1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Marc Stein: Rockets long known to be Josh Smith fans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 19, 2013.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

One of the benefits of trading for Smith or Millsap right now instead of signing them in the offseason is that we might be able to unload most of the logjam at the power forward position with a trade. What's the trade value for a player like Marcus Morris or Patrick Patterson if they aren't going to get more than 15 mpg playing back up to Smith or Millsap?

While I do like Smith, I hardly think he's a max player. Of course he's going to go out and proclaim that he's a max player because, hey, why go out and lowball yourself? There's going to be a middle ground where a deal can be reached in my opinion.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It feels great to be spectators from afar during the trade deadline instead of begging and wishing fr Morey to make a deal like the last 3 seasons.

We have a star and we don't have to be a team or player's leverage at the deadline.

3. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

Thanks repped

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Definitely.

We are finally out of desperation mode and into feast on prey mode.

I'm pretty sure Morey wouldn't do anything that would critically hinder our salary cap space unless he knows it would absolutely make it worth while in the long run. If not we stand pat.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He actually is in Dwight's league. But then again so is Cole Aldrich, that league being the National Basketball Assiciation.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

[​IMG]

7. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

well done lol

8. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i rather have millsap if only one of them can be with us. we need clearly a better low post threat when other teams play stinggy defense.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Haha well you just listed pretty much anybody the Hawks would be interested for Josh Smith...

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

I think the Rocket's interest in Smith is a misdirect to keep our eyes away from whats really going on.

He just doesnt fit this team. He doesnt have a high basketball IQ or shooting range. He's already been the 2nd or 3rd best player on a team, and that team didnt get past the 2nd round. He's a terrible fit next to Asik on offense because both are only effective in the paint.

I really think Morey is using him a leverage to get to someone else....the question is who.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The forgotten, unmentioned, ignored (or possibly stupid?) notion that a trade with Utah or PHX, for example, could effect your scenario 'on the cheap' with cap room unaffected, if needed, is that the trading partner could receive a large TE.

For example, twinning Morris + Smith's great value contract for Gortat (who would seemingly be very dealable, if necessary, next summer) or similar type package for Millsap (or Jeff, long believed to be a McHale-guy) seems withing wheelhouse for needs and wants.

12. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I can tell you this...morey came this far... he will do nothing that will jeopardize signing howard in the off season ... if lakers trade him they will look into that I am sure.

but any trades made will only be done if helps or does not hinder attempts to get howard.

I dont think we get smith because teams like bucks will offer monta even though they wont get to resign josh......dumb franchises do dumb things.

Morey will offer patterson and morris maybe....maybe a 2nd rounder and thats it.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I agree. In particular because even without landing Howard in the offseason, there is no rush at the moment to do something, and preserving cap space is good for multiple reasons.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Max deals are a bargain for the teams with true max players, as you have indicated, LBJ recently stated, and most know.

And I am drinking your cool Kool-Aid here, young feller.

Speaking of 'cool', is Cubesville still viewed as a cool destination? :confused:

15. Cazuquel

Cazuquel Member

Houston be being built around Lin and Harden.
    Lin will not be traded in their 3 year contract.

16. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Getting their Boogie on?

18. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Don't quite understand the desire to sign J Smith and D12 with the year Asik is having and Iguodala who'd I'd rather have than Smith on the free agent market plus Aldridge available via trade. And then the excellent 2014 free agents too pick from. Rockets should be more selective, should give more time too make a better decision on what they need and should not cash in their chips.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

20. REEKO_HTOWN

the 6ers got burned so bad by Bynum I'm conviced they are done trading for players this season.