1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Playmakers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by outlaw, Mar 30, 2004.

1. outlaw

outlaw Member

Never saw this show but I remember seeing some threads here about it when it was on.

Surprisingly, this weekend it won the GLAAD (Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) Award for Best Drama Television Series beating out Queer As Folk, Six Feet Under, Nip/Tuck and Degrassi: The Next Generation.

Anyone know if/when ESPN is showing the reruns? Did the entire series deal with gay issues or was it just one particular episode? anyone know if there will be a DVD released? thanks!

2. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I doubt they will show any of the reruns since the show was cancelled after the Janet Jackson thing. I watched most of last season so i may be able to shed some light on the gay issue.

The starting TE of the team was gay. There was an ongoing plot about that charactor dealing with that in the issue througout the footbal season. When the owner found out he made him go on injured reserve even though he was the only guy on the team to make the pro bowl.

3. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I thought it was cancelled because the NFL didnt' like it.. it had something to do with the janet thing?

4. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

That Janet thing had nothing to do with Playmakers being cancelled. I believe Kilgore Trout just referenced Janet as a point in time reference. NFL players did not think the show represented NFL players fairly, and such "big-time" players like Warren Sapp refused to do interviews with ESPN (and this is a bad thing?) as a show of disapproval. Then Gatorade pulled its advertising for that show and ESPN felt the pressure to cancel the show.

5. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Not directly, but the NFL put pressure on ESPN to get rid of it just a few days after the superbowl. At the time they were talking about it on PTI and said it might have been the NFL trying to clean up its image after the Janet mess.

It also could have just been an issue they wanted to deal with after the season was over.

6. Nomar

Nomar Member

1. It was pulled way before the Janet incident.

2. There was an overarcing story line about a gay player.

3. It's a damn shame because it was a great show.

7. outlaw

outlaw Member

thanks for the info. sounds interesting.
    guess i'll have to look for the episodes online.

they should do a pro basketball version. Fewer players on a team would allow them to explore each character more.

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Well, with Maurice Taylor, Eddie Griffin,and Steve on this team the past few years, any show of that type would be rather boring...

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'm pretty sure that you can buy the 1st season on dvd now.

10. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Did they make it to the playoffs?

11. drapg

drapg Member

DVD comes out April 20.

I've got it preordered through Amazon.com

The cancellation was underway WAY before the Janet Jackson incident.

12. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Nope. They won their final game but another team won on a miracle comeback to beat them out for the final playoff spot...

13. Nomar

Nomar Member

Ever hear of spoiler warnings? Jeez.

14. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

What the hell? The series ended months ago...

15. Nomar

Nomar Member

And?

The guy who's thread you are posting in hasn't seen it! Use some common sense!