1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Mag] Ariza Feature

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ElDobleK, Sep 10, 2009.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It’s one thing to put a link to a story where the source of the story can profit off their work, but it’s another to outright steal it. I’m tired of people in this forum constantly pirating others’ work to the point of posting an entire article. As a “former” journalist who does ethics checks, maybe you should go back to journalism school and take an ethics class, if you ever went in the first place.

Post a segment, post a link, but don’t take an entire story, it’s not fair to the hard working journalists who put their hearts into producing quality content for mere pennies. I produce page after page of copy a week for a living and if someone did that to me I’d ask them to take it down at the very least.

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I'm not a journalism graduate or expert but whats the difference between a “former” journalist and a former journalist?

And first you said you were a journalist and now you're just a “former” journalist.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Can you elaborate? What exactly is unfair, in this case? Is the writer being denied money he otherwise would get? Who is this negatively affecting?

I'm not challenging on you this, btw, just curious what you think impact would be.

4. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Technically by posting the entire article, people are less inclined to buy the latest copy of the magazine, of which the writer would receive residuals I'm assuming. Magazines make money on copies sold and advertisements, not the cover price (in most cases). But realistically when you consider the age of the Internet and an avid fan base, you can't expect too much. No one gets into journalism for the money.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The Journalist gets no extra money in this scenario. All it does is spread his writing to a wider audience. That would be exactly what I would want if I was a journalist, particularly if I was making pennies. Maximizing your exposure is what makes you popular and makes you in demand. He did not "steal" this from the journalist. I bet even ESPN wouldn't care about added promo for their magazine.

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

Thank you OP for taking the time to type out this article. If I could rep you up I would.

7. durvasa

If I read that article, and I really like it, that will make me more inclined to checkout ESPN's content.

Is the journalist interested more in how many copies are sold, or how many readers read his articles? Which is more beneficial?

8. clos4life

clos4life Member

Bingo. I don't know if ESPN would care but I know as a journalist I would be ecstatic to have my work spread around. I already got my paycheck, it can only raise my profile.

Now, ESPN can be upset but don't think the journalist is.

9. Honey Bear

Considering most news publications (such as the Chron) and editorials are electronized, there must be some reason (advertisements) ESPN chooses to have articles exclusively for the print version of their magazine, and not available for free on the internet.

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/espnmag

10. Honey Bear

http://search.espn.go.com/sam-alipour/

He isn't a contract writer, he's an ESPN employee. What hurts ESPN hurts Alipour, is what I'm assuming. He just spoke with Morey a couple weeks back about Yao's injury, it's his job with ESPN that gives him all these opportunities and exposure.

11. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

Exactly. ESPN wants ad revenue, so they have print-only content. You have to buy a subscription to read it, and they get more money from advertisers.

And though I've never written for a magazine, I know that journalists don't make "residuals," nor are their paydays dependent on issue sales. It's not like broadcast TV. If he's a staff writer, he's salaried, so he's already paid. If he's a freelancer, he gets paid per word or sometimes a flat fee per article.

If I really thought I was depriving the man of a payday, I wouldn't have done it. Copyright law aside, I legitimately think no one is hurt in this situation.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i think he was referring to kkolish as being the former journalist.....or is it "former journalist".....i'm not sure :D

but in any case, the last thing we need in the GARM is this 23 year old kid's incessant tantrum regurgitation interpretation of what he learned in journalism 101 or 501 or whatever 18 months ago. kid needs to unwad his pannies and move all this yapyap to the Hangout!

13. LoneStarDawg

LoneStarDawg Member

Just curious... How would public libraries fit into this equation? Because they have subscriptions to most major magazines and all you have to do is go to the local library to read the article. It would seem that the Internet would be the 21st century analog of going to the library. Perhaps the publications have deals with the libraries? I'm not well versed in the details of it and found the issue intriguing.

14. yuisakata

yuisakata Member

Don't journalists write stuff for people to read?
    With all the guys here loving and appreciating his work, if he's really really really pissed off still, he's no real journalist at heart.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So there is nothing wrong with depriving ESPN of potential revenue or violating its rights under copyright law?

I know "ESPN" is a "corporation," but its employees and investor are actual people with actual economic stakes in ESPN's revenue, although indirectly. Think about how many newspapers have been making cuts due to lack of revenue (take Houston Chronicle cutting Fran Blinbury, for example). I doubt the one article is making or breaking ESPN or depriving anyone specific of a job, but these things add up.

By the way, I don't know if having the article available here is good or bad for ESPN economically, but with all due respect, it's not your call to make. The intellectual property laws gives ESPN the power to make that call.

16. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

Don't listen to what anyone is saying. You did a great thing by typing that up. I'll send the author a fruit basket as a token of my appreciation.

1 person likes this.
  17. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

What's wrong with you?

1 person likes this.
  18. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I don't think this would qualify as some type of stat that is not publicly available. It would take a lot of time, effort, and painstaking work, but this is something that an average person could calculate.

This helps answer my question a little even though we can't do anything more than speculate. If something like this does exist, it would be beneficial for the Rockets depending on the independent and dependent variables they use in their evaluation of course.

Thanks for the reply. I figured they had something like this, but I thought/was hoping you had some specific inside information you could share with us to gives us a tiny window into their quantitative approach towards the defensive end of the floor. I'm genuinely interested in this for reasons you, me, and others have already mentioned.

Now that is a quantitative model I really wanna see! :)

19. durvasa

I'm not an insider. I have as much access to what the Rockets are doing as you do.

20. ebu

ebu Member

woww dudee i think your the one who needs a life.

He in no way stated that its his article and said what magazine its from.

He did us a favor by typing it up...stop being big headed