1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Radio: Spurs/Sixers/Knicks three-way

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by thacabbage, Jul 21, 2003.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

ESPN Radio reported that a three team trade between the 76ers, Knicks, and Spurs is in the works which would send Sprewell to San Antonio, Van Horn to New York, and Malick Rose to Philly.

Seems like a knee-jerk reaction by the Spurs to add star power after the Lakers' signings. They are much better off with Rose.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

P.J. is an SA Spur assistant.

3. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

I can't see them profitting from that trade, but I guess they are going to lose Stephen Jackson in free agency? I think it helps get the Knicks bigger at the 3-spot, but how does it help the seventy-suckers? I think that the Spurs will be giving up their best big man off the bench for a guy (Spree) that is past his prime and an attitude problem to boot.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Doesn't there have to be more involved for the salaries to match? I had read somewhere that the Knicks GM thought Van Horn was the second coming. The Knicks have to be one of the worst managed teams in the League. When are they going to can Layden??

The Spurs must be flippin' out over developments in LA (both teams!) and not getting Kidd. P.J. must be freaking out, TheFreak. ;)

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

can't be right. sixers overpay Kenny and now want Rose? Weird.

6. reallyBaked

reallyBaked Member

why would Philly be so stupid as to trade all-star quality talent for M.Rose?

I don't buy this at all...

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Van Horn isn't all-star quality...

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Maybe Philly is clearing cap space for the future? I don't see how Philly benefits either. They have no shooters!

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I find this humorous for all teams...

Where are the big men on the Spurs' roster? They signed Rasho, and they have Duncan. I can't think of a single player over 6-7 and under 40 years old that they have outside that pair. Am I missing someone?

Obviously, the best way to beat the Lakers now with 2 foul magnets down low in Malone and Shaq will be to completely thin out your front line.

For the Sixers, Rose is a good player. I suppose they pay KT the bucks, and he is now a fulltime SF? At least they're trying to regain the sort of team that took them to the Finals with dirty work guys inside.
    New York is doing a good job diversifying their PF talents. Look at it:

Injured: McDyess
    Lottery pick: Sweetney
    2nd round teenager: Lampe
    Thug: Kurt Thomas
    Blackhole: Othella
    Undersized: Weatherspoon
    Overpaid: Van Horn

I am absolutely impressed. They have managed to acquire collection of 7 PFs, not one of whom should be playing center. I suppose they start Thug at center, Injured at PF, and Overpaid at small forward. Then they'll still have Undersized, Blackhole, 2nd Rounder, and Lotto Pick to come off the bench.

Layden for GM of the year.

10. cson

cson Contributing Member

You seriously think the fans in SA give a flying **** about Spree? Star Power?

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Whether true or not, I look for the Spurs to work a major 3-way at some point, all the way to the trade deadline in February, rather than spend on the remaing FAncy. With $7m or so left under the cap, they can be a major player in any talks of 3-way, but they don't have much to move, so they need to find something like this where VH is overpriced and Sprewell is getting a little up there in age.

not when Spree and Van Horn match and the Spurs have cap space to spend.

Philly might be looking to purge a little $$s after signing Kenny, and Kenny has proven he can play with other PFs on the court at the same time. I don't really see a conflict with Rose other than Philly needs a shooter, and Van Horn kinda gave them that.

btw: Van Horn would be trounced by NY fans/media, especially if they give up Sprewell for him.

12. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I think this trade is very good for the Spurs. Besides the lack of big men off the bench, they look very good on paper. Although he's 32 years old, Spree is still one of the best open court players in the game (if not the best) and can put a lock down on his man. He's also a gifted scorer. Now they've got Spree, Bowen, and Ginobili who can play solid defense on anyone. They lose nothing defensively when substituting.
    pg-Parker
    sg-Jackson
    sf-Spree
    pf-Duncan
    c-Rasho

13. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

The Spurs have been interested in Spree anytime he's been on the block due to Popovich's relationship with him dating back to when Pop was an assistant in Golden State and Spree was a rookie.

I wouldn't like this deal. It's been in the SA media for last 5 days or so and I've heard about it before then. About the only way it would really make sense for the Spurs would be if they could add Brad Miller after dealing Rose for Spree and then Nesterovic would take over Rose's bench role.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Good assessment.

BTW - Where does Ginobili fit in SA?

15. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

The Spurs want Ginobili in SA long term at the 2. He's who the Knicks originally wanted and the Spurs said he's untouchable.

16. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Their frontcourt depth is already weak now w/ Robinson's retirement and who knows what's going to happen w/ Kevin Willis. Sure, their starting five looks good on paper, but what's going to happen when Duncan or Rasho get in foul trouble? Malik Rose is very effective in spot duty w/ the energy he brings to the floor.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Interesting trade if this does go down.

From the SA perspective I see Sprewell as the answer to the Lakers getting Payton. It gives the Spurs another GOOD defensive swingman to go up against payton and Kobe. In the Lakers getting Payton and Malone I see Payton as the biggest coup. Contrary to beliefs I believe the BIGGEST weakness of the lakers was PG defense and not the PF position. Shaq was able to cover for that. Getting Payton was the key. The Spurs getting Sprewell is their counter. But giving up Rose is huge! He provided a lot of energy off of the bench. I have to agree with MrSpur, if they do this trade they still have to do something about the backup PF spot. Not sure they will get Miller but perhaps a Tyrone Hill or something like that is available.

From the 76 perspective giving up KVH for Rose is odd. They brought in KVH as another scorer, someone to hit the outside shot and take the pressure of AI. Bringing in Rose just adds more beef down low. But where does KT play? Not sure how this helps the 76ers here. I see Rose as more of a complemantary player not somone you go to for offense.

From the Knicks persepective you bring in more height at the SF position but you lose the athleticism of Sprewell. The Knicks need to make moves to add more HEIGHT to their C/PF spots but this does not help them any here. They also need a better PG and this move again does not help them here. They just tred water.

Really this trade is a big huge question mark for me. Not sure who it helps. I think it helps the Spurs the most if they get a decent backup PF. Other than that very odd!

And yeah, funny that PJ is the assistant coach in SA! Nice! ;)

18. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I guess Spree wants to be classy.

19. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oops, someone delete the other thread, i didn't see this one first. Isn't PJ an assistant coach with the Spurs?!?

20. verse

verse Contributing Member

CLASSIC.