1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Rangers grab Millwood, Purpura/McLane sit on sidelines

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by El_Conquistador, Dec 26, 2005.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The Purpura/McLane combo miss out on yet another player that could have filled a need for the Astros. Seems like the money freed up from Clemens could have fit nicely here. Then there is the extra $15mm/year in tv revenue, the higher ticket prices, the increased merchandise revenue, and the post-season income that is still sitting nicely in Drayton's coffers. Guess we don't want to use any of that! Are we planning on doing *anything* this offseason?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2271734
    Kevin Millwood and the Texas Rangers have reached a preliminary agreement on a four-year contract worth nearly $48 million, according to a person familiar with the negotiations, ESPN's Peter Gammons reported Monday night.

Gammons reported that the deal includes a Rangers team option for a fifth year. If the contract goes five years, it would then be worth $60 million. Texas can void the fifth year of the deal if Millwood doesn't pitch a certain number of innings in earlier years of the contract.

Millwood is expected to undergo a physical Tuesday, and the deal likely will be finalized Wednesday.

Details of the deal were disclosed by two people familiar with negotiations who spoke on condition of anonymity because the contract had not been finalized. Millwood's decision to accept Texas' offer was first reported by the Fort Worth Star-Telegram on its Web site.

Millwood had a 2.86 ERA to lead the American League last season, his only season for Cleveland. The right-hander, who turned 31 Saturday, rejected a salary arbitration offer from the Indians.

Millwood, who also was sought by Boston, will be the No. 1 starter in a revamped Texas rotation, already bolstered by two trades this month. The Rangers got former All-Star right-hander Vicente Padilla from Philadelphia and acquired Adam Eaton from San Diego.

In nine major league seasons, Millwood is 107-75 with a 3.76 ERA. He won at least 17 games in three of his six seasons with Atlanta (1997-2002) and was an All-Star in 1999. He pitched two seasons for Philadelphia before going to Cleveland last year.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

We should just merge all of the free agent misses by the Astros into one thread. They seem to pile up daily.

However, I wouldn't talk to any free agent who is a Scott Boras client after last season.

3. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

5 years, 60 million. That's insane. Way too much money for a Millwood. Why can't the Rangers see they always get screwed with Boras? They have no idea how to negotiate with him.

4. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Team option on the 5th year, though.

5. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Pass on Millwood and Boras. Let the Rangers get suckered again.

6. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Misleading title. ESPN isn't calling McLane or Purpura out.

7. Rule0001

yea I saw that, but still Millwood does not deserve anything near that. Neither did Burnett. I gurantee Millwood will have a bad year next year. Playing in Arlington is the closest thing to Coors Field, I'm sure a groundball pitcher will succeed thier. :rolleyes: Also did I mention Millwood threw a ball that screamed "hit me outta here!" on every pitch and every batter just happened to miss which is the reason for his era last year.

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For the love of Chan Ho Park, 4/48 for Milwood is still nuts. With our offensive woes, we have no business scanning the free agent market for a $12 million, 31 year old 3rd starter.

The guy is a model of inconsistency, and is a career high 3s ERA guy. On top of that, he's probably going to cost the Rangers a first rounder in arbitration.

I'd be more upset about missing out on picking up Vicente Padilla for a 27 year old AAA prospect.

But it'd be unlike you to miss an opportunity to gripe.

9. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Where has all the money gone? Not to offer arbitration to Roger... or acquire free agents... or to make trades....

We are standing still while other teams improve. We have no reason stand still, either, given the dramatic increases in revenue we've experienced. At *some point* we're going to have to spend money to compete.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

$12 million a year for Millwood? Pass.

The Rangers suck and this is why. I'll take my chances with Oswalt, Pettitte, Backe, and a shot at getting Roger back.

11. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

...And if that point isn't Kevin Milwood at $12 mill/per, this is just griping.

The Rangers pay him as an ace because they don't have one. We have two, and that's not counting Clemens.

I'm watching Miguel Tejada at $12 mill. And I'd give up Lidge+Everett to get him+pitcher. If money is truly the obstacle in acquiring Tejada, that's a shame, but none of us have access to those negotiations.

12. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

You act like Kevin Milwood is the only example. That's funny. We have 2 seasons worth of examples for you.

13. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Milwood sucks. The Astros will be better than all these teams making off-season moves.

After getting a C in my chemistry class in college, my Chinese professor, made a profound remark that changed my life, "Son, don't mess with chemistry."

15. Rule0001

i needed that talk from my professor. I suck at chemistry.
    Daryle Ward is my pick for the astros offense, but damn, they really need that Tejada trade imo. They have so few areas they can improve offensively. I really can't believe they turned down white. WTF are they looking at? Houston is at least competent, unlike Boston who somehow adds payroll by creating more holes in every important position possible.

16. superden

superden Contributing Member

so can we cross texas out for clemens signing with them? i mean can they really afford clemens after giving millwood that contract?

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Tom Hicks is soooo Boras' b****, its not even funny.

Actually, Hicks has personally contributed to over half of Scott's own net worth.... its like he's his father, and Scott's just bleeding him for more allowance every year.

Okay... back to the incessant TJ griping...

18. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Uhh, there's still tons of solid free agents out there -- guys taken by the Cards, Cubs, and Rangers over the past couple of weeks are not going to produce to the value of the signed contract.

Signing Millwood to a contract beyond 3 years kind of scares me more than the fact of it being at $12 mill. Scott Boras is a shrewd prick, but he certainly is damn good at what he does.

For those who want to complain about passing up on these fine crop of B-list free agents blatantly goes to show why they aren't GM. If it's Tejada (which I think is a STRONG possibility and if I had to guess, I would imagine he ends up in Houston), then great.

But getting the only reason at going out in the market and trying to get a Tejada is an attempt to get Clemens back. Personally I would not trade for Tejada if it involved parting ways with Lidge -- absolutely not.

What many seem to forget is the Astros don't need a new bat (to contend), at least not this offseason, which I'm sure McPura have debated. So say no one big is signed/traded for. Worst case scenario is trading for someone in June (say, Reggie Sanders from KC).

Now of the free agents out there, what are your thoughts on guys like Preston Wilson, Pokey Reese, Michael Tucker, Brian Jordan, Wes Helms , or even [GULP] Hidalgo or Juan Gonzalez, assuming they would be signed for reasonably inexpensive amounts?

And you never know, Bagwell might even be able to produce to some extent.

19. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

20. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member