Dwight Howard: &quot;You're a p***y&quot;</p>&mdash; Anthony Slater (@anthonyVslater) <a href="https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/534167021915631616">November 17, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. malakas

malakas Member

So you are willing to bet that Harden above any other possibillity will choose the most money over playing in teh bright lights of LA?
    I wish I had your confidence.

And I would take Ibaka over Dwight. I would take Adams over Ariza (expecting Ariza's shooting to normalise and taking into account his age). And I would definitely take Payne over Capela.

That's my opinion.
    I hope as I said Durant comes here. I wish I had your confidence. I dont' see it however.

I dont' know what I'm more scared of. Durant in GSW or Durant in the Spurs in their system under Pop and next to Kawhi and LMA.

Both sound horrible. And I would be pretty tempted to kiss the NBA goodbye for a while.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"All-out" ,,, that means releasing Lawson, right?

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hey Kevin, we really want you! But we also gotta release your good friend Ty Lawson.

[​IMG]

:p

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Honestly i like our chances with Durant, i think that with Dwight we had a better shot on paper, but non by that much. At the end we may get KD, we may not...nobody knows (except perhaps Harden), but at this point why not try? We have nothing to lose, and if there's a team with a decent/good chance to sign him next summer, i think that team is Houston
    without counting the Warriors :p

We have a good organization, good players, young guys with talent, some nice assets to go all in in any moment, a good market, an mvp caliber player which is also probably his best friend around the league...

I think the main point in this situation is, does he just want to win easy? Because if that's what he thinks, he'll chose the Warriors, no contest. But if he does want a challenge (and i remember him talking about something like this when Lebron joined the Heat), i think we may have a really good chance.

Btw, hi everybody, long time Rockets fan here, finally on clutchfans, sorry for the poor grammar but english is not my language, have mercy :grin:

11. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i highly doubt he comes here but obviously you have to try to get a top 3 player in free agency when your team sucks.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...3/dwight-howard-rockets-free-agency/79788700/

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It's stuff like this that worries me:

This is Dwight's full court shot from today and his previous one.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Just a bit outside. <a href="https://t.co/ujXGu8ihRg">pic.twitter.com/ujXGu8ihRg</a></p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/694946061589172224">February 3, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dwight Howard matches LeBron&amp;amp;full court shot <a href="https://t.co/RflgWVdIXG">https://t.co/RflgWVdIXG</a> <a href="https://t.co/LCL99STw2i">https://t.co/LCL99STw2i</a></p>&mdash; VineSleek (@vinesleek) <a href="https://twitter.com/vinesleek/status/686818734942621697">January 12, 2016</a></blockquote>

This is Lebron throwing up a similar shot.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">LeBron with a one handed full court shot �� <a href="https://t.co/jgEfd45GPn">https://t.co/jgEfd45GPn</a> <a href="https://t.co/ruv9YCsGT1">pic.twitter.com/ruv9YCsGT1</a></p>&mdash; Top Sports Vines (@VineSportsDaily) <a href="https://twitter.com/VineSportsDaily/status/694630149740957698">February 2, 2016</a></blockquote>
    I'm not sure what Dwight's reasons are for throwing the ball like that...but the proper motion is more like Lebron's or KJ's, although theirs isn't perfect either.

[​IMG]

My guess is Dwight lacks his ability to rotate his thoracic spine (first picture below) correctly, which also helps his arm/shoulder to go into external rotation (Brady below), which is all necessary for proper throwing mechanics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It make sense that this poor movement would pop up when throwing at longer distances, as his outlet passes aren't like this, but require less force. He should be able to throw the same as Lebron or KJ, as his height and size...

If I'm right about this, then this means he still has significant issue to work through and will be at a higher risk for injury, until they are resolved..

#93 RV6, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  14. Audioout

Audioout Member

From a story in Nov.

"They like to swing for the fence here," said Durant, before gliding onto the Toyota Center hardwood Monday for a standard 29 points, four made 3s, four boards and two blocks during a 110-105 defeat that gave the Rockets their first win of the season.

"They're trying to get a lot of guys here surrounding James," Durant said. "They got some guys, they missed out on a few guys, but they still have a really, really good team. And they built it around James. Their front office and ownership, I'm sure, had him in mind whenever they made moves. They (turned) into a contender."

When Durant's "swing for the fence" line was repeated back to him, the 27-year-old awkwardly smiled, put his head down and paused.

15. ibm

ibm Member

rockets in trading dwight talks;
    rockets are not trading dwight.

what are we supposed to believe? every season, my head spins this time around.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Never happen. Not even in the multiverse or a different timeline.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Step 1. Hire Thibs
    Step 2. Sign KD
    Step 3. Win 'chips

18. OTMax

OTMax Member

When will Morey and Leslie learn? We need a new owner...go after Horford, Bazemore and some other role players!!!

19. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

If Durant leaves OKC and GSW pursues him, the reason he might turn them down is that they are already champions and loaded and he might be seen as piggybacking off of their championship team (esp. if they win again this year). If they lose this year he could go to them and bring a title BACK to them, which might change his thinking. If he just wants a ring and who cares how, then GSW is his clear answer once they clear up cap space. They could be historically historically great if that happens, barring injury.

20. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Durant is closer to Harden than Westbrook