1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN NBA Female Analyst Doris Burke Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by macalu, May 8, 2008.

1. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

wow I cant believe anybody thinks she is good. I think she sucks so bad, I usually mute the games she is doing commentary on. I never thought it would be possible to hate another commentator more than Bill Walton.

2. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

She pronounces "s" like "sh". Freddie Prinz, Jr., does it, too. What's the linguistic explanation for this? Is it an Irish thing? Prinz isn't Irish, is he?

3. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

The worst thing about espn is when they talk about some general interest topic - Karl Malone raising pigs or volunteering at an orphanage for teenage girls or something, and they totally ignore the flagrant foul being committed at the time and never go back to it, never say anything! And I am screaming at the tube "when are you fools going to tell me what happened!"

4. McYao

McYao Member

Honestly at first I was hating on her but i think it was just being biased on my part.. She really does know her ****... If ppl can't see that then they don't know b-ball...Give props where it's due...

5. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

When my wife first heard her calling a Rockets game, she scrunched up her nose and asked "Who the hell is this @#$% announcing?" In all seriousness, though, I think her problem is that her delivery is way too dry and has this condescending manner, as if she's the only announcer in sports who knows whatever fact it is that she just recited.

6. Champ Caliber

Champ Caliber Member

I think she's good. Not exciting or funny, but she knows her stuff. Kinda like the female version of a poor man's Hubie Brown.

7. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

she sux ....always giving praise like she is lucky to have that job.

8. Dave McNulla

Dave McNulla Member

my son kept saying that she sounded like she had never seen an nba game before.

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

She's pathetic and detracts in a big way from whatever broadcast she does.

10. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

whatever you think of her actual announcing, i don't see how people can say she doesn't know what she's talking about. it seems clear she knows a good deal about the players and their games.

and while it's just weird having a woman calling games, she does a solid job. no great personality or excitement, but nothing bad. the poor woman's hubie brown was a pretty good (and funny) description.

11. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

a bunch of blind haters in this thread. at first i didnt like having a woman in the booth, but after listening to doris she's one of the best commenters in the NBA. she's suprisingly VERY informative and very engaging. loved watching spurs and hornets because of her.

12. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I like her and agree with the people who are giving her props. She just takes a minute to get used to.

EDIT: Maybe you guys are just mad that SHE knows more about the NBA and basketball than you do.

#32 JumpMan, May 10, 2008
    Last edited: May 10, 2008
  13. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

What?

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=147661

hmm...

14. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I hate her boring voice.

And she also tends to say things that are beyond obvious, things someone who has never watched a NBA game can infer for themselves. (guys, you can't leave Kobe Bryant open! I marvel at those who piss off Pierce, Kobe and Lebron, they're so good they'll score on you for doing it!)

...Also, 30% of the job of a color commentator is to make you laugh...at which she totally fails.

Other then that though, it's all good :/

15. sook

sook Rookie

TRU DAT

16. pli777

pli777 Member

I hate the fact that I purposfully skipped so many games because she commentated.

Go away.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

She's familiar with coaches/players and their tendencies, and she does a solid job of getting that information across during the broadcast in the flow of the game. That's the number one thing I look for from a commentator, and she's very good at that part. I never understood people getting pissed off about someone's voice, it's not like she speaks in a monotone. And other than maybe Van Gundy and Jon Barry, no commentator makes me laugh.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I can't stand her. What is her qualification for NBA color commentary? She's never played in the league, never coached in the league... never done anything in the league. Anyone can do play by play but the color person has to have some experience in the league they're commenting about.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I have no problem with her.

20. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

These sum it up. She reminds me of Joe Theisman and Dan Dierdorf on Sunday Night Football, who I hated immensely. We know these guys are great players, blah, blah, blah. That's why they're in the NBA. Now talk about what's happening on the court and call people out when they're sucking. There's just too many broad, positive generalizations of players instead of actual game time analysis.

BTW, at first I swore that her and the pbp commentator she's usually teamed up w/ were Tafoya and Tirico. You can't tell me her voice isn't nearly a dead ringer for Michelle Tafoya.