1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] New York Knicks Making Progress on Carmelo Anthony Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketMania1991, Oct 19, 2010.

1. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Very stupid comment. Amare was already good before Nash got to Phoenix. The benefited from each other at time, but to say "piggyback" is outlandishly baseless :rolleyes:

2. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

I wonder if some team that is scared of the coming new CBA salary cap might give a 5 through 10 #1 pick to Knicks for Currys salary cap relief and a decent player. A lot of teams or struggling money wise.

I am not a roster knowledgeable person like most of you are but if Knicks give up 2 to 3 good players to get Carmelo isn't there roster going to be so thin that there starters are going to have to play 40+ minutes a game to have a good enough winning record to get into the playoffs (risking a bigger chance of injuries ) that by the time playoff start they will be to tired to do well?

Also won't this trade keep there roster depleted for at least two years and there salary to high for the coming new CBA expected hard cap?

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

All first round exits too, except the year they finished 2nd.....very Tmac-ish...don't ya think?

Folks have not figured out that Melo is Tmac part 2.....at least mentally, and as a player he is just a scorer and dominates the ball.

Does not fit in Houston...

Thank god !

DD

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The suns were one of the best teams in the league the years Amare were out with the knee problems and they were playing with Diaw. Nash is the only player in the league that I can say with all certainty that makes other players better. He makes turds look like all-stars like Diaw.

5. worzel gummidge

Kings were denied a new stadium this or last month. They could possibly see this as an opportunity to move Beno's bad contract. A dollar beer night couldn't even pull a sellout event.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The Melo/Knixies question is 'how many wins better does Melo make the New Yorkers?' (and, therefore, how does his putative appearance on MSG's home court affect the value of Rox' Knix' pix? :confused:

7. DaDakota

I have already said at the beginning of this thread we should trade our picks to NY to help them get Melo.

2nd post in the entire thread.

Now, I am just pointing out that Melo sucks for us....

;)

DD

8. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I honestly don't see why NY would still look to trade for Anthony, when they can simply sign him in the 2011 off-season without giving up any type of asset they have. NY simply need's to be patient... and play out the season!

Melo has obviously made up his mind he want to play for NY, which means Nuggets are screwed, because no team will give up a serious asset for a one year rental, or half a year rental come the trade deadline...

--RB

9. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

The only way i would help the knicks is if a 3rd team that is high on randolph or gallinary is involved in return i would rather want a decent 7 footer why in the world would we want anything else? we need height to compete against the celtics and the lakers. Randolph has potential, but we already have alot of young players IMO.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Captain Obvious says that Melo is most likely going to New York one way or another, at the trade deadline at the latest. Why not make use of this situation now before the trade demands become less steep at the deadline.

I believe we should be the third team to help New York make this deal, but that does come with a price, and I believe Gallinari would be that price. Heres how the deal that they should make though.

-Houston Sends 2011 first round pick swap, 2012 first round pick, and Jermaine Taylor to New York

-New York Sends Danilo Gallinari to Houston

-New York Sends 2011 first round pick swap, 2012 first round pick, and Anthony Randolph to the Nuggets.

-Denver sends Carmelo Anthony to New York

The Reasons the Rockets do this
    -The main weakness right now is at the SF spot and I believe Chase budinger is better suited GUARDING shooting guards in this league. He just isnt going to start in this league guarding guys like Lebron and Melo. Gallinari is an upgrade at the SF spot and gives us a better lineup to win now with Yao. He isnt as good as Danny Grainger or Andre Igoudala, but he would be a wonderful complement to the players we have now.

-The Draft picks from the Knicks were always a gamble. Why not materialize them for something that can help us win both now and in the future. Plus, we already have alot of young players now who need time to develop, and the draft for this next year will not be as plentiful due to the CBA and players coming out this Spring in the draft.

-Taylor needs to be moved. He is not going to get better this season unless he sees significant time on the floor and the Rockets arent helping him develop by the decrease in time he will get this season behind a deeper bench.

11. No Chance

I know a lot of people are hot on getting Carmelo but I would worried about what kind of attitude and team chemistry he would bring with him?

I do think we need a superstar but we need to be at least a little picky.

Does anybody think that are great bench will make up for at least some of our shortcomings of not having a star? I am expecting a steady improvement from BUD and that this being Courtney 3rd year he will shine, not a star but very good role player.

Does anybody think J T will ever show up in the rotation ??

#111 No Chance, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  12. No Chance

Was also thinking about T-Wolves and Hornets.

13. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

Does NY have the cap space to sign Melo outright? What if Melo decides he'd rather get an extension elsewhere then risk losing money after the CBA? The Nuggets could be screwed, but it's really a game of chicken to see who's going to bail on thier goals first. Unless things can work out where everyone is happy, which is very unlikely.

As for trading our pick back to NY...why? It seems like Randolph and Gallo are off the table since they will be needed in the Denver trade. So Chandler or Douglas? Maybe Douglas since he can replace Ish and we won't essentially be losing a trade asset as well as a pick. As well, that makes our PGs more expendable, annd I guess weakens the Knicks to make the other pick we own a little better. Really, I don't think Morey would do this unless he has another team to trade with. We don't need more players, we need to consolidate to upgrade.

Aside: I wonder if Morey will come to a point at the trade deadline that he's willing to overpay for an upgrade, knowing that he can't always wait for the right deal to come around and he can't use all his assets as is anyway.

1 person likes this.
  14. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Don't worry, DD. Carmelo Anthony isn't a winner, remember?

15. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

I agree. I know that we have a present issue with the Knicks and their draft picks, and that we beat them in 1994 to win our first title, but the Knicks have sucked for too long. I want Melo in a Rockets uniform, but if he goes to NY I will cheer like hell for them to win the East.

16. DaDakota

He is not an Alpha Dog at the NBA level, but if you put him with Amare who is...it makes their team better.....not a championship team, but a playoff one, and that kills the value of their picks for us....or at least reduces them significantly.

DD

17. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We still would have to send them something other then a pick right? The Rockets are over the cap and can't asborb a contract based off a pick. They would have to be under the cap to do that.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Dang, I hate when we agree (but it's rare enough not to worry much about :rolleyes: ). I have called for the use of those picks ASAP because I do believe the Knixies will buy their way into less advantageous draft positions.

19. DaDakota

JT is wasted here.

DD

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I don't know why all of you are saying let's trade and try and get value for the Knicks pick now. I'm pretty sure that pick is at the lowest value it's going to be at right now as most teams are betting the Knicks will make the playoffs even without Melo. If you ask me, the Knicks could only stand to get worse with their front office's reputation for making deals.

I think Morey should try and enter the fray to pick up some assets, (maybe trade a pick with the Nuggets) but the worst thing Morey could do right now is get low value for that pick. Even if it's a late first round pick, Morey has a talent for finding value late in the draft so it may be a case where the pick is not worth trading because Houston could get more actual value just by playing the draft game and either drafting or maybe finding a team willing to trade down in the draft(happens every year). Seriously, this pick is just sweetener - I don;t think the pick will ever be a critical piece to any deal but rather a good asset in a larger deal.

1 person likes this.