1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN removes Robert Lee from University of Virginia football coverage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Utterly ridiculous!

ESPN going down faster than a 2-cent hooker.

2. Roscoe Arbuckle

If people are offended, it is simply looking at ESPN for being this stupid with political correctness. It just keeps getting more and more ludicrous.

Oddly enough, he was replaced by Colonel Angus.

3. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I'm personally just going to avoid Trump posts. Much more interesting topics to talk about.

4. mingthething

mingthething Member

5. conquistador#11

I thought it was an article from THe Onion.

Espn smh.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If his name was Robert E. Lee, then I could understand the PC logic.
    As far as I can remember, the generals name has always been referred to as Robert E Lee, not Robert Lee. Considering he was an asian, hardly anyone would have noticed, especially since the "E" was not in his name. Now every time his name appears, everyone will associate him with Robert E. Lee. If I was Mr. Lee, I would be extremely upset.

Sometimes its best to let things ride and let the morons be morons. ESPN went from being PC to full on witch hunt mode.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's the Internet. People would have noticed even without the E, and memes/jokes were very likely, if not inevitsble. The game was in Charlottesville, and everyone has this statue issue on the brain.

ESPN's miscalculation is they underestimated the likelihood of a leak and what the response to that would be. Political correctness really has nothing to do with it, IMO.

8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The problem with White Establishment is they literally think they own the rights to everything. Names, inventions, etc. They don't. Lee / Li is also a Chinese or Korean surname. Why are some people so idiotic? Stop trying to control own the whole world morons.

9. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

The height of PC stupidity.

I'm not even sure of why they did it...because of his name (still stupid), or because he was an Asian with that name (even more stupid).

At what point do we, as a society, simply say 'there may be some out there who might be offended by this, but quite frankly, they just need to get over themselves. There is NOTHING offensive about an ASIAN who happens to be named Robert Lee. Nothing." Honestly, I can't really see what would be offensive about ANYONE named Robert Lee. Isn't he pretty widely regarded as a man of great conscience and honor?

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He's widely regarded as a traitor and a menace towards the blacks.

Newlin and Invisible Fan like this.
  11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

And the winner for most absurdly out of left field necro bump goes to...

pgabriel and fchowd0311 like this.