1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the EAST FINALS Game 1 as Tatum and the Celtics host Haliburton and the Pacers. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ESPN] New York Knicks Making Progress on Carmelo Anthony Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketMania1991, Oct 19, 2010.

1. AQS18

AQS18 Member

I know that is the most reasonable scenario, but wouldn't that be a PR nightmare for everyone involved?

Having a guy on the team and he doesn't even want to be there. That would mess with the chemistry of the team.

Also, the longer they wait, the less value they will get in return, IMO.

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

problem isnt our package, problem is that melo wont sign an extension with us

3. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

i hope i dont offend anyone here but

denver,cleveland,toronto,suns, are all a bunch of b****ass loser clubs.

they dont have balls to stand up for their fans...they let these primadonnas walk all over them

lebron didnt just walk, cleveland like the wussies they are,gave in at the last minute and accepted picks from heat so lebron could get more money,so did toronto and suns for amare

denver is going to get TRASH for melo..instead of letting him walk...

you may say "its better to get something instead of nothing" ..i just disagree,it tells your fans that you accepted primadonna behavior and REWARDED that primadonna with a sign and trade to the perferred team of the primadonnas chosing and destroyed your fanbase/club and you reward this player by accepting horrible picks and trash just so that player can get more money and you can tell fans "we got something instead of nothing"

when is a Gm going to have the balls to tell his fans " we arent doing sign and trades,let him walk, he is a loser, he doesnt care about fans or this city,lets boo him and he isnt getting extra money at our expense"

when is a gm going to say that? am i the only one that has the balls to tell these agents and so called jesus Lebron to F-OFF when he asks for a sign and trade

rebuild through the draft ala morey...morey doesnt need to extend brooks, morey has every player by the balls, morey is a badass like i wish all gms would be, morey isnt going to reward a player with a sign and trade so that player can go to his favorite team while we rocket fans cry because that player wanted to leave

morey = badass,if any player doesnt like it here,then screw you we replace you easily through the draft and you lose money in the process

toronto/denver/cleveland = softies who got scared of lrmr and caved in to accepting 2nd round picks from heat just so lebron/bosh could get paid...wow

4. Houston_Rockets

If I am Denver, and they offer me, Curry, gallinari, Randolph, plus a pick (let´s say #15, realistically the pick will be lower) for Anthony I would just laugh, and ask the other GM to leave

gallo is one of the most overrated players out there

The only thing he does is shoot, and of course, playing the fast pace game, were he gets those 3pt were the defense has a hard time recovering, come playoff time this kid will have 0 shots, they would have to play a more mid court offense, and with a hand in his face he will not shoot it, on defense he is slow for a wing player

I laugh when people bash fans that like Budinger, and then they say that gallo is a stud.....

And I am sorry to tell you guys, this article has 0 news, this is the same information we had for weeks, ESPN is just trying to make a push for the knicks, as they did with LBJ (with the results we know)

Only thing I know is that if Melo doesn´t go to the Knicks, Amare will be the best player in the league (statistically) dude was a monster today

PeAcE

5. AQS18

AQS18 Member

Didn't SI and Yahoo both say he was interested in signing with us?

I don't see why he would flat out say no to any trade to Houston.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Morey's belief, at least pre-summer of LeBron, was that star players don't walk away from the extra money, but I do think "The Decision" changed that. Players are wanting to group together and are taking more control (though both Bosh and LeBron did do sign-and-trades).

Morey did acquire Artest without an extension, but that's a totally different situation -- he was more valuable because he was expiring after the year (Ron Ron on a long-term deal is a scary commitment).

I'm sure Morey would do something like that at a discount, but Denver assuredly has many suitors for Anthony. No need.

So my guess would be no.

If Denver is smart, they would play Houston and New York against each other here and milk it. I still say this though -- <a href="http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1571/carmelo_anthony_houston_rockets/" title="Houston Rockets Carmelo Anthony">it's all up to Carmelo</a>, and if Denver is making progress with New York, Anthony is driving this. New York has got to be his choice. No way Denver is looking at all the suitors and saying the Knicks package is the best for them. They probably feel right now that the Knicks is their only option because Carmelo is likely saying (my guess) that he will only sign an extension with them.

7. AQS18

AQS18 Member

If this Masai Ujiri guy is a good scout like his resume thinks, he has to think highly of Budinger.

IMO, Budinger>Gallinari.

While Gallinari is bigger and a tad bit better beyond the arc, Budinger does virtually everything better and is a more dynamic player.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

LOL. how cute.

