1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Jeremy Lin's lost jumper

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Nov 26, 2012.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

trust me, Asik and Patterson do not have better post-up games than Amare and Tyson. So I am not sure what you meant by presumably making a change of frontcourt post-up ability between the Knicks and Rockets to be a reason for Lin's midrange being off so far this year.

Please, there is no need to make excuses between Knicks and Rockets. Guys can just have bad months and/or have trouble adjusting.

2. Exel

Exel Member

Amare and Tyson had no post game, they were just superior pickers and finishers in the pnr which Lin use to great effect to set up that mid-range jumper. The funny thing is he's still getting enough space to get the jumper off, but maybe not as much as he did back in New York which may be throwing him off. But I believe it's a mental issue with him and all he need to do is get over that brick wall that's stopping him at the moment.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yeah hakeem wont be working out or should i say wasting time with asik. On another note i always thought amare should emulate the dream

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We all know this. And we all know Asik and Patterson are no better than Amare and Tyson. And we all know that Lin and Harden and Parsons have many opportunities to get off mid-range jumpers, because of it.

No need to mention the Knicks. No need to use them as an excuse, which is not what you did, but the previous poster did. You make the more accurate point, imo. Lin is hopefully having an off month, or is streaky. He also might be having trouble adjusting to defenses forcing him away from his favorite mid-range spots

5. chonox

chonox Member

[​IMG]

I haerd Jeremy Lin has lost his jumper....

No wonder his shooting has gone cold.

[​IMG]

Completely off topic Quiz Time: Does anyone else use the word 'jumper' instead of sweater? If so where are you from? I've only heard other Aussies from Queensland use this term but I'm fairly isolated from other cultures so am genuinely curious.

6. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

Can't someone just knit him a new one?

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

1 person likes this.
  8. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

can't say the same for rondo

9. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

I got it... I'm from Perth though

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Lin should have been practicing his jumper instead of playing streetball in Taiwan.

11. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

what have you done for me lately, since we are on last season...thank you Dragic for deciding to play your worst, when it was YOUR CLUTCH TIME, we had easy chance to make the playoffs with just one more win in last 8 would have what did Morey say "97% chance of making it"-CHEERS! Thanks for not taking care of the ball, bc you, and well Camby being out showed your weaknesses, he would get caught without a place to go, something that was uncharacteristic of Dragic, but characteristic as well of him as a player...bc of his tempo...he played fast, he tried to be a downhill player, but he's a better shooter, and can't take contact that great...this all showed during his stint to take the team to the playoffs. We lost 6 in a row, Camby came back after loss 4, but by then it was just too late...That OKC game was such a great game, I thought it was a page turner...but with Harden...I ain't even mad Lin can't shoot...ain't like he avg. 4 pts a game on 12 shots or something crazy shooting the ball a lot....he's just not got the same confidence, he rarely has shown the enthusiasm cept a few games, that he showed during the LOF's fave thing to bring up his 7 game little tear, sorry 28 or whatever it was...

