1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] MLB suspends spring training, delays Opening Day at least two weeks

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RKREBORN, Mar 12, 2020.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I bet that money situation can be settled. The players are going to want full salaries as long as they can, but if it comes down to a pro rated salary or 3-4% of it with no games, a majority will take that pro rate. It's a bit more than what most of us on here would get in a pro rate.

Testing ability is going to be the key. If they can do quick/often testing, they will figure out a plan that will work.

2. The Beard

That's a huge amount of money, even in a sport like baseball. and with no games at all (even in Florida/Arizona) a majority of the other 58% of their income would be gone too

Regardless of what happens baseball is going to take a HUGE financial hit....but if no games are played at all, it will put some teams in a financial hole they won't come out of for a long time

Not to mention what could happen in the CBA negotiations

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Since there is likely no fans to be allowed to any games for this season... can presume that every team will see at least a 40% decrease in revenue.

Not sure why this post decided to make it Astros-centric... and why its still listed as merely a "possibility".

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Historically, money situations have been dictated by the players/leaders who can likely afford to wait it out. Not sure if there is a clause in the CBA, like there is in the NBA, where owners can legitimately not pay full salaries. I'm sure they'll figure it out, but the players union has all the clout in this manner... and pretty much the conversations regarding the Arizona plan ended immediately when the money situation was not clearly hashed out.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All leagues are impacted by this... not just baseball. The NBA will likely file for bankruptcy if there are no games the rest of this season and fans won't be going in till after a vaccine comes out.

But with networks getting very good ratings for a lot of these classic replays right now (ESPN especially), they've actually got a fall-back option that will likely keep their ad revenue rates near normal.

And as long as sports networks can afford to pay for the rights fees, the leagues will eventually bounce back.

6. The Beard

There must be some kind of clause in there cause the two sides have already agreed on a 3-4% payment according to several sources I’ve read

also, I think it’s hard to put too much emphasis on how things have been handled historically, something like this has never happened before

7. The Beard

what is your source on no fans till a vaccine?

I ask cause there is no guarantee of ever having one, and most likely if we do it would be at least mid 2021 at the earliest. So you really think there will be no fans at Mlb 2020, no fans at Nfl 2020, no fans at nba 20-21, no fans for at least half of Mlb 2021?

I do not

And more importantly to your thought, if we never get a vaccine do you really think we will never have fans at sporting events again?

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly why you have to rely on precedence if there are disagreements.

we shall see if these plans get anywhere. Everything still very abstract. They have not come to an agreement of how much salary the players are entitled to if games start up again.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Where is your link that there will never be a vaccine? Not only likely to have vaccine options but also viable treatments for symptoms that are more proven.

The possibility of no fans till a vaccine available has been discussed a lot over the last month, and ramped up last week. Recent polls also stated most fans would be unwilling to attend a game without a vaccine which is what prompted the NBA bankruptcy projection.

sports leagues still have revenue generating capabilities if they can get games on tv.

10. The Beard

Read buddy, I never said there will never be one, I said there is no guarantee there WILL be one. There isn't one for the common cold, there isn't one for the flu. I hope we do get one and I know scientists are trying their hardest...but there is no guarntee

So, IF we do not, do you really think we will never have fans attend games again?

On the last point, there is no doubt attendance will be down. Heck even if we do get a vaccine there will be some who won't go to a crowded place for a long time

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The plan has always been to get a similar vaccine that is available on an annual basis for the flu. Its not perfect, as people still get the flu, but it does cut down a significant portion of symptomatic cases on a yearly basis. It would likely have to be updated year to year, like the flu vaccine is. The reason why the common cold doesn't require a yearly injection is that symptoms usually mild and there are ever-evolving strains that don't make the cost-effectiveness worth it.

Fans will attend games again.. just like people will go to church again, schools will convene large classes again, and people will fly on crowded airplanes again.

There will certainly be more sanitizing measures in place at all public venues going forward. And possibly less direct contact interactions (no random high-giving of the person sitting in front/behind you... although that was always a "fun" aspect of being at a sporting event).

12. The Beard

Ima have to learn to give my self a high five then

Flu vaccine is usually about 30-40% effective, that's the reason I don't take it. If it was anywhere close to even 60-70% effective i'd probably give it a shot (literally)

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I miss me some baseball...Was supposed to be in Nashville opening weekend but at the game Sunday..Then supposed to be in Arlington last weekend for the astros game and Cancun this weekend...ugh...

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It varies from year to year. I also presume you’ve never had the flu... because if you have there is absolutely zero reason not to take it.

I’m sure others will have a similar response when the covid vaccine comes out...

Newlin likes this.
  15. The Beard

Got it this year for the first time I can remember

Won't take the "vaccine" next year either. As I said, if it gets to where it's legitimately effective i'd certainly take it

Covid vaccine, if one is found, hopefully will be much more effective

16. The Beard

PGA just announced they will return on June 11th, without fans

robbie380 likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

It is legitimately more effective than not getting it.... The flu mutates a lot so the science has caught up. Who knows with the Covid vaccine.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Seems very reasonable

19. Buck Turgidson

Yep, golf is a, uh, different ballgame than team sports.

How are they handling travel and lodging?

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You test the caddy... you test the golfer... you supply an abundance of sterilized balls.

Not much more to it. Golf could conceivably happen now without spectators. hell, that’s how the majority of the country plays golf as is.