1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Racist???

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dirtyfithynasty, Sep 23, 2002.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

There was never any question that Fish was being sarcastic. I did not realize that I needed to say that in my previous post. I listen to Fish on the Radio every day and he has been talking about this most of his show. Of course the article was meant as a knock on ESPN.com and it was funny in its sarcasm but it was sad that the ESPN.com coaches ranking is real.

BTW, Leon Simon (a black guy on Fish’s show he used to be a coach and is now a barber) mentioned that Rudy T was ranked too low. I was very happy to hear someone say it.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Fish talked about this very thing on his show today. The difference here is that the are a lot more black running backs and wide receivers in the NFL than white ones. There fore it is easy to loose them in the mix or at least understandable that the top 12 or 13 are mostly black.

In the NBA there are 14 black coaches and 15 white coaches (two that were not ranked) and it was almost divided evenly, white coaches at the top and black coaches at the bottom. Imagine if George Karl had not screwed up the WBC's then surely the first 13 spots would have been all white while the next 13 would have been all black. As it stands Doc Rivers was the lone black coach to crack the top 13 coming in at number 13. Of course Linny Wilkens is a better coach than Jim Obrian...please.

3. robbie31580

robbie31580 Member

sorry from the way you posted it sounded as if you were referencing it. i know by saying this i will piss some people off, but in my african american studies course that i took a couple of semesters back you hear people vaguely accusing other people with being racist and assuming that attitudes on race haven't progressed past the 1950's. that article reminded me of some of the stuff i read in that course. i told him that it sounded like it was something written for the Daily Sun and i asked him if it was a joke or not. i don't listen to fish so i don't know his sense of humor...and there have been serious articles that have been written in that manner that i have read. its sad but true.

anyhow...i don't think anything was racist here...just the usual experts that this forum regularly bashes being idiots. if you think it was racist then just ask yourself how often you see ESPN being directly or indirectly racist...if you say you see them that way then i guess we have different perspectives on the subject because i really don't see them acting as if they were some good ole boy racists all the time. ok im gonna shut up now :)

4. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I found an old Aldridge article that I think is pretty relevant to the subject of this thread. In any case, its a good read: