1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN]LeBron James rips Charles Barkley: You're the NBA bad boy, not me

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheresTheDagger, Jan 31, 2017.

1. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Players union will never go for franchise tag, NBA Union is way stronger than NFL. President of union right now is Chris Paul and VP is Lebron, don't know about CP but no way Bron signs off on that.

2. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I don't think it will happen, either. I just think it would bring more parity to the game and make it more fun to watch.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

How did LeBron set a precedent? Wilt forced his way to LA in the early 70's, to form a super-team. Moses Malone left us in the 80's to join a team that just lost in the Finals, forming a super-team.

4. Icehouse

The league had tons of parity in the 70's and it was their worst decade ever. The best times have been with star teams. The league has rarely had parity.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I hold him responsible for the Matt Maloney contract

Rocket River

macho GRANDE likes this.
  6. Tha_Dude

Yes, I know that. The NBA is still one of my favorite sports to watch even under the current circumstances and has been for several decades now. But I'm not sure how anyone in their right mind could possibly argue that bringing more parity to the game would be a bad thing. I mean, wouldn't it be nice if there were 6 or 7 teams that all had a better than average chance to win a championship each year vs the same 2 or 3 teams each year?

I think the NBA could improve their product by contracting a couple of teams and then implement franchise player tagging. It would be great for the sport but it will never happen.

RudyTBag likes this.
  7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Also, if you want to see what Lebron did...just go down to our friendly D&D. He got attacked based on basketball reasons...he goes full ad hominem here and doesn't answer to the aforementioned basketball reasons...because he simply can't

Yung-T and el gnomo like this.
  8. BackdoorHarden

Delonte West and Lance Stephenson were part of the try out today.

When asked about Delonted West, Lebron said,

"I don't care if he slept with my momma, I just want to win. I can't let my legacy be ruined by not winning in the Weakass Eastern Conference my entire career"

9. Icehouse

Saying a man is scared to compete is a personal attack, not a basketball reason. Why is everyone glossing over the personal shot Barkley took?

macho GRANDE likes this.
  10. BackdoorHarden

Best time in the NBA was in the 80's when it was just Celtic and Lakers. Magic and Birds and 3 other Hall of Famers on each team.

Best time ever in the NBA when you have dominating teams. Not like the crap in the late 90's and early 2000 when you had to watch teams that couldn't shoot for a lick.

Bring back the SUPERTEAM. Celtic VS LAKERS> BULLS AGAINST THE REST OF THE WORLD> BEST TIME EVER

11. Tha_Dude

Lebron is scared, whiny and a little b****. He's also spoiled. Those are all fair knocks on him, he earned that.

I get that he's your favorite player, and to his credit he's still the most talented dude in the league when it comes down to it. But, he's a narcissistic little brat as well. Take the good with the bad.

To be fair, Kobe shared some of these traits as well. Kobe was lucky enough to get traded to Shaq's Lakers on draft day so the rest is history.

MJ was a whiny little a-hole as well, but he made do with what he had and turned lemons into lemonaide. Lebron wanted lemonaide but didn't know how to do that, so he went to get his lemonaide somewhere else.

12. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

'He's the best player in the world. Does he want all of the good players? He don't want to compete? He is an amazing player. They're the defending champs."'

That doesn't sound like a personal attack. 'He don't want to compete?' is a little different than saying a man is scared to compete.

13. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

A poll would be interesting :)

14. Icehouse

He don't want to compete is the key question. That is challenging his desire to be competitive, and any athlete would take that as a personal attack. If I say 5 nice things about your wife and in the middle, say she is an ugly hog, I have still insulted her personally.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

For the record: (1) I am NOT a LeBron fan and (2) I was a HUGE MJ fan.

Barkley crossed the line when he questioned how competitive LeBron is. Simple as that.

To say MJ turned lemons into lemonade and leave it at that is just ignorant. He was on great teams with great talent and had a great coach.

Lastly, LeBron's response to Barkley was too harsh. Shouldn't have gone all the way down to Barkley's level.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

'He's the best player in the world. Does he want all of the good players? He don't want to compete? He is an amazing player. They're the defending champs."'

So "he don't want to compete?" is apparently this huge personal attack. It was actually a legitimate question made in the context of what he was trying to say in the spirit of competition. that's clear when he actually said in on TNT. Nothing wrong with that at all. He didn't emphasize it as a specific attack and I definitely don't see it as personal when Barkley is acknowledging who Lebron is as player. People trying to slam Barkley are over exaggerating that specific part and trying to spin it that way. Now in Lebron's response, he definitely took it personal where actual basketball wasn't even in play. At least keep it basketball imo. Like I said in a previous post, Barkley could have even gone Lebron's route and took it to that level but as I expected he didn't. Both sides again have their own cases in this instance.

Yung-T and el gnomo like this.
  17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I give Lebron a pass on all his faults after what he did to GSW last year. Steven Curry's face was priceless.

macho GRANDE and Pen15clubber like this.
  18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Barkley didn't make his comments out of nowhere, nor was it a serious insult to Lebron's character. Lebron made public complaints about management and how his team needs another playmaker. Is no one allowed to critique that? Barkley basically said Lebron is the best player in the world and his team already won a championship, aren't they good enough already? He was very flattering to Lebron's talent and the Cavs' accomplishments.

Lebron's recent comments are a bad look for him. What happened to all of the praise he was showering on all of his teammates at the victory parade last year? Two all-star teammates in their 20s aren't enough? The team isn't spending enough when they have the highest payroll in the league and extended all the players he wanted? If he wants to be the clear cut favorite to win the title every year, with the best supporting cast, while being the best player in the world, and his team spends more than anyone else, then yeah I question his competitiveness too.

When all the best players at the gym team up you don't say "Damn, these guys are competitive." It's the opposite. And if they lose and complain their team isn't stacked enough, they're b****es. Lebron is b****ing right now.

J.R. likes this.
  19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He realizes he will be playing probably the greatest team in NBA history when he plays the warriors so he will need all the help he can get.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member