1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN: Neel/Olney] Lidge closing / Purpura shy in deal-making

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by kaleidosky, Jun 19, 2007.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Am I crazy or was this not yet posted? Unusual since I read it hours ago..

I hate that this will fuel the fire on Purpura.. but still interesting to hear that he's viewed as gunshy by his peers

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2908913

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

TP gunshy? I've never seen that...PS vis a vis JJ? I wish he had been gunshy THEN!

3. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

lidge is even more valuable now since he was at the top lost it all then regained it.
    i never wanted to trade lidge even when he sucked. qualls would be easiest to replace if astros are going to move a good arm in the bullpen. (im thinking Nieve next year when he returns from Tommy John surgery)

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

10/05 - 6/07: "Lidge sucks"
    6/07 - mid-June: "Wheeler sucks"
    6/19/07: "Qualls sucks"

And around, and around, and around we go...

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Paul Estrada has a pretty live arm at AAA... but he's just as prone to flare-ups as anybody else in the bullpen right now.

6. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

naw lol i was thinking ok they all had their major blowup of the year and recovered Qualls will do the same.

give me Estrada over White.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Estrada is 25... isn't going anywhere any time soon. White was pretty darn good to start the year, but since Lidge has been moved back to closer, his role is pretty much limited to mop-up duty/long releif (when he isn't on the DL... which he has been already twice this year).

Estrada is being groomed as a future setup/closer type. He's got a decent fastball, and an above average curveball. If he had anything more, I'd be wondering why he isn't starting. As it is, if he's not going to replace any of the big 3, why should he be up here?

But, had he been up here, and faltered (as White has), people would be all over the organization (and Tim) wondering why we can't get established/proven veterans on the roster.

8. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

curse of the pujols

9. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

TP makes plenty of trades... all ****ty though.

10. kaleidosky

Am I the only one who doesn't know wtf that means?

11. Poloshirtbandit

me neither.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Translated: when he traded for Jason Jennings.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Right... because this team would have plenty of great pitching with Jason Hirsh instead of Jennings...

And Willy T in the outfield provides the missing link that Pence-Scott-Lee can't provide.

#13 Nick, Jun 19, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  14. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

15. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

eh it was only a matter of time for a journeyman to suck. why shouldn't Estrada be up here? anything to help take the load off the big 3.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Do you really think the problems with the big 3 are based on being overworked?

If anything, Wheeler may have lost a bit of command because of the infrequency of work once he became a closer. Qualls hasn't been overworked any more than he had been in the past.

Like Berkman... the bullpen guys are simply underperforming. Estrada wouldn't be getting much more work here than Mohler, Bork, or White get... which isn't much. Might as well have him hone his skills on a more regular basis at Round Rock.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I remain steadfast that a better deal and/or usage of those pieces was possible, or IN THE VERY LEAST that the deal should NOT have been consummated without an extension from Jennings.

This squad has a bunch of nice ballplayers almost invariably underperforming. Two years ago they rose like phoenix and that has been the apparent subseqauent mantra.

Yes, this squad needs a shake up. This cockamamie division remains, dare I say, take-able by some team. Why not this team?

(Is Purpura the Kupchak of MLB?)

18. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Are you high? Willy's OBP is .366 (which is average for a top of the order guy) and he is bating .318. He would be a great addition to the lineup.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Who does he replace... right now. Luke Scott has been serviceable as a 6 hitter with a .800 OPS.

Also, if you asked me to bet whether Willy T is going to maintain that .386 OBP (which is an extreme outlier compared to the last two years), I'm betting against it.

20. kaleidosky

no doubt betting against it. And don't forget that replacing Scott with Taveras would make us even more right-handed again, which is something a lot of people have complained about in the past.