1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Insider] Western Conf. worst to first, Top five breakout players in 2011-12

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ElDobleK, Dec 20, 2011.

1. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

Hollinger just ranked the Western Conference teams. He projected our record as 32-34 and placed us at ninth:

9. Houston Rockets

All they can do is lament the trade that wasn't. The Rockets hit an absolute home run with the Pau Gasol deal before the league voided it -- they were getting Nene in free agency and Gasol to pair with him in the frontcourt. A Lowry-Lee-Budinger-Gasol-Nene starting five had the league's most underrated point guard, a defensive stopper who shoots 40 percent on 3-pointers, a wing scorer who can run, and two All-Star caliber big men. That was a top-four team in this season's West, and it would have been the culmination of an impressive rebuilding job -- going from "T-Mac & Yao" to "Nene & Pau" without ever dropping below .500.

Thanks to the league, they instead have a mess. Houston was a better team last season than many realize, winning 43 games with the scoring margin of a 47-win club. Unfortunately, some of the reasons for that success won't carry over into 2011-12. Most notably, they had an unexpectedly productive center platoon with Chuck Hayes and Brad Miller, who are both gone. For now, Patrick Patterson, Jordan Hill and Hasheem Thabeet are manning the middle.

Also, their two best players exhibit downside risk. Scola produced a career year at 31 and will probably take a step back. On the perimeter, Kevin Martin may have trouble duplicating the league's second-best point-per-minute rate, although he'll probably also play more than the 32.5 minutes a game he got a year ago.

This team will score, but Lowry and Lee are their only good defenders, and Lee may not play much with Martin and Budinger around. The latter pair are two of Houston's three best scorers, but Martin is a brutal defender and Budinger isn't much better. Somehow, one of them has to guard the Kobes and LeBrons of the league.

Overall, it looks like this will be a mildly rebuilding season in Houston. Assorted reclamation projects dot the roster (Jonny Flynn, Terrence Williams, Thabeet) and if the Rockets can get one of them back in working order, that will help.

The main reason I have Houston ahead of the Minnesotas and Golden States of the West is opportunity -- sitting on cap space and champing at the bit to use it, with plentiful trade assets to make a deal, the Rockets are likely to be a better team at the end of the season than they are now. They may have missed out on the Gasol-Nene home run, but they're still out hunting.

Also, David Thorpe projected Patrick Patterson as one of his top five breakout players to watch this season:

Patrick Patterson, PF, Houston Rockets
    2010-11: 6.3 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 16.77 PER
    Hollinger 2012 projection: 16.3, 9.4, 17.00 PER

Patterson
    Patterson is already capable of being a starter in the league, but not in Houston, thanks to Luis Scola. So he'll have to settle for being the first big man off the bench. Considering the packed schedule, though, this means more playing time for Patterson. Scola will need more rest each game.

Also factor in the likelihood that Patterson will get 5-10 minutes a game sharing time with Scola when Houston goes small. Patterson can score from the paint and perimeter, and he rebounds and defends like a veteran. He'll be in the running for sixth man of the year. This becomes more likely if Hasheem Thabeet and Jordan Hill do not play through the foul issues they most likely will have. Head coach Kevin McHale's will have no confidence, thus offering Patterson more minutes.

Links for both:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/prev...st/nba-western-conference-projected-standings
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7370218/nba-top-five-players-most-likely-breakout-seasons

2 people like this.
  2. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Oh the trade that could have been. I also think Patterson will be a beast this year barring any setbacks due to injury

3. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I rather be all the way down, we better not end up in the 9th place! It's either playoffs or an atrocious record.

4. thekad

thekad Member

I like how it's just become a matter of fact that we were going to sign Nene.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nice find, OP, and I like your signature. Trees are groovy! :)-

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Maybe better suited for this thread

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Since trading our way into championship contention is not likely (trading our way into a 6th seed is likely and that scares me), I think Morey should put as many eggs in the 2013 draft basket as possible. If this is indeed the difference-making draft that people are saying it is, why not make it our mission to accumulate as many picks as possible, using our veteran talent (Scola & Martin)? We could use those picks, or package them to move up and get a franchise player. To me, this is the best course of action moving forward if we want to get that franchise player. At this point, aquiring a 31 year old player like Gasol is not the answer. We really don't have another superstar to pair him with.

8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

9th... the position we're doomed to get forever.

9. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

it's just funny to get prop for making 43 and just awful cuz we are the rockets uhhhhh happens since the 90's

10. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I too love engrish.com.

11. AggieRocketsFan

Nuggets at #2, wow.

12. VBG

VBG Member

I don't understand this Nuggets love at all. I mean, our team is better or as good at every position but the 5.

13. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I'm sorry did he say Brad Miller was one of the reasons we had a good season?

14. Dei

Dei Member

TBH, I'd rather start Patterson and have Scola off the bench. Scola won't dull - he's been doing this for years and it'll stave off wear and tear. I also think a Patterson+Hill front-court is our best rebounding front-court.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

JHill is gonna make that b*stard his b****

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Who is this defensive stopper that shoots 40% from 3s?

I guess he is talking about Lee, but the context was regarding starters.

17. cod

cod Member

If you read more of Hollinger's articles he's alway pointing out how "brutal" Martin is as a defender. In contrast when he points out how Budinger mighn't be as bad as he is reputed to be from his low opposing PER. He conveniently never mentions how Martin's opposites also have a low PER against him.

Using stats to lie.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Lee would have been the starter had Martin been traded.

1 person likes this.
  19. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

What, it's not the Jazz this year? Or are they #1?

20. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

I don't know what I would do if we end up the 9th seed again.