1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN ranks Coaches: McHale #13

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by split41, Apr 4, 2014.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'd like a little diversity in the offense. It seems like the team is way too reliant on 3-pointers and I have no idea why given that they frankly don't have many quality outside shooters on the roster. Why not add more pick-and-rolls and midrange shots? Why don't we see more cutting to the basket? Look at how well the Spurs do that. And the turnovers are still an issue despite these guys playing almost an entire season together(and many of them already spent a year as teammates last season).

The Rockets are a terrific running team and when they are knocking down the 3-pointer, they're virtually unbeatable. But when the game slows down in the playoffs and opponents inevitably take them out of their comfort zone, things could get ugly really fast if they don't have some other plays they can go to.

And I stand by what I said about the defense. It's inconsistent which tells me the players aren't committed to trying hard at both ends of the floor(aside from Bev of course). Don't tell me for one second that if Jeff Van Gundy(or even George Karl) was the coach that they wouldn't be holding opponents to a far lower average point total per game. I'm not advocating hiring either of those guys, but I do think the defensive deficiencies can at least in part be attributed to McHale and his staff.

2. ksny15

ksny15 Member

How do you figure he's ranked to high? Who's better

3. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

carlisle should be #3

not overrated doc rivers

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah that sounds right. An average or so coach.

5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

This is exactly summarizes the thread. I agree

6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I'd take Mark Jackson over Mchale.

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He'd do wonders with this roster...

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

People may be okay with McHale's ranking because they consider him an average coach, but you should really look at some of the names above him...

Terry Stotts???
    (barely) One season of Hornacek?
    DWAYNE CASEY?!?!

9. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

You Lin fans would take anyone over McHale until it's obvious that the coach is not to blame. This coach scapegoating will continue until Lin's career is over.

1 person likes this.
  10. noone

noone Rookie

I'm looking for guidance.

Terry Stotts- Thomas Robinson hasn't improved since under Mchale
    Hornacek - guys haven't developed under him
    Dwayne Casey I don't know enough about it.

I get the criticism the McHale can seem manic at interviews and sometimes he speaks basketball and not english to fans but that's everyone.

My guess is there has been some setbacks because of maturity issues on the team and McHale is trying his best to keep it together but it's taking a toll.

11. noone

noone Rookie

I'm looking for guidance.

Terry Stotts- Thomas Robinson hasn't improved since under Mchale
    Hornacek - guys haven't developed under him
    Dwayne Casey I don't know enough about him

I get the criticism the McHale can seem manic at interviews and sometimes he speaks basketball and not english to fans but that's everyone.

My guess is there has been some setbacks because of maturity issues on the team and McHale is trying his best to keep it together but it's taking a toll.

12. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Absolutely agree- I still remember what he did with that Pistons team pre-Larry Brown and then Indiana. Guy could've easily won a 'ship with that Indiana team had it not been for the Malice at the Palace. I rank Carlisle right under Pop, as a matter of fact.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'd probably put monty williams ahead of him, but otherwise the list looks more or less reasonable.

noticing that each of the current contenders in the league all just happen to have top-10 rated coaches, it begs the question of why the rockets should have to settle for a middle of the pack coach?

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

But this is the way the organization as a whole has shaped their basketball philosophy to adopt on all levels. If it was up to Finch, Morey, and the other true believers in the org, the Rockets would be probably even less diverse and more reliant on 3's than they currently are if you can believe it or not.

The San Antonio comparison is interesting because I believe you are actually on the right track here, but most of that diversity IMO is going to come with adding or improving players that can score in different ways EFFICIENTLY.

Case in point the Atlanta Hawks.

The Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer was the assistant to Pop for 18 years, and years, and is someone that absolutely believes in the Spurs way, and will die with the Spurs playbook in his hand most likely.

However the Hawks are the 2nd leading 3 point shooting team just shy of the Rockets in 3 point shots taken. Why is that... IMO its personnel.

Back two years ago, the Rockets with McHale & Co. had a very efficient mid range shooter in Luis Scola. Before Patrick Patterson was an efficient 3 point shooter, they put him in a ton of the same sets to get him open long 2's. Than he improved his 3 ball, and they moved him back.

So I think if they don't have efficient mid range players (like the Rockets really dont have) they will prefer the 3 ball to give more spacing as it looks like Mike Budenholzer thinks the same way without Al Horford (who would significantly alter their shot chart because he is one of those rare efficient mid-range shooters).

Tony Parker and Tim Duncan are efficient mid-range shooters, but horrible 3 point shooters. Therefore Pop puts them in more mid-range pick and roll, but with everyone else surrounding them there are the same concepts of spacing on the court that the Rockets have with their other shooters, and they run many of the same P&R sets... its just that the Spurs, like you mention can run it with more diversity, but that has more to do with the players than the actual system.

So I come back full circle to my original question. Is it McHale or the system? The Rockets dont have efficient mid-range shooters, so why would we run sets for mid-range shots in the same system when they could back up a few feet, and get 3 points instead of two, and give more spacing?

IMO, more diversity in the offense has to come from.... more talent to use in the offense. I dont think there is anything McHale can do to make Dwight Howard, Asik, Jones, or D-Mo deadly mid-range shooters right now.

I agree completely. Howard & Beverley have been a crutch for bad defensive players all season long, and now that they are out, its excruciatingly painful to watch on that end.

However, the Rockets shouldn't have to rely on one player to make up for other players. They need complete buy in on a nightly basis.

Is that the coaches fault, or the players fault, or the system that leads to bad defense some nights? Probably all 3 honestly in some combination.

However the bright side is, like I just mentioned, despite poor performances, the Rockets defensive system in the Half Court, and quality players (Howard & Bev) make the Rockets a top 10 defense in a grueling NBA season, and the stats back that up. It doesn't look pretty at times, but there is no question that in the end, they are getting the job done on defense despite those ugly performances.

15. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

We aren't reliant on 3 pointers. We just take them instead of 19 footers. Taking 5 three pointers and converting them to long 2s isn't going to help us score more point. If you are talking about closer midrange shots, those would more likely come at the expense of shots in the paint and free throws, not 3s.

1 person likes this.
  16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I absolutely will take Hornacek over McHale and probably other 90% of the coaches in this league.

The Suns performance this year is amazing, they are definitely a team that's overachieved.

They are the best fast break team in the league this year. Hornacek played with what he got to the max. Playoff or not, he should be the coach of the year.

I have no problem with Stotts and Casey ranking higher than McHale, its about performance vs expectation. Both the Blazers and the Raptors were not expected to be this good before the season started, but the Rockets were expected to be good.

17. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

A little HOF bias there. McHale should be ranked from 20-25, anyways definitely not a championship caliber coach.

18. yummyhawtsauce

Dwayne Case is debatable. I think the reason why Toronto is playing well is a combination of having the right team chemistry (getting rid of gay), good GM and talent.

But overall I would say he is better than McHale though. Toronto share the ball well and they have no superstar, but have a decent record.

19. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Homerish, low-intelligence statement, for sure. Congrats.

20. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

Stopped reading when I didn't see a number #30 next to Scotty Brooks' name.