1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(ESPN) My plan for the Houston Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rmoreno, Mar 7, 2013.

1. rmoreno

rmoreno Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/47872/my-plan-for-the-houston-texans

Lock if already posted..

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So we can just snap our fingers and save a bazillion dollars like that? Really?

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Not sure what you're getting at. The first thing he does is free up $14-$15 million in cap room.

Pretty much every thing he said about keeping Quin, letting go of Barwin and Cody, focusing on WR and ILB in the early rounds, is right in line with what most fans have been saying.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah... just snap some fingers and all of a sudden Andre Johnson's cap hit is peanuts.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I think the point is that it's not necessarily the smart thing to just reduce AJ and JJo's contracts like that...by doing that, you could be putting yourself into hell in future years. If it was that easy to reduce massive contracts to 6 figure cap hits, then every team would do that every year. It's not only difficult to do, but could be devastating a couple years down the line.

Releasing KW and restructuring Antonio is probably the most reasonable of all the scenarios.

6. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I didn't see anything about firing Joe Marciano...

7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Marciano has to be freaking fired. That should be first priority. What is McNair thinking?!?

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Good plan?

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Teams actually DO exactly that every year.

It works like this:

You sign a contract that has bonus money and a base salary.

Normally in the years after the third year there is no bonus money left (already paid up front) but there is a high base salary. Teams can renegotiate the remaining years to to give you bonus money up front instead of base salary. It's good for the player because they get the money up front (money now higher value than equal money later) and it's good for the team because it reduces the cap hit.

Here's the downside and why a team like the Texans might be reluctant to do it with Antonio or Andre. Converting base salary to bonus guarantees that money and spreads the cap hit out. What if you want to cut Antonio next year? The way it is now, with a high base salary, he can be cut and you don't owe him the money and it frees up the cap. When you convert it to bonus money you are guaranteeing X dollars to be on your cap for Y years.

1 person likes this.
  10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

restructuring of contracts is nothing new, but to the extend and ease of which the article refers is not very realistic.

I agree Smith needs to be restructured and walter released. Manning and joseph probably need to be reconstructed and extended but that's more likely a move for next year...as is a restructuring of AJ.

Watt is coming.

11. Cannonball

You know this isn't happening, right?

12. Marteen

Marteen Member

[​IMG]

We always assume what position they will draft in the 1st round, but it always ends up being something else. But honestly, he should have added that the team needs OT help. Derek Newton and Ben Jones got killed at times especially Ben when he had to face Vince Wilfork. They have to address that somehow.

13. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

I'm just shocked still to read something from an ESPN writer that sounds like he actually watches/knows something going on with the Texans.

14. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

We fire Marciano and he goes on to have the leagues best special team and wins a SB.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yep, he's going to be the highest paid defensive player even in the NFL.

16. Cannonball

And unlike Mario, he'll actually deserve it.

17. Raven

Raven Member

100+ million for sure, and the Texans better not F it up.