Lin can play, the question will be how much work does he put in?-My guess is a lot, he's smart player, that'll keep him in this league, if he can constantly improve during the season(s), and off seasons, than everything will work out....Maloney got a bigger deal than Lin did at the time maybe not exactly numbers wise, but adding inflation to that and all the economics behind that...Dawson paid out the wazooo for a guy who had a "Trevor Ariza playoff run"-thanks be to Dream, Drexler, and CHUCK dishing him wide open practice shots, but he made them, and he made clutch shots...but he was no "John Stockton" (NOT THAT WE WOULD EVER WANT THAT ON THIS TEAM, but maybe a close resemblance of "talents" haha)
    Maloney was old at the time like 27 at the age of that contract....Lin would be vastly underpaid compared to that horrible debacle...then came the Price at PG who found a way to get injured every time he hustled...poor guy...but anyways I regress..Lin needs to practice, and like Lowry did with us, like Connely has done for the Grizz, like any player that progresses to a good/great player, they got to get better every year at something, if they aren't an LBJ, or Kobe, OR MJ, like MJ showed he could come back from not touching a ball pretty much to scoring 52 in the "gaaden" in NY after a certain JVG had some comments on Mike...
    Practice, practice...Lin knows...we'll be the witnesses he's in our long term plans as in the next 4-5 years...which is eons in bball world...but he's young...
    thanks for the ESPN article it talked too much about last year though, almost is NYK dish worthy....who cares what BSPN says btw...
    I was just rambling to the LOF's and fans of Lin who are either hating him, loving him and bashing other players, or only like lin, or don't know how to play basketball, and such....just rambling to those that have something to say about "how he is not utilized correctly", "or the plays, and harden"-guess what guys we don't have VOLUME SHOOTERS ON THIS TEAM...if Lin wanted to he could go out in the first half and do his thing, and second half facilitate....but he hash't even tried...bc this team is so new, and I think he thinks he's not 100% yet....I can't imagine playing NBA ball after that injury, and you just became "good/acknowledged"-he knows he has a lot to prove, and it's like a "Pujols syndrome" he's got it in his head man....that's what he is...even that air ball he had in Mia.....he was TRYING SO HARD, he measured it, which really caused him to leave it short...I'm sure he thought he had a ton of adrenaline so he shot it a little soft, and nice since he was wide open, but then at last second of releasing the ball he prob. realized at that point he had no legs under neath the shot...and thus the air ball...only my assumptions on the play, I think he should have pump faked or pass faked then shot it, or drove hard with his quick first step, and either a reach in foul would have been called, or a foul if he got to the hoop would have maybe been called, (we've seen these no calls all year as he gets hacked slightly at the rim, and hard at times, no call..)...but he has to learn to do more than just think how he played in NY, which was really out of control honestly...he knew he had one last shot to prove, and he went Mike James Toronto on people, because ya he got game, and he is smarter than Mjames so no real comparisons, but he's got to understand that this is his, and Harden's team-he needs to relax, and just keep it up...he's not the worst PG in the L, not the best, he's about Rafer level, a bit below "starter material" (only because of his Defense liability on certain match ups though, I KNOW HIS STATS IN STEALS, but...those are good gambles, we get fast breaks on them, I know...but he so far hasn't shown any reason NYK should have matched "up to a billion dollars" SMH NYK....
    In the end we will win

"MOREY ALWAYS WINS"-signed Daryl Morey to David Stern and the NBA Front Office :)

12. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Eddie Johnson, Calvin Murphy, and Horry need to give Lin some advice on finding his stroke...

13. AFS

AFS Member

14. roxxy

roxxy Member

15. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Maybe Lin is like Tinkerbell, and you really have to believe in him and love him, like Knicks fans did last year.

16. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

I think his shooting woes are a combination of coming back from his knee issue and the tinkering he did to his shot mechanics.

I really think it's unwise for someone to completely retool something that isn't broken.

Landry Fields was shooting about 40% from 3 and near 50% overall his rookie season. He then tinkered with his mechanics to get a faster release, his shot went completely flat with zero arch, and he started bricking EVERYTHING. He can't even hit free throws anymore.

Lin's shot was perfectly fine last season. I have no idea why he tried to retool it. He had unusual mechanics because he shot a bit right of center, but so did Larry Bird! Notice Jeremy's shots had much higher arc last season, they seem a bit flattened out now in comparison. If you watch the rainbow 3's he put up over Marion and Nowitzki in that Dallas game and then watch his 3's now it's obvious.

If it ain't broke don't fix it! smh.

17. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Rondo has improved his jumper.

1 person likes this.
  18. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

When will this myth end? :( Rondo has developed a very respectable jumper in the last 2 years.
    BTW, Kidd also developed into a true 3pt threat!
    Not sure why people are being so dramatic over Lin's shooting woes as if it has no room for improvement :p. Lin has always had a jumper, to me it's clear he's just going through a shooting slump. They happen, no need to panic so soon.
    Hell, last year Toney Douglas was lucky to even hit the backboard and we've seen slowly regain his confidence this year. Give it some time.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

When a jumpshooter struggles with his shot, its probably something with their legs. Look at how brooks struggled with shot after the ankle injury.

20. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Dragic is a stud but I will never forgive him for playing like crap when we had a 94% chance to make the playoffs last season.

He was so much less aggressive when Lowry came back and as a result the team lost its identity.