1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] J.B. Bickerstaff a Candidate for Detroit Pistons Head Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, May 7, 2013.

1. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Wow, funny how we almost hired frank. Is he really that bad of a coach? I mean it's only his first year as a coach on an already bad team. Someone needs to take Keith jones and replace them with someone on the Suns medical staff.

2. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Oh no! Who's going to stitch up Jeremy and Omer?

And no interest in Finch?

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Smart minds think alike. Mchale has never been as good a coach and the Rockets kept trucking along no matter who they put on the floor. We changed the whole team out and played better than last year. We traded all of our pf and beat the Nets with Delfino and go 16-11 the rest of the way. We lose Harden and Lin steps up for some of his best games. We lose Lin and Beverly steps up. We lose Delfino and Garcia steps up. The system works if you plug in the right pieces and tell those pieces what you expect of them. And Morey knows how to get the right pieces to boot!.

McHale deserves some credit for being a motivator but he is not to be mistaken for Jim Valvano. Morey has a system that is superior. Morey is superior. And that's coming from one of Morey's biggest critics early on. I do believe Morey was still very green when he started and a lot of his ideas were mostly theory without practice. But Morey is smart and a quick learner and he has seen his theories in practice and now look out NBA. Mark Jackson said we need to play like the Rockets and now you can see his team is doing that to a degree. Teams want to steal our staff so they can do what we do. Everyone wants more more more of Morey. Morey is changing the game.

1 person likes this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Damn....you went there :)

5. dmoneybangbang

It's pretty obvious Mchale isn't an x's & o's type of coach, which is why Morey put a great staff around him. McHale is a player's coach that uses his experience as a guide. Hopefully, if these asst coaches leave, Morey has a few guys on the radar that can step right in.

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Isn't Finch like Morey's Spoelstra?

7. borednsleepy

borednsleepy Member

Every mediocre team want a piece of Rockets? They thought it'll help them to re-create Rockets'13? YOU WISH!!!!!

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Finch is very low-profile but in many games, the camera pans to our bench showing Harden or Lin, but most frequently Harden, talking in earnest to Finch or poring over some sheets of paper that Finch is holding.

McHale talks about space and pace, side to side ball movement. Fleshing out the offensive schemes are Finch's responsibility, that's why the players talk strategy with him. He's Morey's guy because he supports the analytics approach. When he was still coaching the Vipers, Morey described Finch as a creative coach.

J.B. Bickerstaff handles offense too, but I think he trains the younger guys. Sampson is the guy who's assigned to defense. He's also assigned to Harden.

If one of our assistants leave, I guess we'll promote from within. I do hope we get another defensive guy.

9. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Finch is our Mike Budenholzer. He is being groomed. But Finch isn't going to become head coach overnight. Mike Budenholzer has been groomed for 15+ years as an assistant / lead assistant if I'm not mistaken (and longer including video scout etc)

Except we don't have a Pop on the sidelines.

My guess is Morey over time will bring in different head coaches / assistant coaches such that Finch learns from a variety of great minds/personalities.

McHale as a motivator/players' coach, Sampson clearly one of the better lead assistants, and if we lose Sampson I hope we can get a P. J. Carlesimo as lead-assistant replacement, and perhaps in a year or two, get SVG to replace McHale.

I think the learning curve will be best for Finch this way, and in perhaps 5-8 years, he'll be ready for the head coach role.

But when he is, he'll likely hold onto it for a long time, and be put into a position where he can succeed.

It was probably Rick Adelman's unwillingness to allow a GM-picked assistant coach like Finch to be part of the coaching staff that led to his dismissal. Morey wanted all the knowledge of the top coaches to stay in-house, unlike the case now where Adelman's departure led to a lot of his playbook being discarded. It is also one of the reasons the RGV runs a similar offense to the Rockets, mostly for the players' sake, but also for the development of the coach there.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks. Still trying to get a handle on the new CBA, its ramifications etc.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

DM the GM is always, ALWAYS, prepared. Yes, I believe that.

12. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Clyde Drexler! Why? Because "he brings it each and every night" apart
    from him being a "consummate professional". I actually think he'll be more
    than adequate and his results will be "like clubbing baby seals"......;)

13. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Bickerstaff seems to be a pretty good coach. I think the team will miss him but at the same time, even given the problems the Pistons have had since they broke the team up after 5 consecutive Eastern Conference Finals appearances in the early 00s, it is a good team for a young coach with a pretty young team.

I hope he gets it.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, what is Morey gonna do to replace Disgraced College Coach and Assistant Coach Nepotism?

Maybe Lawrence Frank as the lead assistant and hire Rick Adelman's kid if Rick quits?

15. Nook

Nook Member

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Y! Sources: Milwaukee is interviewing Houston assistant J.B. Bickerstaff for its head coaching job today. <a href="http://t.co/01RrmxaZKR" title="http://tinyurl.com/c493oet">tinyurl.com/c493oet</a></p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/332928972579033088" data-datetime="2013-05-10T18:43:47+00:00">May 10, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You might be surprised. They already have two studs in Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond. They could be adding a top 3 pick this coming draft. And they're about to have 30 million in cap room.

It could be that Dumars will screw it up again and throw big money at scrubs like Villanueva and Ben Gordon - or it could be they get it right this time.

We'll see.

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm wondering if the league knows that Finch is earmarked to be the next Rockets coach? Also, wouldn't the Rockets need to give permission? Maybe it's out there that it's not even worth asking.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Perhaps Finch is just lower on the totem pole. Whenever media do these between quarter interviews and other interviews it's always Sampsonand Bickerstaff, rarely, if ever, Finch.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Phoenix has received permission from Houston to interview assistant coach J.B. Bickerstaff for Suns' head coaching job, sources tell Y!</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/337287728532180992">May 22, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>