1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Nuggets seek Nene extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Feb 22, 2011.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nuggets seek Nene extension

[rquoter]We have our first surprise of the final 2 ½ days of trade fun that the NBA’s long-running Melo Drama did not consume:

The Denver Nuggets, according to sources close to the situation, are already pitching a contract extension to Nene.

It had been widely assumed around the league that Denver’s center would shoot to the front of the trade line as soon as a Carmelo Anthony deal finally got done … and assuming there was enough time before the deadline for the Nuggets to work on follow-up deals.

But teams that have been calling for Nene -- and I’m told that more than half the league has rung Denver in recent weeks to register interest in the Brazilian big man -- are gradually being informed that a key element of the Nuggets’ post-Melo plan is trying to convince Nene to stay.

Although his love for the city is unquestioned, Nene has the right to opt out of his contract at season’s end and is poised to walk away from the $11.6 million he’s scheduled to make in 2011-12 to become a free agent. One source briefed on the state of negotiations told ESPN.com on Monday night not to completely rule out a trade, but confirmed that A) Denver’s immediate intent now that six-plus months of Melo-induced limbo is over is to try to reach terms with Nene on an extension before the June 30 deadline and B) a trade closer to the draft is the more likely escape route for Nene if talks don’t go anywhere.

The short-term impact is that a clutch of teams that planned to be lobbing in trade bids for Nene up to Thursday’s 3 p.m. ET trade buzzer, headlined by Houston and Miami, have become increasingly resigned to the fact that he won’t be made available this week as so widely presumed.

[/rquoter]

2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't want him anyway. Does anybody think the Nugs will hold on to the 8 spot.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nene loves it in Denver, but will he really sign an extension to lose for the next 5 years?

4. Mooch

Mooch Member

sucks to be a rockets fans for the next 5years

1 person likes this.
  5. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

The Nuggets will be mediocre. Chauncy was running that offense and his favorite person to feed is gone in Melo. You take that away they don't have much. You will start to see all of Denver's players turn back into mere mortals again. Remember how Denver was with AI at PG, and they barely were squeeking into the playoffs.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Well, looks like Portland will get the 6th seed unless they completely blow up their team also. Memphis probably had the inside track for the 7th if not for Gay's shoulder. Utah is struggling and the Rox are below average. I'd say they have a shot if they don't trade Gallo and Timmy. PHX is interesting, they are finding themselves at the right time and Steve will keep them competitive.

7. davestrate

davestrate Member

The houston rockets are ****d! :mad:

8. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I think he just gonna wait it out until the summer and see how it goes with the new group.

9. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

I didnt like the risk with his injuries, so I am not that dissapointed.

10. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

i don't get it. dude's just an average role player and an overpaid one. why did he get so much press?

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Doubtful. He'll go to the highest bidder once the new CBA is in place.

12. rocketsmetalspd

On to plan B in getting a C. I am sure the the roster will be revamp by Thursday. I don't see the Rockets keeping this roster intact. The players were selected to compliment Yao and now with him gone it is time to make some moves to go in another direction. It will be interesting to see what Morey can do now that some options may not be there for the taking.

13. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

I'm sure Lawson & Felton will run that offense as best as they can without a superstar. Billups will still be feeding his player just in another uniform, I wonder if billups is upset, but u can't really do much about it.

14. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

15. HMMMHMM

16. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

ugh

morey should have got gortat a long time ago its his stupid fault

17. HMMMHMM

Sorry, but that's nonsense.

18. Rockzilla

Rockzilla Member

:rolleyes:

When midnight strike for the start of free agency, Morey was at his house with a Rockets jersey trying to sign him. He did all he could.

19. megastahr

he could have traded for him before free agency...he could have traded for him in december...magic was always going to trade him.

If we would have dealt courtney lee early in the season before they drasticlly changed the roster we prob could have got him then

20. megastahr

He didnt do all he could if he had hed been here...morey has let all these freakin cause pass us by because he was shooting for melo and bosh...now were screwed....

We missed chandler because we were saving for the big name...we could have got gortat earlier but we were saving for the big name... there was a report that we could have got phillys big and drafted cousins ...but the price was too high...

Cousins for whatver we would have paid is looking pretty good right now......