1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Mag] Ariza Feature

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ElDobleK, Sep 10, 2009.

1. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

Thanks for typing the whole thing up.

That was one, if not the best, article of this long off-season. I have loved Ariza's game since I saw him play against our high school in Westchester. I couldn't believe the Knicks got him so low and we stupid enough to trade him.

Now I am just glad he is a Houston Rocket. Hopefully Shane can be a good mentor to him and help him further develop his defensive skills. Definitely looking forward to seeing him in a Rockets jersey next year, even if it is on my laptop! Damn NBA keeping the Rockets off national tv! :mad:

2. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

I can't wait til Ariza gets in Houston and starts working out with the team. I'm suprise I didn't hear anything when he was looking for his crib.

3. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

Thanks for sharing this article!

4. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

Enjoy. I wouldn't type up the whole thing unless I thought it was something every Rockets fan needed to read.

But anyways... Goose? Is that what we're expected to call Ariza? Brings back flashbacks from Top Gun.

"GOOOOOOOOOOSE!"

5. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Great read. Thanks for sharing.
    Ariza for Most Improved Player. :p

6. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

I think Ariza gets it too, as evidenced by this quote...

"My whole career, all I've wanted to feel is wanted, and I have that now," he says. "It sounds crazy, but the Rockets swept me off my feet. I'm telling you, I've never felt so comfortable in my life."

Ariza plays the type of game that will fit nicely with Landry, Scola and Battier.
    And he adds what we've been needing... length.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

My feeling is the Rockets know what they're doing when it comes down to evaluating defensive impact of players. It's something that most of us have a hard time with, because there aren't any good measures for it publicly available. But the Rockets have a wealth of information to base their defensive evaluations on -- you can be sure they're not simply looking at +/- or superfically tabulating rebs/blks/stls. So, if Morey is being sincere when he says Ariza is at the top defensively for his position, I'm excited about that. But how well you perform defensively can also be a product of the system you play in. The Lakers put heavy emphasis on zoning up on the strong side and forcing turnovers with aggressive traps. That plays to Ariza's strengths. Do the Rockets try similar things this year?

8. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

What the hell?! I was taken aback after reading that.

and yeah. thanks a lot for posting this kkosh. great article

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That kind of bon boyage can bring a smile to anyone's face. Ariza, though, has been smiling since July 2, when he listened to this voice mail: "Hey Trevor, this is Luis Scola. I would really like for you to be my teammate." At the time, he couldn't believe his ears. "I thought Luis was a jerk," he says of the Rockets' feisty big man. "Just because of the way he plays. But he's a real cool dude." Within hours, Ariza had heard from seven other cool dudes, some by texy, like this one from an unknown number: "You beat us and won the championship. Now you can help me get one. -Shane."

That's a great line about Scola. He thought Luis was a jerk because of the way he plays? Hilarious! I'm glad to hear it. I always thought Scola got under the skin of the opposition. He never lets up, never takes a play off, and he's freakin' crafty. "But he's really a cool dude." :D

Looks like the players did a great job selling the Rockets! Thanks, OP. Kudos!

10. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Ha ha, Scola must have got under the skin of a lot of NBA players these days.

He is such an asset to Rockets.

11. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Trevor must've been lurking in the GARM. :D

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Didn't Scola get into it a bit with Odom or Walton during the series? I'm sure a lot of these guys think people on the other team are jerks while in the middle of a rather heated 7 game series.

13. Cluch City

Cluch City Member

thnx for puting in the work..

14. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Well written article and if i knew how to rep you, I would.

Thanks.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Welcome to the internet dachuda86.

Did you enjoy the article too?

16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Thank you kkolish for spending the time on typing up the article . Good read,
    I'm looking forward to seeing what Ariza can bring to the team. TA seems to be a player that will continue to work hard to improve his game. Welcome to Houston Trevor

17. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

Yeah that is true. but Scola never trashed talked during the entire confrontation if my memory serves right. . Unlike KG who trash talks all the time

i think Luis just played tough . wondering why such players are considered as "jerks"

maybe Ariza thinks Scola is a flopper .. and floppers are jerks :) ..

18. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

haha. maybe. but I don't think you can develop handles in a single off season.. good that he is trying though.

19. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

What do you think they're basing their information on then? Also, do you have any idea on what these private measures that are ostensibly in use to evaluate the defensive impact of players are or are you just saying that they exist?

20. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I think a announcers during the playoffs said that one of the things Battier did when we played with Lakers was that the Rockets had statistic on how Lakers as a team perform when Kobe gets the ball at individual areas of the floor, and Shane actually worked at keeping Kobe from receiving the ball from certain areas based on that information.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some metric evaluating how a defensive player disrupts an offensive scheme by being on the floor (does the opposing team ISO more when a certain player is on the floor).