1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN/Kiper selects Hopkins for their all rookie team.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He's gonna be a top-level #2 WR. That's what you're hoping for when you draft a WR at the end of the first round. I don't see him as a #1, but he can catch balls all over the field and is an excellent red zone target. Pair him with a #1 WR that can stretch the field, and he becomes Roddy White.

Despite the article, Rick Smith has not drafted much above average. He's missed on a lot of 2nd and 3rd round picks, not to mention missing on most of his 3rd day picks. That said, Hopkins looks like he's gonna end up being one of Smith's better picks. At the time I remember thinking it was one of the safest picks in the draft, just because of his exceptional hands, but it's clear that Hopkins has the talent and work ethic to be far more than just a possession WR.

He'll have 1,000 yds next season.

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looking at his stats for his rookie year kind of surprised me. I expected much lower numbers based on the number of times I remembered his name being called over the course of the season. I guess if you have a couple monster games your averages for the rest of the season can be pretty meager and still manage 800 yards. Hopefully he continues to improve next year.

3. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

Agree that he is most likely a top-end #2, but I wouldn't count out him becoming a Chris Carter-like player who is a supreme possession receiver that is so dangerous in the red-zone due to his ability to catch anything.

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Love Hopkins, but I'm wondering if you guys feel like we missed out on Cordarrelle Patterson. He's a pro bowler (as a KR) and put up some great versatile numbers even though the Vikings QB situation was similar to ours.

I really liked him before the draft and can't help comparing him to Hopkins...

5. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Well to be fair, if he was on our STs he would have not be in the pro bowl and would not have those rushing TDs. Despite our offense being pretty mediocre he had the best year for a number 2 WR on our team that I can remember and also had some pretty amazing catches through out the season.

6. shastarocket

^ Agreed, the numbers don't tell the whole story. When given the opportunity, both Hopkins and Patterson demonstrated some incredible talent.

I look forward to Hopkins vs. Patterson ala AJ vs. Megatron!

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I think you mean AJ vs. Julio Jones.

Megatron was drafted in 2007 the other two were drafted in 2011.

8. shastarocket

Haha, I was thinking more along the lines of "who's the top WR in the NFL, " Andre or Megatron.

But, I think your analogy is more applicable
    A.J Green vs. Julio Jones
    :grin:

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

It's pretty much like all the draft-nicks said. Patterson had the higher upside, but a lot more risk. Hopkins had a lower ceiling, but was more nfl-ready and a less risky pick.

Patterson's success will depend on how hard he's willing to work and if he can keep his nose clean. Hopkins is a better route runner and has much better hands. Patterson is much better YAC.

I don't think we missed out...yet. It will be a couple more years before we know for sure.

Ironically, we seems to enjoy parting ways with really talented kick returners. Ask Denver and Baltimore.

10. Remii

Remii Member

I think we missed out. Hopkins is the classic case of a "high floor, low ceiling" guy coming out of college _ he was NFL ready and a very polished route runner with excellent hands. Patterson _ no where as polished as Hopkins, BUT he has "elite playmaking skills" and tremendous speed and they can get him the ball in all kinds of ways. And even if he's not a very good route runner at this point, he can still run straight down the field and take the roof off the defense and bust open the box the Texans play in. That makes it harder to double and triple team Dre. And being a top notch returner is a valuable commodity on the field and for the cap.

I don't think we missed out as in Hopkins isn't a good player though, he can catch anything. I just think Patterson would have been of more help to the team as a whole. But you don't have to draft running backs and receivers in the 1st round nowadays anyway. Unless you're for sure you're getting a stud. Probably should have went after a different position in the 1st and drafted a WR later.