1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Rockets Among Teams Interested In Nash

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nodstonothing, May 18, 2009.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

You've got to play the odds if we're talking about a deal involving Brooks. Do you trade your up-and-comer for a player that at age 36 cannot afford to lose a step in order for you to justify making the deal? Because that's what the thought process behind this sounds like. Or you could just stand pat and/or look for a better deal.

Speaking of a better deal....

If anybody wants to discuss a pipedream deal with Phoenix, wake me up when Amare's name gets brought up. I don't care about the whole "He cant play with Shaq clogging the paint so what makes you think he can coexist with Yao?" angle. The fact of the matter is we don't have enough offense, size and athleticism inside. If Yao is going to continue to get hurt every year this is just going to be a problem that we ignore and we ignore and we ignore until somebody FINALLY beats it through our brains that we need another big body inside that can put the ball in the basket.

This is obviously an extreme solution to that problem. All the same, I still like the idea much better than mortgaging part of our future for a guy with a 1-2 year window.

2. bsugfg

bsugfg Member

Hell No!!! Believe it or not, Brooks' defense is 100 times better than Nash!!!!

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The Suns were a great offensive team. They were bad on defense, but that's not all on Nash. I mean, it's not like Aaron Brooks is a good defensive player, and he could still be apart of a very good team defense with the rest of the guys on our team.

4. choujie

choujie Member

You are overlooking Yao's defensive ability. He is the guy who prevents opponents going to the hole, shooting FTs etc. Yao has been playing better defensively each and every year, if you haven't notice that.

Yao's only short coming is defending perementer guys, but his defensive impact is much larger than you would have imageind. You'd rather have opponent shooting jumpers than getting layups all day.

This year with Yao: Opponents efg% is 46.8%, without Yao: efg% is 49.9%
    With Yao: Opponents FT attemps for 48 minutes: 18. Withtout Yao: 25.

7 freaking fewer FTs plus better FG% defending for every 48 minutes of play, That's a huge difference.

No matter how you dislike Nash's defense, offensive difference between Nash and Brooks is much more than defensive difference between them.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Bolding your posts is not an adequate substitute for intelligent content.

6. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

If you think Yao has been a great defender more than one year than idk what games you've been watching. Mutombo is old. real old and probably slower than Yao but he plays better defense than him. Knows how to move his feet. Somehow someway the times Deke checked in the Rockets defense was better some how.

My question is if Yao had more than one good defensive years and by that means he is a good defender then why is a good defender being pulled for another defender?? Chuck Hayes 6'6 ( great defender ) checks in for Yao Ming 7'6.

Yao use to and always got burned on the defensive end. This year he has improved even though he still got burnt but not as much.

7. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

Well said, as I said in my last post. I would take this deal, because this deal is the now or never deal. Aaron Brooks' value is probably at it's highest right now. He could be Troy Hudson Part 2 or he could be a poor man's Allen Iverson... Who knows?

The only thing I can tell you right now is Aaron Brooks needs to develop a brain and he better develop it fast if Houston wants a title. I would take our bets with Steve Nash. He would make Yao's life so much easier scoring the basketball and beating the fronts.

Nash's offensive game is exactly like Brooks, except he's about 10x better at passing and he has 10x the brain Brooks has. Brooks' skills are there, but his IQ isn't there and most of the time when you don't have a brain when you come to the NBA. You aren't getting one.

8. nodstonothing

nodstonothing Member

Um, no.

9. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Nash would be great if we had a team made up of athletes like Amare, Marion, Shaq, Tyrus Thomas. Who is he going to alley oop it to, Brent Barry? They tried that half court offense with Terry Porter and that didn't work real well, ask Porter.

Great shooter and ball handler but not a great fit for a half court defensive oriented squad like the Rox.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If the Suns actually would agree to Nash+Barbosa for Brooks+T-Mac, think about it. Even if Nash flames out, we still arguably get the best player in the trade in Barbosa. Barbosa is perfect for an Adelman offense. He can play either guard position, he's a very good cutter, and he's great transition. He's no less speedy than Aaron.

11. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

what was the rumor or offer the rockets made to the suns this offseason?

13. choujie

choujie Member

Not just one year. At the beginning of the season, Duvasa had a graphic, showing Yao actually had bigger impact on defensive end than on offensive end for Rockets over the years. And he is one of the rare players who has positive impact on both end of the floor.

14. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

This is no knock to all the YOF but ever since Yao has been drafted how many games has he played for the Rockets?? He has been injury prone just like McGrady and with Yao being out the Rockets were blessed to have Deke start and provide defense.. Last but not least if im not mistaken I've never heard of the rockets being a defensive team when Rudy T was here. It all started once JVG was the coach. IDK i maybe wrong on that one.

15. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

It would be pretty hilarious to get Shaq as Yao's back-up. While that would be an abominable movie salary-wise, I still think it would be absolutely hilarious.

16. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Seeing as his contract is short and we could at least be sure he'd play, I'd be willing to trade for Nash, even if it involved Brooks. The only real knocks on Nash are his age (which we've been hoping would slow him down since he played in Dallas) and his defense. His D will never be good, but who exactly has Aaron Brooks shut down? Aaron Brooks could play for 20 years and never be as good as Steve Nash. If you don't think Nash could do a better job against teams that front Yao than Aaron, I'm going to have to disagree.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's what I'm thinking about. Our role-players showed in this post-season that they are pretty good. But, when they have McGrady and Yao on the floor, I think some of their talent lays idle as they defer to the star. I've been thinking where we really need our star power is in the point guard position -- someone that can maximize the contributions of guys like Scola, Landry, Battier, etc. The ideal guys for that would be Nash and Chris Paul. But, they're long shots, of course.

18. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

My eyes hurt. How do you quantify that? Or you are just saying?

One thing is for sure, Nash shoots much better than AB, and I guess we don't need to talk about passing. AB is much younger for sure though.

19. Shaud

Shaud Member

I said Yao has been a good defender before this year not a great defender.

If Yao was a horrible defender then we would not have been a good defensive team the past few years with Yao as our Center.

20. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

your right its not all on nash but some blame should be on him. he is the "leader" of the team and guys follow the leader. If he isn't playing defense then some not all guys are going to feed off that.