9. AQS18

AQS18 Member

Doesn't Melo's contract also expire after this season?

With the whole LeBron fiasco, LeBron, Wade and Bosh didn't have to worry about the upcoming CBA and the financial apects of it.

Melo is gonna really lose alot of money if he doesn't sign the extension during the current CBA. Plus, he doesn't have the luxury like LeBron to make up for the money with endorsements because Melo isn't as marketable and popular as LeBron.

You can't tell me that if we aquire Melo and make it to the Finals, which I believe would happen, Melo won't sign with us.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Heres what Vegas thinks:

(1) Miami 63.5
    (2) Orlando 54.5
    (3) Boston 54.5
    (4) Atlanta 48.5
    (5) Chicago 48.5
    (6) Charlotte 41.5
    (7) Milwaukee 41.5

(8) New York 35.5
    (9) Cleveland 33.5
    (10) Philadelphia 33.5
    (11) Indiana 33.5
    (12) Detroit 32.5

Eight through Twelve is so close, any injuries could play a HUGE role in how it goes down.

If they do miss the playoffs you are looking at probably the tenth overall pick. Previous picks at 10: Paul George, Brandon Jennings, Brook Lopez, Spencer Hawes, Saer Sene, Andrew Bynum, Luke Jackson, Jarvis Hayes.

I would propose offering the Knicks pick back to New York for Douglas. I have really been impressed with Douglas lately. He scored 24 tonight on 12 shots with six steals.

Houston: Douglas
    Denver: Curry, Gallo, Randolph, NY 2012 #1
    New York: Mello

#50 larsv8, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  11. AQS18

AQS18 Member

Gallinari's back is a ticking time bomb.

Wasn't their a report out their stating Dan wouldn't last to long in this league.

Don't forget, Dan's stats were severely inflated in D'Antoni's freestyle offense.

If I were a GM, I'd choose Budinger over Gallinari any day of the week,

Why do you think Dan is better than Chase?

12. AQS18

AQS18 Member

Chandler isn't worth it. We should be getting back Randolph instead.

And Douglas is a PG. We already have 2 of them, good ones add you.

How would Douglas get any playing time?

I have been convinced that Ish Smith is the next coming of CP3, flame on! :p

13. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm won't even comment on that, presuming your being completely sarcastic.

I cannot think of any team willing to give up a player better than either Randolph or Gallinari to get either player, which would likely mean a draft pick.

However, the impression that I get from Denver's requests is that they would prefering to player more than picks, much less one of the Knicks pick via the Rockets since it would be devalued after Melo & Stoudamire play a season together.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I too want Randolph, but the team needs Chandler.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Well according to the Philly insider, when Houston/Philly were talking last year, Philly offered

Iggy, Daly, L. Will

for

McGrady, Lowry (possibly one other piece)

As far as I remember Lowry was the stickler in that trade. Acquiring Douglas could free up the ability to land Iguodala by moving Lowry.

16. AQS18

AQS18 Member

Didn't Amare average like 20 and 9 with Stephon Marbury as his PG in 2003.

His knees are fine, the eyes were the ones that cost him significant time recently.

17. AQS18

AQS18 Member

I think those rumors were shot down as false.

The new deal would have involved Ariza/Hill/Jeffries for Iggy and Smith.

With Ariza now gone, the Sixers don't have any interest in anything we have to offer.

18. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

Nuggets rank in wins in the Western Conference during the Melo era:

03-04: 43 wins - 8th in west
    04-05: 49 wins - 7th in west
    05-06: 44 wins - tied for 7th in west
    06-07: 45 wins - tied for 6th in west
    07-08: 50 wins - tied for 8th in west
    Nuggets acquire Chauncey Billups
    08-09: 54 wins - 3 way tie for 2nd in west
    09-10: 53 wins - tied for 4th in west

Can you see the difference??? With Melo, they were a mediocre team with decent records, but a fringe playoff team at best in the west. With Billups added, they made a huge jump. Billups isn't a stat monster, but he's a very good point guard who makes teammates better. Melo is a very good player. The Knicks would probably be better with him, but there's a distinction between making a team better and making your teammates better.

19. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

another team should be involved if we're gonna acquire a player from NYK..we'll have an overdose of guaranteed contracts.

20. AQS18

AQS18 Member

Chandler is alright, but wouldn't fit a need. Battier and Budinger are alright and I don't see Chandler warranting less PT for Battier and Budinger.

Randolph on the other hand is that hybrid 3/4/5 and strong weakside shotblocker that we would need.