1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Rockets Among Teams Interested In Nash

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nodstonothing, May 18, 2009.

1. Seth

Seth Member

If we trade Tmac for nash we will have to absorve at least 8 millions in bad contracts.

I say the Suns would want us to absorve Dragic, Dudley, Admunson and Tucker contracts.

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

Yeah and it doesn't matter what you want. If the Suns give up Nash you best believe they will want Brooks in return with McGrady.

Some of you act like you can just do a trade because you like it. You do know it takes two to tango right?

3. choujie

choujie Member

I don't see how 10asts per game, 50% shooting, 44% 3 point shooting, 90% FT shooting is that much a struggle. It's exaggerated.

4. nodstonothing

nodstonothing Member

How do you figure? Nash averaged 16 ppg, 10 assists, and shot 50% from the field while Shaq had his best season in years. How is that struggling? Had Amare not gotten injured, Phoenix would have made the playoffs.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

With Nash running the show, no more "chickens running around with their heads chopped off" plays when Yao is fronted.

6. worzel gummidge

The Suns won't want McGrady's contract. They'd likely want smaller contracts that are easier to trade so they can maneuver under LT.

7. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I wouldn't mind trading for him but I'm content with Lowry and Brooks. Don't forget these two are still in the early stages in their career and they will definitely improve during the off season.

I'm not sure if I want an aging Steve Nash that plays no defense especially if it means parting with Brooks.

8. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

:eek: :eek: Are you serious!!!!???? Just because Yao had one good year on the defensive side he is one of our core defensive guys. OOhhh man what a joke. Battier and Artest have been doing it for years and Yao basically did it one year and he is a defensive guy. hahaha.

Brooks is not an elite defender ill agree with you but he plays some defense. Nash plays 0 defense just like Mike Bibby. Another guy people want. There both old and pass their prime. The NBA is a young mans game today. Speed kills in todays game.

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

We don't have to give up Brooks but to get this deal done we will most likely have to give up Brooks.

10. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

It's truly not that bad of a true on both ends. I'm not sure if Barbosa will be involved though or we might need to send more players.

I would much rather have a declining Steve Nash who's still a Top 5 PG in the NBA over Aaron Brooks.

All said and done, Nash is almost exactly like Brooks with a much much much much higher IQ. Neither of them play defense, both are great at attacking and shooting.

I would love to have Nash.

11. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

i don't think nash's worth is under question. he is tremendous and most definitely improve this team. the problem is that i don't feel we are anywhere close enough to a championship to consider exhausting all of our trade resources in acquiring him. this is only compounded by the uncertainty of yao's health.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

My concern is that by the time Aaron emerges as a strong starting PG, the window on this team will be closed.

13. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

And i rather Nash take the bulk of the shots than Tmac inconsistency hurting the team.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

This was not Yao's first year being a good defender. You don't just become a good defender when you have been in the league for more than 6 years.

I don't get where you got the notion that this was Yao's first year playing good defense.

15. justtxyank

This is a fair concern, though I disagree with it. However, if the FO feels as you feel, then I absolutely agree. They should make moves for young pieces instead. However, if you are right and we aren't "anywhere close enough to a championship" to consider this type of move, the team is in major trouble. If they aren't anywhere close, Yao will never be a part of a championship team, nor will Scola or Battier. If they aren't anywhere close, they should blow it up.

16. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

How long have you been watching the Houston Rockets? Not long I suggest?

You know, there's a reason why the Rockets have been Top 10 defensively ever since Yao has been drafted and there's nothing weird about that. Any 7'6 player will make your team's defense better. It's that simple. Being 7'6 alone makes you an above average defender.

17. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

your looking at stats im looking at the game. You can still have decent numbers and still struggle.

18. justtxyank

You watched the games and thought Nash was struggling?

I'm sorry, but you're crazy. The problems in PHX had nothing to do with Shaq and had nothing to do with Nash.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

T-mac finally would get to play with a quality player for once in his career
    someone like Shaq

Rocket River

20. nodstonothing

nodstonothing Member

Exactly. This applies to Nash to an extent too. Most players in the NBA aren't good one on one defenders and Nash is no exception. BUT, when put in good defensive schemes on teams that emphasize defense, they can be made to be part of good defensive teams. A perfect example is Tracy McGrady who had a rep of never playing defense in Orlando but under JVG was a starter on one of the best defensive teams in the league. Phoenix has never emphasized defense which is why Nash doesn't play defense. On a team that plays proper team defense, he'd adjust and do his part. At the least, he'd be no worse than Brooks or Lowry under the Rockets defensive scheme.