1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: "McHale has tough job balancing wins and DH's health"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROXTXIA, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I was thinking the same thing, but a couple of things struck me recently:

- The Rockets seem to like the option of occasionally putting a full blown SF at PF for serious minutes. This was surprising to me, but then..
    - Other teams in the league seem to be adopting that approach this season too, so it may be a trend among the smarter teams like us.

So if we assumed Ariza was a 4th PF (Brewer/McDaniels/Thornton providing depth at the 3) and you've drafted Harrell + Dekker, I think they actually decided that they'd roll the dice with this group and tolerate some ups and downs at the beginning of the season. At the moment, we have won two straight with Ariza at PF so it's panning out decently, even without Jones to provide some depth.

Jones comes back soon, and D-Mo a couple of weeks later and this problem disappears. Would be strange to have signed anyone else at such a crowded position where D-Mo has excelled and we have 3-4 different backup options.

1 person likes this.
  2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Nice post, but even if they planned it this way (which I doubt), KJM still hasn't seen the court, and probably won't, while they've been content to just 'get by' at the 4 spot for several years, unless you count Josh Smith falling into their laps. It's frustrating when the rhetoric has been that they're trying to "win now" but their actions indicate otherwise. Going small full time gives them the best chance right now, I have no doubt about that. But they also have no other choice.