1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN]Marbury says he'll play in Italy when Knicks deal expires

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TracyMcCrazyeye, Jul 18, 2007.

1. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Code:
    Joke: (WHOOSH!)
          =====>
            O
    You:   >-<
            |
           / \

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm actually starting to like Stephon Marbury.

3. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

4. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

on the next episode of Stephon Marbury's Stupid Ideas....

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

then he will be the best pg in italy...who takes his best pg in the nba throne when he is gone?

6. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

haha and this is my ;ppppppppppppp to all of you who said there were no alternatives to the NBA.

7. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Right...hardly anyone will even notice who he is walking around in Europe, which he might enjoy.

Why are people hating on him though? If I could afford to just up and move to live in Italy, I'd to it in a heart beat.

8. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

He didn't compare himself to Beckham in that kind of way...I think he just meant that it would be similar to Beckham in that he moved from a top soccer league to play in the states and Marbury is going to move from the top basketball league to play in italy

9. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I like Marbury. He's got a high opinion of himself, and I'm not wild about his game, but he seems like a good guy. His low-priced shoe is a noble idea, and I remember how choked up he got during that Katrina press conference. He seems to have a lot of genuine empathy towards his fellow man, which I can respect.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

He's a true saint, a great hoopster. Rem inds me of how ol' JD Rock dealt with his PR issues.

BTW - if Starbury and his community shoes were a UFA right now would he be able to command a max deal, as in max MLE? I suspect N-O-T.

11. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

I'll believe it when I see it...I just visited Italy and experienced some of the culture over there. Sure it might be a great place to tour and stay for a little while but I really don't believe that he'll willingly make a long term lifestyle change when his contract his up. I think he's talking out of his ass to get some publicity right now.

12. Precision340

Precision340 Member

I think he meant 2-3 boards?

13. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Pretty early for him to go public with this, he should have waited a year and a half before going public.. Saying that doesn't marbury have liek 20m dollar shoes or somthing?? He isn't the smartest guy out there but he just does the things makes him happy, living life. Even though Ive never been impressed with his game

14. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

lol...I'm starting to like Stephon...is he really that stupid? He's approaching Jessica Simpson territory.

15. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Euro, it is the Euro. Dollar is dropping like a stone and hence NBA salaries are become less and less attractive. Vspan went back. Bucks' Ersan Ilyasova chose to go back to Europe too. Wang Zhizhi are getting inquires from both NBA teams and a top Europe club, he is considering the Europe team rather than NBA.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Regardless of currency fluctuations - European income taxes and cost of living are substantially higher so.... no. I highly doubt that Marbury's decision is based on exchange rates. As for Wang he's tried the NBA a few times and not been successful, I don't blame him for looking elsewhere.

17. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

The cost of living is actually taken care of by the team. I played basketball with the sons of a former NBA player who went to Italy, and they normally provide you with a first class villa. It's not that different to American oil companies providing free housing for its employees who are willing to live in the Middle East.

While the language may be a barrier, I'd be intrigued by the idea if I were in his situation. The money wouldn't be significantly less than the offers he'd garner at that age, and the Champions League format with the Euroleague is an exciting and unique opportunity as an addition to the domestic competition; not to mention- sadly- the better atmosphere at games.

Here's something I've often contemplated about premier American players making such a switch: let's say you're a can't miss player coming out of high school (Lebron/Oden)-with the new one year rule in mind- why not spend that year in Europe? The chances of injury are no greater, and you pick up a few million in the process. The only downside I could see is the possibility of hurting your stock because of the different style of play and superior competition.

I'd love to see this transpire if we ever see another Oden or Lebron come along in the next decade.

18. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

"I was like Beckham in America" - Starbury ;)

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Marbury has done a ton for his community.. done a ton for his family.. he didn't do a ton for his career the way he left KG. But I wouldn't slam the guy..

20. Dark_Tower

Dark_Tower Contributing Member

The idea of high-schoolers/prep stars going to Europe vice the NBA has been a topic of discussion, and one worth having. Truehoop had a good discussion on this the other day.

There are a couple of reasons why you haven't seen folks like O.J. Mayo or other major high school phenoms go to Europe. The first reason is that for 99% of these guys, the NBA has been a life's dream - and it is considered as the only true form of success. Going to Europe is perceived as being a "failure", or not good enough for the NBA. That's why for many people coming out of school, Europe is the second, lesser preferred option.

In addition, the European game, in particular the Euroleague game, has dramatically increased in quality. Most observers place the Euroleauge as tier-2 basketball, right behind the NBA and definitely above college programs. The distinct possibility exists that a top prep prospect would go to Europe with the intention of heading back to the NBA, but either a) not get playing time, or b) getting exposed as a non-NBA level talent. Going to college would allow major prep stars a better chance for positive exposure - weaknesses in their games would not be as ruthlessly spotlighted and exploited as in a high-level European league.