1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Nets look at Scola

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The_Yoyo, Jul 8, 2010.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If I'm the Nets, why wouldn't I just trade Kris Humphries (and maybe Quinton Ross in a separate trade using the minimum salary trade exception) to Utah for Andrei Kirilenko?

Why wouldn't both teams do that deal?

The Nets get their Russian basketball star to help market the team in the owner's home country, plus they get to clear up cap room for 2011 with his expiring contract.

The Jazz get out from under Kirilenko's huge contract, while also getting a sizable trade exception.

How is this not more appealing to New Jersey than signing a 30-year-old restricted free agent power forward to a contract that will obviously need to be too big in order for Houston not to match?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Because even the Nets owner knows AK47 is not all that great.

DD

3. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Just joking, what will happen if Nets Russian owner got put into jail like some other Russian rich guys? ;)

4. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

I think Luis stays. He's a loyal guy

5. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Especially cuz the owner is ALSO Russian

6. dartherus

dartherus Member

Most of fans seem to forget how EXTREMEDLY DURABLE Scola is....
    Do you realize he has not missed due to injury one single match (pre-season, regular season, playoff)....since arriving to NBA? how many players can say that?

He's 30 since April, but his body is more durable than most young athletic freaks.....besides, his playing stylke doesn't rely in athleticism at all (the first thing lost with age), instead it relies more in very solid fundamentals and very high Baskebtall IQ, wich are not lost with age....

Players like him in Europe can play until his late 30s at their best shape....
    Even in NBA, Michael Jordan got his 6th finals MVP and his 6th ring at 35.....

What makes you think that a guy so durable as Scola won't be playing at his best at 35? could anybody explain why people are so afraid because Scola is 30?

When will somebody comment this age issue directly?

1 person likes this.
  7. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

He also plays year around like many other international players.. and like you said..dude's durable as hell

8. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I have a hard time thinking NJ would throw a ton of money at 30 yr old Luis when they just drafted their future at PF and are clearly in rebuilding mode. Scola would make them a better team in the short term, but I just don't see how that makes sense as a long term strategy....that being said, I have been wrong before.

10. worzel gummidge

The minimum team payroll for this season is $43.43 million.

Net's current payroll is $20,754,985. Figure does not include Outlaw.

11. Laozi

Laozi Member

I would think Scola would be looking for 5-6 years. NJ might be able to front load a contract and all, but does either side really see being together that long? Theres a fair chance this will be Scola's last NBA contract, he'll likely look at the best fit over the life of the contract. Even though I don't believe Luis would go I still expect Utah to try and make a play.

12. worzel gummidge

Utah only has the MLE.

13. Laozi

Laozi Member

Yeah, they'd have to do a sign and trade, but if they could be dedicated enough to find something that might pique Morey's interest involving other teams. Its would be sorta like Bosh and Houston but they'd have to convince Scola SLC doesn't suck.

14. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I knew I didn't like the new Nets owner for some reason. This thought obviously crossed my mind when I knew none of the big FAs would want to play for the worst team.

15. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

We cant afford to lose Scola so they wont be getting him. I dont see why they even ask except to drive up the price? Then Scola has to accept also and he says he wants to stay here.

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Of course if they drive up the price? I hope Morey returns the favor on one of the restricteds the next time they come in play.

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

If Francis held basketball at a higher priority and was part of the fabric of the team, and justified his contract by inspiring fan interest, perhaps they woulda reconsidered. Sure they got under the tax by moving him, sure they shouldnt have given him a player option for him to choose and do absolutely nothing with. Though they did also get rid of the deadest of weight they possibly could.

18. AXG

AXG Member

$7-9 million per year sounds fair for Scola. Anything more than that, I say do a sign n' trade.

19. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

He got 7 stitches by his eye and was expected to sit out against the Clippers. He ended starting that game, when most players would sit out longer.

Scola tough like bull.

20. Chamillionaire

if the nets sign him for significantly more than what we would pay for him, you have to let him go.

as much as i don`t want to lose him, i`d hate to overpay, especially when paying for an injury prone franchise player.