1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Ramona suggesting racism in NO towards agent & AD

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JW86, Nov 27, 2019.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Wow, add this to the fake news list, my god...

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

let’s not act like there’s people who don’t feel some type of way because a black agent now has so much power

3. Nook

Nook Member

Ramona Shelburn will literally write anything to get her closer to the Lakers and their players and ownership.

I am sure this man:
    [​IMG]

Was racist against these men:
    [​IMG]

I'm sure it had absolutely nothing to do with Davis saying he would not request a trade in season, then weeks later having his agent leak that he wanted a trade and wanted to be traded to the Lakers to play with LeBron James....... who share the same agent and also happen to be best friends.

I'm sure that had nothing to do with it at all.

Maybe there is more to the story that I am not aware of but I am skeptical.

4. lionaire

lionaire Member

what an idiot

pantherheat32 likes this.
  5. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

"You're down in the south, man..."

I guess someone could generalize and say that Ramona grew up in a rich, white bubble in Los Angeles where they treat Hispanics like a servant class and call the cops on Blacks driving through their neighborhoods.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-lapd-searches-20190605-story.html

Los Angeles police officers search blacks and Latinos far more often than whites during traffic stops, even though whites are more likely to be found with illegal items, a Times analysis has found.

I guess she turns off Randy Newman's "Rednecks" before it gets to the final verse.

6. JW86

JW86 Member

Exactly! She seems to talk from a place of ignorance and suggesting it's all racism in the south.

7. omgTHEpotential

Ramona Shelbourne is the trash of sports journalists. She's like Stephen A Smith, except fat, ugly, and not entertaining at all... If there was a bar association for journalists, she wouldn't have a job now. What an irresponsible piece of ****, making an ignorant generalization like that with no actual proof.

#7 omgTHEpotential, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Very discriminating quote from her, judging and shaming an entire region of the US and the millions of folks who live there. Shameful but not surprised. ESPN and their "talent" are pure trash sans JVG.

9. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Oops. I ain't touching this one.

Zboy, Astrodome, clutchdabear and 3 others like this.
  10. omgTHEpotential

That's what Ramona said when someone offered her a salad.

11. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The vast majority of NBA fans are actually minorities in their respective countries, including the US.

I’m sure there’s at least one person that watches the NBA that’s racist against blacks, but it’s not really a systemic problem in basketball, unlike other sports (cough NFL)

12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

That analysis uses completely random stops. It’s more likely an artifact of what neighborhood they are in, and it’s crime rates, than indication of a bias.

That’s why nobody takes the LA times seriously. The proof is already in the data in other places, you don’t need to extrapolate ridiculous conclusions on top of that. It just takes away from the scientific rigor of the analysis.

pantherheat32 likes this.
  13. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Nobody takes the LA Times seriously except for the LAPD which, in response to the intitial study, is cutting back on the strategy of "pulling over random vehicles."

https://www.latimes.com/california/...-major-changes-to-elite-metropolitan-division

Anyway, my relatively anodyne point was that racism exists in all regions of this country, not just the south as Ramona seems to imply. Do you really want to get into the history of racism in the LAPD and Los Angeles, in general?

#13 dc rock, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

"Now"? There are black GMs, and almost every superstar is black. Why not agents? Ramona is just showing us today's edition of ESPN-quality sh**posting. "Sports journalism" = forum quality hot takes.

roslolian, NotInMyHouse and csj like this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

There’s like 4 black GMs in the entire NBA: Elton Brand, Scott Perry, Koby Altman, and James Jones. I can only think of 2 black Team Presidents: Steve Mills, and Masai Ujiri.

A black man is now the most powerful agent in the NBA, and some hate it.

FrontRunner, jklb and DreamShook like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Okay....... maybe, I guess...... the NBA is by far the most inclusive league and there are black employees all over the place.... seems the NBA would not be the sport for someone that dislikes black people to work in.

Even accepting your premise...... I don't think a black GM was angry that there was a powerful black agent he was dealing with.

It is far more likely he was pissed that there was obvious collusion between said agent and James and Davis.

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Ramona needs to have her credentials revoked.

There’s no reason for her to be getting opportunities to peddle her bullshit takes and lazy analysis.

I’m sure there are hundreds of sports reporters that would kill to have her platform and would approach the job with creativity and integrity .

Can anyone link an interesting story she’s written ?

Zboy and clutchdabear like this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

Sure there are black employees all over the place, but very few of them are decision makers or have any real power. Rich Paul is now the most powerful agent in the sport. He’s running things. He’s only going to keep increasing the number of high profile clients he represents.

I don’t think Demps was angry at Rich Paul because Paul was black, but Demps did answer to people who weren’t black. Don’t get me wrong tho, the way AD and Paul went about that trade demand was the main issue. However, there’s not a doubt in my mind that some have negative feelings about a black agent being this powerful.

FrontRunner, jowman and DreamShook like this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LAmona. Despicable.

macho GRANDE and Nook like this.
  20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Ramona, a literal self righteous Hollywood pig.