1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Rockets are doing anything & everything to move Brooks or Delfino

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 24, 2013.

1. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Salary cap rules. You can't just go over the cap willy nilly. Can only go over it under certain exceptions, and offering money to a free agent (that you don't have bird rights to) isn't one of them. :(

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Garcia is not mentioned because no team will take this $6mil contract. He's worth much less than that on the FA market.

OTOH, it is possible that Brooks and/or Delfino would be able to get a better offer than 1yr, $2.5/3mil respectively. Let's suppose a team wants Brooks, but feel like they'd have to pay him 2yr/$608mil on the market, and do not wish to do that. In this case, they may prefer to give the Rockets a 2nd round pick, let the Rockets pick up his option, and get Brooks for $2.5mil.

Personally, I think no team will take Delfino given his injury issues. But surely at least one team would give up a mid-2nd rounder(~40s range) for Brooks at bargain price of $2.5mil.

3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Delfino and Brooks aren't entirely worthless or expensive. A team with excess picks could give one up to bolster their bench with a contributor. Cleveland has two 2nd round picks in this year's draft and already has several young players. Portland has three 2nd round picks and no bench. I don't think Carlos or Aaron would be so excited to go to a team like Cleveland if they had the choice.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Perhaps their FA value, or at least perceived FA value by particular GM(s), is higher than $2.5-3mil for 1yr. If that's the case, there's value in getting one at this particular price.

5. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

Right, exactly my point about Brooks and Delfino and what we can get for them compared to what we'd lose (nothing).

I forgot to mention Garcia's contract, but yeah. I do still think we'll try to sign him for much less to fill out our bench later on, depending on the market or what kind of cut he'll take (we wont overpay for him).

Delfino might still be able to be sold as a spot up shooter, foot injury or not. We'll see. Either way with these potential deals, we're going to come out either positive or neutral.

6. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Lol Brooks actually had better play-off games than Lin, but I'm pretty sure Rockets are just doing this for cap space reasons, and Brooks is known around teh league for having a big ego problem.

7. jocar

jocar Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. nono

nono Member

I first read this as "Rockets Doing Every thing they can to offload Beverly". Almost had a heart attack.

9. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

If the Rockets were doing EVERYTHING they could to offload Brooks and Delfino they would be willing to take back salary and include draft picks. This is not the case, thus the title is misleading.

10. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Man, that Dwight is one greedy b*stard. Needs every penny while role players will have to be underpaid to play with him. Just take $20M or $19.25M or whatever the h*ll, gee whiz.....

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

This is supposed to be a deep draft for role players. Various draft pundits are saying the second round will be offer the same quality of players as the lower end of the first round.

If the Rockets sign Dwight using cap room. They'll be depending on minimum contracts to fill out the roster which is what second rounders usually get.

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm going to make a prediction here: we'll definitely make a deal with Chicago on draft night. They have a TPE which is worth exactly how much salary we need to shed. They need to add depth at backup PG. They will need a backup PF if they've decided to amnesty Boozer (and we have 3 of em). They need cheap solutions to add depth.

13. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

You've to pay to play.

14. conquistador#11

brooks also had a better playoff run than derrick rose this year lol =/

maury is just addicted to getting draft picks. he feels he will be bored for the night if just has that second rounder to play with.

15. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Excellent, postbadlee just confirmed Dwight to Houston.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Thanks for this as it confirms completely that he is indeed not going to the Clippers.

17. Pragmatician

Pragmatician Member

I'd trade either one for a late 2nd Round pick, then take Mark Lyons.

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I wonder if he called Phoenix and asked for Dragic and a future first rounder.

1 person likes this.
  19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Actually, Chicago's TE is the 2nd largest. Memphis has a $7.4M trade exception from the Rudy Gay trade (expires 1/30/14).

20. tr3yzle

tr3yzle Member

He's not going to the Clippers. At this point it's the Lakers or the Rockets and if you have to even look at other cities while playing in LA, it's pretty obvious, he's leaving.