1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Rockets management pushed to play Clint Capela over Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TMAC3, Oct 24, 2016.

1. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Is this another DD hateful obsession spree where he will literally talk about the person he dislikes in every single thread ad nauseum?

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  2. Dalton Truelove

Thanks haha. Dwight was the man though.

3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Gee, Morey pushing his agenda through a puppet of a coach - shocking.... lol

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

People who say that Dwight was promised certain things when he came here and blame the team for backing out of those promises are conveniently forgetting all of his talk about knowing that they were bringing him here to play more P&R. Dwight should never have been under the illusion that he'd convince them to go through the post more. Despite that, he still had his opportunities in the post, and the team suffered because of it.

If Morey and Les decided they'd rather see Capela get his minutes, I'm fine with that. Especially with Dwight already having made it pretty clear he was going to opt out and had no intention of re-signing here. From that point on, his feelings were moot.

5. kjayp

Good post. This is what I've been sayin... Everybody here wants to act like Dwight just threw a tantrum outta nowhere and quit.... in reality, he got promised a certain role - and then got something else entirely... classic bait and switch...

I put this one on Morey - with it compounded by an idiot coach...

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

It's so freaking stupid to suggest that the Rockets broke their promises to Dwight or changed their scheme. When he was promised post touches, it was assumed that he would remain a physical force who could bully his way into deep post position. Did you guys watch the games last year? Dwight didn't hold up his end of the bargain, period. He was catching the ball 6-8 feet from the rim, where he's utterly useless as an offensive player! He stopped running hard down the middle lane to establish early underneath the basket! And in spite of all that, HE STILL LED THE NBA IN POST TOUCHES LAST YEAR.

The team didn't change. The scheme didn't change. Dwight changed. He got worse, and couldn't adapt. That's not on Morey, it's not on JB, and it's not on Harden. That's all on Dwight. And given that he was only able to remain highly efficient offensively by being a roll man and offensive rebounder, what choice did the team have but to try to give more minutes to the younger player who possessed the exact same skill-set?

Little Bit and topfive like this.
  7. BackdoorHarden

Not a Dwight fan at all...but this pretty much explains how last season turned out to be a disaster for the Rockets and Dwight.

Morey thinks players are just # and have no feelings, team chemistry is not needed according to Morey and Les

8. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's hard to tell an interim coach who to play without guaranteeing he will be there the following year. That's why we didn't get to see more of KJ and and the younger players down the stretch in a lost season. Lack of job security and the need for JB to squeeze out every possible win ended up hurting this team long term in both the development of young players and the loss of a lottery pick.

9. hakeemthagreat

As much as I fault Morey. I put blame on Dwight be being delusional. Dwight's whole thing is he wanted more touches in the post. But when he gets the ball 3 things happen:

A. That atrocious left handed hook that almost NEVER goes in. We all hoped he eventually got another go-to move, but I forgot he hasn't developed ANY other post moves throughout his career. Too many wasted possessions

B. Hack-a-Howard. We all know what this leads to, 2 bricks at the FT line.

C. Turnover. He either dribbles off his foot or gets the ball stripped.

If I were Morey, I'd of told Dwight the SAME thing outta frustration. Dwight walks in "Daryl I WANT THE BALL MORE". Morey "Um, no. We don't want you anywhere near the ball".

10. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Dwight pulled a bait and switch first. He said he was ready to put his head down, and do what worked.

He then did what he did with the last 2 teams, and flipped, saying he definitely needs the most post up oppurtunities IN THE LEAGUE.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I actually like Morey, a lot, but I do believe that the way he manages is not normal and can rub coaches the wrong way - and players too it seems.

DD

heypartner likes this.
  12. kjayp

Here are the top 3 for post touches:
    D12 8.4 post touches / .909 pts per post touch
    Drummond 8.0 post touches / .888 pts per post touch
    Gasol 7.7 post touches / .683 pts per post touch

Top 3 for paint touches:
    Gortat 7.5 paint touches / 1.007 pts per paint touch
    D12 6.8 paint touches / 1.042 pts per paint touch
    Drummond 6.7 paint touches / .956 pts per paint touch

If you promised him a certain role (the only way he woulda signed...) then you uphold your end of the arrangement... you dance with the one that brung ya... having a coach that knew his a@@ from a hole in the ground probably coulda helped the efficiency as well... Taking 15 seconds to get the ball upcourt doesnt help the low post game as well - gives the defense time to set...

nobody was limiting Hardens role when he was shooting 28.5% from the arc through the first 20 games....

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm with ya. Boring story.

But Dwight being a public crybaby and on-court pouter probably contributed to a drop in his trade value. It certainly undermined Harden's leadership qualities possibly turning off Bazemore and Horford, and maybe even was planned sabotage of Morey's attempts to trade him.

Just tossing that out there because I despise public whining by players

14. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Yeah, he so obviously mailed it in last year because he didn't get his way. That's why I'm not so fond of him.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol people talking about "gentleman agreement (broken)" and they don't know ****.

I wonder if the Magic and the Lakers broke a gentleman agreement too...smh...

KlutchQT likes this.
  16. csc177

csc177 Member

I used to be a Tracy Mcgrady fan....this dude always finds a way to involve himself in Rockets drama. Go away!

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  17. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

tmac is on espn now? i must have missed that the first time 'round

18. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Well the best player the Rockets have had since Hakeem Olajuwon seems pretty happy, so it's hard to argue that he is doing a bad job handling relationships.

I mean, have you seen what the Mavericks did to their championship lineup?

19. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Tmac on ESPN now saying this is "All Harden". In truth, this is ALLLLL ESPN. The timing of the story. The fishy smell of the story. (Like a 36 year old interim coach telling management to pound sand. Yeah that's the JBB we all know.)

This is ESPN doing what they love to do with us. ESPN J Adande said it was all Harden and Rockets fault for Ty Lawson sucking last season. The guy who blew chunks on the Pacers, missed team planes for the Kings, and now is newsworthy again because he barely made the King's 15 man roster. But no its all ball hog Harden and Rockets fault on Lawson just like how Howard is a big victim too. Get that mess outta here. It's nonstop nonsense from them when they cover the Rockets.

#99 cdrive, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    topfive, Deuce and DreamShook like this.
  20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I said front office made promises, but its still Dwight at FAULT overall for his OWN immature handling. Rockets were part offender, Dwight still the worst one.

I dont think Rockets did outright underhanded bait-&-switch. Rockets did try to appease Dwight, they only altered things when results werent there. Rockets maybe compromised MORE FOR Dwight than He did for them even.

Dwight just handled it all like a stubborn baby. He saw strategic changes as INSULTS. And worse he went PUBLIC with his grievances. THATS where he loses credibility. At least the Rockets kept things in-house with a professional face

And after Dwight said all the right things about being about WINNING and SACRIFICING himself for good of the TEAM ... his actions and ego still showed otherwise. (Side note: Makes you appreciate the Tim Duncan humble whatever-they-need MULTIPLE systems approach)

In SUPER short, I'm just saying the Rockets DID have SOME effect on the situation. And itd be false to say they had NO HAND in it. Maybe 15-20% blame

ricardo1979 and topfive like this.