1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Mag] Ariza Feature

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ElDobleK, Sep 10, 2009.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah. I'm glad other teams think he's a jerk because you can almost guarantee it's because he gives them fits with his play not his mouth.

2. thino

thino Contributing Member

great article. former lakers teamates still have good things to say about ariza. :cool:

3. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

No way ever! Ariza becomes a star. He is a role player at most.

Whats all the hype on him?

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The Rockets have a gigantic database where they record virtually everything that happens in a game. That gives them a big advantage in evaluating defensive ability over other teams, because that's the end of the floor where standard measures do the worst job.

Ask yourself what you think would be relevant information to assess how good a defender a player is. The Rockets probably have it. E.g. various aspects of pick-and-roll defense, post defense, close outs, rebounding zones, how one forces turnovers, preventing drive bys, getting back in transition, and more.

5. HPD

HPD Member

hope he's not another Shandon Anderson

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Luis is a flopper, a cool dude flopper and a nice team mate,

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Of course. His basketball skills and how he impacts the opposition on the court with same are a side line.

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

that doesn't make it properly attributed... you can't steal someone's entire work! B.S.

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Report him if you want. Most of the rest of us don't really give a damn and appreciate OP for typing it out for us.

10. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

"I thought Luis was a jerk"

lol... best line of the article!

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Scola does play pretty annoying for opposing D sometimes

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

That's not stealing the work anymore than anyone who posts articles anywhere on the forum are stealing.

That said, doesn't Clutch have a rule about posting entire articles?

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I'm sure, you don't have to pay for it now.

The dude needs to get a life if he's typing other people's work.

14. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

you need to get a life if all you're going to do is hate on this guy. you made your point like 5 posts ago man. you don't like this thread, get out. you're not obligated to "be here."

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i concur :D

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The OP didn't something nice for everyone, and it isn't like I couldn't go to Books-A-Million and read the article for free and put it back on the shelf. I used to subscribe to ESPN and I didn't care for it. Sporting News was so much better.

17. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

I apologize if my attributed reproduction of this article offended you. As a former journalist, I too made an ethics check and concluded that, IMO, an attributed reproduction of this article would only be objectionable to ESPN's publishers, if anyone at all. At no time did I attempt to pass any of this off as my own work, and I sincerely hope that no one got that impression.

There's no need to attack me personally. I have a life, and I simply wanted to do something nice for the members of the board who weren't subscribers and didn't feel like going to the store for a copy themselves.

If my actions were indeed against board rules, then I hope an admin locks/deletes this thread immediately.

18. optAmystik

optAmystik Member

kkolish, thank you for sharing this wonderful story w/us. Taking time out to type and post this has enriched my life. I am looking more forward to this season. I won't be upset if we miss the playoffs because there is so much upside with the development/integration of Trevor to our team.

I've said it before that to really be an admired & loved Houston sports figure, you have to be a good person, accessible in that down-home-Houston-way, if you will. Trevor has that in spades, as this article illustrates. And to imagine that his offensive production will likely be on the upswing is exciting.

As to the Scola comment, I think part of being on Kobe's team (and Phil's) is perceiving everyone else as a jerk. You can see it on their faces. They end up being the jerks. It will be interesting to see HOU & LAL go at it from now on.

19. Nero

Nero Member

Ever hee name of D Morey? The dude has statistics showing how many times you blinked while you read this sentence! Of course he has a million stats and relevant analyses regarding defensive players' impacts in games.

20. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

lol, this has to be one of the most awesome comebacks in clutchfans history.